What have we been doing lately?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I’ve been absent lately. The economy hasn’t been kind to me lately and I’m delivering food 60+ hrs/week just to pay bills while I clean up 9 bankrupt corporations.

To the question, I’m mainly a deep woods person. Hunting, Fishing, Panning… Anything to leave pavement behind. If I’m on pavement though I better be on something under 500lbs with over 70HP.

Side note, the website refreshes on iOS and kicks me out in the middle of writing.
That might be a device or net specific thing.
I'm on iOS 15 and Win10 no problems like that.
Safari as Browser?

I’ve been building a garage addition. One man garages take a while.

Attachments

• E6647354-4F0D-45D9-A403-6920D35EE2EE.jpeg
    E6647354-4F0D-45D9-A403-6920D35EE2EE.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
Prospecting, and FINDING little gold flakes in central NJ. It's very little, but I've refined my panning technique to the point where not a single 'fly poop' gets past me. Closing in on the best spot in an old glacial meltwater channel. Going downhill bit by bit to find the spots where the water slowed and dropped the most bits. After that spot, there are probably dozens of other similar channels all along the moraine, which is MILES long. Also a number of larger creeks cut through it, which I might check out too if I can find a gravel bed in any of them.

Aside from that, doing minor landscaping work, stripping electronics, and so forth.

Sitting here enjoying my coffee...
Later today, I'm going to visit my neighbors with a 4" dredge. They bought it used a few years back and the intended claim purchase fell through. It's a Keene and appears to be in good shape. She showed it to me a month ago and asked if I was interested. We're not sure if the 4' or a 6" will be a better fit for our claims.

Along with the hardrock exploration we cranked up at 3200 ft this past season, we also have about 1700yds of creek running through the 480 acres. We snuck away from the hard work of hardrock for a few days on the creek and found several Very good spots on the creek that demand a closer look.

After much thought we decided to offer the couple an opportunity to put the dredge into use and get some adventure and maybe a nice poke of gold. Today, we'll be looking it over and writing up a list of mods and tune-ups for them. This will include a hot water unit , since the water is running less than 40F all season.

Next Spring, we'll be doing some serious sampling. They'll be playing a few days a week and we'll be working it during the bulk of the week. I am excited by the possibilities. The valley below us has historically produced over 170,000 oz of gold (that was reported). The hardrock has barely been touched and the creek has never been worked. Considering the quartz float that has made it to the creek and the small gold that we found in several places that hasn't worked it's way down to the bottom yet. I think we've got really good odds of success with the dredging option.
Now I just need to get a thick wetsuit, a regulator and a full face mask.

It's gonna be a long wait till the snow melts...lol.

goldshark, I don't remember seeing your post before. What video got taken down?

Dave
Hi Dave, I am a blasting contractor, I put up a video of a blast I did. After I read the forum rules, I learned we don't mention, or use the term "explosives", on this forum. I am totally legit, with all state and federal licensing requirements.But, I understand.

Hi Dave, I am a blasting contractor, I put up a video of a blast I did. After I read the forum rules, I learned we don't mention, or use the term "explosives", on this forum. I am totally legit, with all state and federal licensing requirements.But, I understand.
We would prefer not to talk about making them.

99.999999% of energetics are used safely but we don’t want people making fulminates or metal nitrides out of precious metals.

After I read the forum rules, I learned we don't mention, or use the term "explosives", on this forum.
I believe that rule only applies to --- we do NOT discuss &/or teach people on this forum how to intentionally make explosives - such discussion will result in your being banned !!!

Or as Lou said
We would prefer not to talk about making them.

On the other hand - in refining - there is a very real potential to inadvertently or unintentionally make explosive compounds (some VERY explosive) such as metal fulminates nitrides or acetylides

Therefore - as a matter of safety concerns - we have had many discussions on how those explosive compounds are inadvertently or unintentionally made & therefore how to avoid making them

There has also been discussion here on the forum of members "working" with explosives as part of their work/job such as to bust LARGE boulders in placer mining - drill/blast for hard rock mining - drill/blast bed rock for logging road construction &/or blowing LARGE stumps for logging road construction - all of which I have done & have posted about in discussions on this forum about this kind of work

What is absolutely forbidden on this forum is giving explicit instruction on how to make explosive compounds &/or how to make explosive devices --- that will most certainly get you banned
still wondering why the video was taken down.
So IMO - I don't really understand why your video would have been taken down as it sounds like its just a - "this is my job" video & not a "how to make" video

Personally - as a pyro nut myself - I would love to see that video - especially if its a video in your mining work/operations (or even a building demo) :):cool::love:(y)

Wish I had some videos of blowing stuff up when I was working log road building & mining o_Oo_O crazy fun stuff

Edit to add; - with all that said - is there any reason goldshark can't re-post his video --- I would certainly like to see it

Kurt

Last edited:
I for one, have not seen it nor heard any reasons for the video been taken down.
Was there any notification given when it was “purged”?

goldshark, I've just looked through the moderators logs, and I don't see any indication that any video was ever removed.

I checked starting with June 10, when you said you were doing the foundation blasting, and if you were able you'd post a video the next day. I don't see that you ever made that post, and there's no record of it being edited or removed (all things that we can see in the mod logs).

When the forum switched to the new software a year ago, I was excited to see it allowed posting videos directly to the forum. I struggled for weeks trying to get it to work. Even though I was posting in accepted formats, and the file size was within the correct range, it just wouldn't work for me. I tried many different settings in my video editing software, and finally found one that worked for me.

I'm wondering if you thought you had posted it, but for some reason the software didn't accept it?

The easiest way to include a video is to post it to youtube, then include a link in a new post. For help, see: Tips for Navigating and Posting on the Forum.

Dave

It was a good summer/fall for us here. We got a lot done and had a lot of fun. Most recently, my family had the opportunity, through our church, to help handing out turkeys and all the fixn's for Thanksgiving dinners. My oldest played on both offensive and defensive lines for his 7th grade team this year. He liked it and says he will play next year & he intends to try out for the high school team when he is a freshman. That would be nice because our house backs up to the high school property and we could walk to the stadium to see him play home games. We go see as many varsity games as we can, though I think my 2 little ones are only interested in the concessions stand and the half time show. Dakota did really well in the playoffs this year, and it was a treat to cheer them on.

We had a blast searching out parks and carnivals this summer. We were even able to make it to the air show at Selfridge ANG base. The boys were arguing over who would be a better ball-turret gunner. I love those B-17's!

HV/AC work was very slow, but thankfully I had a lot of opportunity to pour concrete on the side this year. I got to help pour the main floor at a skate park, and was able to remove and replace the garage, driveway, porch, patio and walkways for my sister & brother-in-law. I even got to enlarge my buddy's driveway so he could have more room to shoot some hoops.

All in all, I have to say, it was an enjoyable year!

Happy Holidays All!
mike

Attachments

• 20221119_132037.jpg
    20221119_132037.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221119_132003.jpg
    20221119_132003.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221119_125632.jpg
    20221119_125632.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221025_155128.jpg
    20221025_155128.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221011_072418.jpg
    20221011_072418.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221011_152024.jpg
    20221011_152024.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221011_072330.jpg
    20221011_072330.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220709_144044.jpg
    20220709_144044.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220827_130807.jpg
    20220827_130807.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220709_142736.jpg
    20220709_142736.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220709_142239.jpg
    20220709_142239.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220907_181959.jpg
    20220907_181959.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221005_114151.jpg
    20221005_114151.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
That might be a device or net specific thing.
I'm on iOS 15 and Win10 no problems like that.
Safari as Browser?
iOS 14.8, iPhone SE2, Safari
Waiting on a stable update to 16, my SE (old phone) is doing horrible ad-related things on 16.1.1

Goldshark,
Thanks for re posting that. It did sound a lot like The Vulcan Cannon.
How many yards would you guess was moved/broken by that 1000lbs of explosives?

Back