What to do of copper nitrate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shadybear said:
hrushi said:
Manuel

Thanks For Your help.
Sorry for delay in reply. :oops:
Information which you provided was very useful and it helped me alot.
I recovered 228 Kgs of Cu by cementation on Al. It was better and fast compared to Fe. :lol:
Once again thank you

hrushi

were you able to re-use the nitric after this procedure

No as i used to add urea I didnt get HNO3 back.

distilling copper nitrate, (adding copper or gold plated copper can assist creating NOx fumes in boil, which also is a way I get gold plating from Pins. killing two birds one stone) would get nitric back from copper chloride solutions, bubble NOx gas into water, for dilute nitric, which can then evaporate water from dilute nitric untill 68%HNO3 azeotrope, this would also concentrate the copper solution left behind'
nitric acid form an azeotrope with water, (many acids form azeotropes), so if just evaporating a dilute nitric solution, below the boiling point of the acid (for the concentration that the acid is at the time in solution), would boil off water (or other volitile components if in solution), making the acid more concentrated in solution, up to the azeotrope of the acid, which for nitric is about 68%, further boiling would only boil off the 68% solution till dry, meaning it cannot be further concentrated by this method,by using the boiling point information a person can have a good idea if they are boiling off acid or just water, the concentration can be tested with specific gravity, or judged by how it attacks metals.

CuNO3/H2O---distilled---> NO2 + NOx + H2O,

2NO2 + H2O---> HNO3 + HNO2
3NO2 + H2O---> 2HNO3 + NO

0% HNO3 (100% H2O) boils 100 degC density 1.00,
and 20% HNO3 density 1.115- boiling point 103 degC,
and 30% HNO3 density1.180 boiling point 107 degC,
and 50% HNO3 density 1.310 boiling point 116 degC,
and 70% HNO3 density 1.413 boiling point 121.5 degC.

as you can see the boiling points change with how concentrated the acid is. keeping below the boiling point most all of your acid stays in solution, and just water vapors off, above the boiling point acid leaves solution in vapor's with the water.

other acids and have reaction similar to this. for more information you can study the azeotrope of acid, boiling points, acid concentrating.

Found a tidy little way of dealing with copper nitrate... I've been using scrap iron to push out the copper to form ferrous nitrate. Lots of ferrous nitrate to deal with and the copper is a loss, so... just for the heck of it took a gallon of the copper nitrate and slowly titrated in enough sodium borohydride (Boromet brand is NaBH4 stabilized with NaOH) to raise the pH to about 6.

The copper dropped faster than a drunk hooker off a balconey. It was wonderous. A very clean sharp drop yielding a clear soln. A few rinses with distilled water and that copper should be ready to drop more silver and if I'm not mistaken, the solution should be chock full of sodium nitrate which my fruit trees should love. It only took a small amount of NaBH4 to do the copper drop, so it appears this is economical, despite NaBH4 costing over $250 per 5 gallons. At the very least i should be able to save some $$$ on copper. Gotta be careful tho... the rxn is vigorous and you don't want to get any of this stuff in yer eyes.

One pound of Sodium Borohydride will drop:

Copper - 7 pounds
Gold - 14 pounds
Silver - 22 pounds
Palladium - 11 pounds
Platinum - 10 pounds

shadybear said:
That sounds great but I wonder if there is a cheaper more readily available chemical to do this, or is this just simply a PH change to cause drop
It's not due to pH change as hydroxides are not produced in any great quantity. It's due I suppose to the generation of hydrogen gas primarily. Not sure why it works so well but it does.

goldsilverpro said:

Copper - 7 pounds
Gold - 14 pounds
Silver - 22 pounds
Palladium - 11 pounds
Platinum - 10 pounds
Seems economical even for copper 8)

goldsilverpro said:

Copper - 7 pounds
Gold - 14 pounds
Silver - 22 pounds
Palladium - 11 pounds
Platinum - 10 pounds

Metals in elemental form? not some compound?
Could some company call this storm precipatant?
Will this work with copper chloride?

jim

http://www.google.com/search?q=sodiumborohydride+reducing+gold%2C+copper++metals&btnG=Search&hl=en&sa=2

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sodiumborohydride+reducing+PGM%27s&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:RkzuiEJy5ecJ:www.siliconinvestigations.com/PTREC/us5304233.pdf+sodiumborohydride+reducing+PGM%27s&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

is this sodium borohydride available? making it seems a bit complicated.

distilling copper nitrate, (adding copper or gold plated copper can assist creating NOx fumes in boil, which also is a way I get gold plating from Pins. killing two birds one stone) would get nitric back from copper chloride solutions, bubble NOx gas into water, for dilute nitric, which can then evaporate water from dilute nitric untill 68%HNO3 azeotrope, this would also concentrate the copper solution left behind'

How would I collect the gold once I add finger for deplating

Precious metal expert,

This is not a good process for fingers. they should be treated differently, LazerSteve has a great process for fingers.

You need sulfuric with nitrates to create nitric acid,

I spent 8 hour tonight trying to make a post on my approach to pins and making nitric, and copper sulfate in same batch. must have lost contact with server and my computer ate it, I should learn to use that save button.
As a one finger typer and no skills in writing or spelling this will take awhile, I need sleep now, I will try and rewrite this, and post it soon.

I wrote a hard to read version when I first joined, hopefully I have improved on my writing skills and can make it were it is readable and people can understand it.

You can recover the copper adding table salt to the copper nitrate to form copper chloride,then dip some slabs of aluminium or iron and you will get a brown precipitate of copper which needs more refining,so you can use an electrolytical cell to get pure copper

This is a quote from Manuel.
I was wondering about the solution thats left over.
What is it called
I would like to evaporate it and save it like as powder

It will form a crystal when hot, but absorbs water from the air when room temperature.

This was discussed before here:

Copper Solutions

There are more posts on the topic, but I've got to run to the in-laws now for Christmas, so I'll have to get back to this thread later.

Steve

frank maybe just an arrow --> was too hard for them to to draw?
or maybe they think it might equal?
it has no meaning that way in a chemical formula,
I may put one after an equation to note to myself that I am unsure if this is correct, or that I need follow up on this equation with ratio's ect.

copper cycle
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=copper+cycle&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10

Okay... so here we are with loads of CuO from the borohydride drop. H2 gas was mentioned as a reducing agent, but by what method? Bubbling the gas thru a suspension of copper oxide in water? Heat as well? Dry gassing with heat? Seems like somethings got to aggressively kick off that oxygen but I don't know.

hrushi said that when he cements the copper from the copper nitrate solution with iron there is iron in the copper powder.

I saw that new video of his and he uses these copper powders to cement the silver from the silver nitrate solution

I would like to know how is the iron issue handled or it is not important and that I can use the copper powder for cementing silver without any problems
Cam I just use it as it is.

Latest posts

Back