What to do of copper nitrate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrushi

Supporting Member
I have nearly 1800 to 1900 liters of copper nitrate and the copper content per liter is 150 to 175 gms.
What should i do .

I tried recovery copper by depositing it on iron but the results were not satisfactory and also while melting that copper powder it was found that it had iron also.

thank you
hrushi

While I am the wrong one to ask as to details I would think you would want to use an electrowinning cell using a pure copper sheet as cathode and graphite anode.

If it is free from other contaminates just evaporate it down to copper nitrate crystals and sell it as such.

Oz,

Sorry for butting in on your topic hrushi.

Quick question, OZ, where would you sell your copper nitrate crystals. I don't believe I have ever seen that as a solution to waste handleing.

Even if you could give it away in solid form, it sounds better than what I have heard of for options.

Thanks,
Nick

Copper nitrate solutions can be dehydrated and converted to nitric acid via decomposition and passing the brown gas into cold distilled water or hydrogen peroxide:

2 Cu (NO3)2 → 2 CuO + 4 NO2 + O2
3NO2 + H2O → 2HNO3 + NO

The left over copper oxide can then be converted to copper metal in the presence of hydrogen or carbon monoxide:

CuO + H2 → Cu + H2O
CuO + CO → Cu + CO2

Or you can convert it to copper chloride to use in the AP reaction:

CuO + 2 HCl → CuCl2 + H2O

Copper nitrate solution (6 molar or less) can also be converted to nitric acid via electrolysis. The anode and cathode are inert materials (graphite) and the copper metal is removed form the cell as it accumulates at the negative terminal. The nitric produced will not be 100% free of base metals, but will be usable in further dissolving reactions to remove more base metal.

You can also cement out the copper with aluminum or iron if the copper nitrate solution is not too saturated.

Steve

Oz said:
While I am the wrong one to ask as to details I would think you would want to use an electrowinning cell using a pure copper sheet as cathode and graphite anode.

If it is free from other contaminates just evaporate it down to copper nitrate crystals and sell it as such.

I go tall this CuNO3 as a byproduct of silver refining
And as of electrowinning cell i do not know more is it economical :?:
I am doubtful that it is free from other contaminates.
thank you Oz

lazersteve said:
Copper nitrate solutions can be dehydrated and converted to nitric acid via decomposition and passing the brown gas into cold distilled water or hydrogen peroxide:

2 Cu (NO3)2 → 2 CuO + 4 NO2 + O2
3NO2 + H2O → 2HNO3 + NO

The left over copper oxide can then be converted to copper metal in the presence of hydrogen or carbon monoxide:

CuO + H2 → Cu + H2O
CuO + CO → Cu + CO2

Or you can convert it to copper chloride to use in the AP reaction:

CuO + 2 HCl → CuCl2 + H2O

Copper nitrate solution (6 molar or less) can also be converted to nitric acid via electrolysis. The anode and cathode are inert materials (graphite) and the copper metal is removed form the cell as it accumulates at the negative terminal. The nitric produced will not be 100% free of base metals, but will be usable in further dissolving reactions to remove more base metal.

You can also cement out the copper with aluminum or iron if the copper nitrate solution is not too saturated.

Steve

how to dehydrated Copper nitrate solution and converted to nitric acid
I have tried cement Cu on Fe but results were not satisfactory
And can you help to cement Cu on aluminum and can aluminum recovered again :?:
Steve i am interested in buying your DVD's and I am from india are the shipping charges involved in it if not please tell through PM
Thank you
Hrushi

I'm working on a short video of converting dirty copper nitrate solutions into dilute nitric acid for reuse. It will be posted on my website when it is completed.

I'll add India to the shipping calculator on my website today.

Steve

Hi guys
thank you all for your help
i had few questions
which method is best for copper recovery (Fe/Al/electrowinning cell)?
Which will give me the max recovery of copper?
If I go for electrowinning cell will it give 100% recovery of copper present in CuNO3 or there will be some pregnent sol of copper will be there? I have read somewhere that in electrowinning cell we dont get 100% recovery of any metal atleast i know about silver.
thank you
hrushi

hrushi:
You can recover the copper adding table salt to the copper nitrate to form copper chloride,then dip some slabs of aluminium or iron and you will get a brown precipitate of copper which needs more refining,so you can use an electrolytical cell to get pure copper.
Regards.
Manuel

Juan Manuel Arcos Frank said:
hrushi:
You can recover the copper adding table salt to the copper nitrate to form copper chloride,then dip some slabs of aluminium or iron and you will get a brown precipitate of copper which needs more refining,so you can use an electrolytical cell to get pure copper.
Regards.
Manuel
Manuel
It seems to me like cementing Cu by Al or Fe but only difference is instead of adding HCl i have to add NaCl if i am not wrong.
Can you explain what purity of Cu will i get
Can you give me more help regarding electrilytic cell for Cu
Regards
Hrushi

Hrushi:

The copper recovered by cementation is 99% pure,but it is unuseful for any purpose because copper needs to be very very pure (0.9995).This is why you need to refine the crude copper in an electrolytic cell.I post for you an article about the elctrolytic refining process and another one about copper scrap.

I hope it helps.

Have a nice day

Manuel

Randy:

Reaction between copper nitrate and iron is a reversible one in acidic pH,then you have got to add some water to avoid this fact,it means a lot of volume because you have to add 5 lt of wter for 1 lt of copper nitrate solution.BTW,from the inquartation process you recover the silver and copper adding table salt forming a chlorides mixure (silver and copper),the silver chloride goes down,the copper chloride still in solution just waiting to dip an iron or aluminium slab to recover it.

Randy,it a pleasure talking with you.

Regards.

Manuel

Manuel

Thanks For Your help.
Sorry for delay in reply. :oops:
Information which you provided was very useful and it helped me alot.
I recovered 228 Kgs of Cu by cementation on Al. It was better and fast compared to Fe. :lol:
Once again thank you

hrushi

hrushi said:
Manuel

Thanks For Your help.
Sorry for delay in reply. :oops:
Information which you provided was very useful and it helped me alot.
I recovered 228 Kgs of Cu by cementation on Al. It was better and fast compared to Fe. :lol:
Once again thank you

hrushi

were you able to re-use the nitric after this procedure

Latest posts

Back