wet scrubber

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinny

guys check out the attachment i was wondering if anyone has experience with this type of scrubber and how to use it i know kind of how it works but i dont know what fittings tubes filters how and were to run my lines in the fume hood etc and im looking for some help. i dont understand the scrubbers well enough to be able to build one and i found this one here at a semi affordable price and id like to give it a try and maybe help someone else who might need something like this. the description says it comes with the packing and everything but want to double check its the right stuff. also with a scrubber like this can i build a simple fume hood with a sash with a venturi blower setup and exhaust the fumes straight out the roof from my fume hood? i know there will be fugitive gases and that the scrubber im looking at isnt that big as far as the volume it can take. essentially i understand the fumes are corrosive and over time the fugitive fumes will eat it but im wondering if its at an acceptably slow enough pace i dont need to spend another 500 dollars on an air scrubber as well i want to be safe but not overkill

https://www.amazon.com/Chemglass-CG-1830-52-Column-Scrubber-100mm/dp/B08R3HT7J9
\

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240711-232435.png
    Screenshot_20240711-232435.png
    601.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Something is off here, I recently had a client purchase a 22 liter conical head flask (this says 20 liter) but the 4" conical head alone was more than $450. And if you scroll down looking at the chemglass brand they have a 5 liter 3 neck flask for $443.

Something is not kosher for sure.

Plus that size flask will digest 100 ounces of scrap karat gold.
ah good catch this is just the conical head not the whole scrubber. is there someone here i can commission to build me a scrubber for no more than half that size only in my dreams am i doing 50 ozs of gold at a time'

yeah the whole unit for a 3l is like 5k i cat go that route back to a 3 flask system i have the flasks the packing material i know the solution types just need to know the concentrations of water to hydrogen peroxide and lye. i think it was you who was telling me you had it setup with venturi flow and you tried to explain it me but thats the part that overwhelmed me and went over my head if you can help me figure that part out ill be set

yeah the whole unit for a 3l is like 5k i cat go that route back to a 3 flask system i have the flasks the packing material i know the solution types just need to know the concentrations of water to hydrogen peroxide and lye. i think it was you who was telling me you had it setup with venturi flow and you tried to explain it me but thats the part that overwhelmed me and went over my head if you can help me figure that part out ill be set
Why not use the system showed in the other thread.
It is highly scalable at the fraction of the cost.

im going to i could use some help constructing it though ive looked where i could for a tutorial
I built one, but I was having a problem with the solution I am using (sodium carbonate [pool "PH UP" - NOT baking soda] & water) and have decided to use 12% peroxide instead (can now be found in-store at Home Depot). The other issue is that I have to figure out my pump situation. I am using a rotary vane pump from Harbor Freight and I had to rebuild it several times. It then failed after just several (heavy) uses. I think the exhaust I am scrubbing is improved but it needs more time in solution to reduce the corrosive effects it is having on my pump. That's my final issue, slowing the exposure time down.

Good luck finding a tutorial or anyone actually willing to walk you through the process from start to finish - I could not. I may post a video on YT to help you & anyone else to get started. That could actually serve as a sounding board for other ideas to improve the design.

Last edited:
I built one, but I am having a problem with the solution I am using (sodium carbonate & water) and have decided to use 12% peroxide instead (can now be found in-store at Home Depot). The other issue is that I have to figure out my pump situation. I am using a rotary vane pump from Harbor Freight and I had to rebuild it several times and it then failed after just several (heavy) uses. I think the exhaust I am scrubbing is improved but it needs more time in solution to reduce the corrosive effects it is having on my pump. That's my final issue, slowing the exposure time down.

Good luck finding a tutorial or anyone actually willing to walk you through the process from start to finish - I could not. I may post a video on YT to help you & anyone else to get started.
If you have read the threads you see that the recommended pump is either an e-ductor (best)or a pump with no metal parts.
Also it is best to run 2 or 3 bottles in series for the scrubbing.

First a Peroxide bottle then NaOH and either an empty or one more NaOH.

It still needs some studies from your side to build the understanding and then you apply this to the supplies that are close to you for the actual build.
Even the e-ductor can be built.

Edit to add: Diaphragm pumps are relatively cheap and gives plenty vacuum.
E-ductors need running water but one can use a circulation pump and a closed loop from a tank if that is not available.

Last edited:
If you have read the threads you see that the recommended pump is either an e-ductor (best)or a pump with no metal parts.
Also it is best to run 2 or 3 bottles in series for the scrubbing.

First a Peroxide bottle then NaOH and either an empty or one more NaOH.

It still needs some studies from your side to build the understanding and then you apply this to the supplies that are close to you for the actual build.
Even the e-ductor can be built.
I was using 3 bottles. I may go with peroxide, NaOH (x2) and an empty. Is there a pump with plastic parts available? And Sorry, but the whole e-ductor thing remains a mystery to me - I simply wasn't able to understand what it is, how to find one or set it up.

I was using 3 bottles. I may go with peroxide, NaOH (x2) and an empty. Is there a pump with plastic parts available? And Sorry, but the whole e-ductor thing remains a mystery to me - I simply wasn't able to understand what it is, how to find one or set it up.
The vacuum is created from water passing an orifice in a tube.
This is connected to the bottles.
They should be available from Ebay or Alibaba or at least sketches found on the net, maybe even Wikipedia.

Google search shows more information than is needed. Use the search terms

Basic eductor pump

Then try

Eductor pump basics

While a few results will be found in both, several will be different.

Google search shows more information than is needed. Use the search terms

Basic eductor pump

Then try

Eductor pump basics

While a few results will be found in both, several will be different.
The problem isn't understanding the principle of the eductor, the issue for me has been the practical application of the idea in a scrubber. Call me stupid, but I haven't been able to wrap my head around what it looks like or how it is set up for use. What would an eductor system look like in a scrubber and what is the driving force that makes it work? Can someone Illustrate the idea specifically as it applies to a scrubber system?

The vacuum is created from water passing an orifice in a tube.
This is connected to the bottles.
They should be available from Ebay or Alibaba or at least sketches found on the net, maybe even Wikipedia.
So, do I understand correctly that there needs to be a certain amount of water pressure available? How is that obtained, and then, how is that used to pull the exhaust of a reaction vessel through the various bottles of scrubbing liquids?

So, do I understand correctly that there needs to be a certain amount of water pressure available? How is that obtained, and then, how is that used to pull the exhaust of a reaction vessel through the various bottles of scrubbing liquids?
It creates a vacuum.
Since you already have used a vacuum pump, you just put tha vacuum hose onto the e-ductor in stead and open the waterflow.
For proper scrubbing the bottles should be tall ish.
The inlet need to go to the bottom so the gases bubble to the top.

Latest posts

Back