why not h2so4 h202

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow this is realy something
if i understand you right ,you mean that filtering nitric acid with ,let says 3 filter paper just to be sure that nothing pass tru,we put those filter on the side(maybe in a ball form because we have sqeeze them to get the last drop),forget theyr are there ,they dry because it is what paper do when left alone... we got a litle heat or just a static spart over it and woush we start a fire
did i understand you right???

ericrm said:
well i guest its the easy answer ,but you once ask the same question so did YOU find an other hobby?

If I asked any questions like that when I first got here to this forum, it would be very different than someone asking it now. The search button or a quick read through some posts now you can find safety advice very easily now. When I joined it was about 2 weeks after the forum was created, and many of the moderators were not even here yet. I may have been a pioneer in the stupid question field, but somebody had to get it started. I also didn't start any processing for a long time of reading and watching Steve's videos.

I was just saying that if you are asking questions like that, you should be asking them before you do it, especially in your house. This is about you and your family's safety. That should be your first concern. I know it is the concern of the forum, and the moderators.

Jim

jim i know your right ,im not even arguing with you for real...
have you read about photo bacterium last post,about the nitro cellulose thing,is he right?

There are many dangers involved in what we do, mixing metals and acids, many of the fumes are deadly.

A gas can come off of a solution even if you do not boil.
A gas can evaporate and come into the air with very little heat (even in room temperature water and other acidic gases evaporate into the air.
Do not work in the house you will poison your house and possibly you and your family.
Many explosive mixtures are made with acids and metals or organic materials.
Do not play games with something you do not know about, chemistry is no game, it can be very dangerous, study hard, do not experiment trying to make a new wheel (that wheel may just run over you and kill you).

Nitrating of organics would need concentrated solutions; this is not to say that with some types of very fine metal powders that filtering more dilute solutions could also contain a dangerous situation in the dry paper.

Follow proven procedures (they have been proven for a reason), you are only going to hurt yourself or someone else by experimenting with things you do not know about, if you want to learn more take a few years of college chemistry and learn what dangers your putting yourself in by playing chemist without having the knowledge of danger or what you are doing, then you may be educated enough to know why it is best to follow the proven procedures, and how futile it is to try and reinvent the wheel (as Harold say’s it is already round).

We do not want to hear that you or your family are in the hospital or the grave because you wanted to try something new thinking you may be able to improve a process you know little about.

Think about it much of the chemistry we use has been developed over the centuries by very knowledgeable chemist, do you still feel you’re smarter than them and can reinvent the wheel they made? You are much better off learning the things they knew, and learning the processes they developed over the centuries.

ericrm,

it is a definite fact that what i told you is true but please, as a personal favor, stop what you are doing and move your experiment back outside.it is a definite fact also that if you insist on doing something like this that everyone is warning you is so dangerous, you will find yourself alone in your quest because no one will help you harm your self or others. its a simple thing to to get from the thrift store something to heat your solution and do it outside, theres no real need to stay with it in the cold just monitor it closely, keep a check on it.

My friend Arthur, (the person that gave my his shor kit), continued using AP & other chemicals I didn't follow the safety procedures... well he called me yesterday & told me he's coughing blood & asked me if I had an idea of what could be wrong. My answer, "I'm afraid it cought up with you". He understood very well what I ment; his reply; " Oh s**t!"

Eric, listen to the voice of experience!

Take care & be safe!

Phil

:shock: Man, go to a swift second hand store and buy a crock pot for a dollar or two. Wrap insulation around it and keep it away from family, children, pets and other animals. In other words: Keep your obsession under lock and key outside of your home.
If Child Services knew of your indoor laboratory, they would take any minors from the home. You can count on nosy neighbors to 'drop a dime' (old fashioned way to say snitch) on you. If you are going to mix sulfuric with peroxide, add peroxide to the scrap first, then pour in the sulfuric. I'm not saying that I approve of this method, but I'm not disapproving either. I only disapprove of the location of your lab. Dr. Poe

ok
after a lot of thinking that i have done recently,i have come to the conclusion thati will need your opinion and help

i have realysed that i cannot do the refining inside because of the risk.
now i wanna work i a good environement
here what i have at my disposition right now
a shed,witch is not heated and not isolated
i have acces to 110v current but only 15 amp total
i can heat the place with a wood stove(fire) but only while im working in.
i have enuf place to build a decent fume hood

does my chemical are in danger if they freeze ?(h2o2,hcl,n2so4,cucl,aucl,hno3,etc ,etc)
will i be able to work in a place like that? the shed will be freezing cold half a week than heated with FIRE(but only during day time and while im in it)
im a bit scared of hydrogene and fire going boom...
anyway im waiting for your opinion
thank you

sorry for the bad english

ericrm:
Please use correct spelling and puncuation in your posts.IE:commas,periods,apostrophies.And if you have a difficult time with spelling,I believe one of our mods stated that you can you "SpellCheck" on any computer.No offense,but it is extremely difficult to understand a series of sentences that are all run together,with an overabundance of misspelled words.We can help you faster,and with more accuracy if we fully understand what you are trying to convey.

if you build the fume hood first, i dont think a build up of gas will be a problem. im sure alot of people that refine in sheds and shops heat with wood or coal as it is the most cost effective energy source.you may be able to supplement your electrical needs with a heavy duty rated power cord from your house if need be, take it up when you finish working for the day.you may need to vent air from the outside to your fume hood to counteract the draw from the heater.

if i was to turn off the fume hood with ap in it,do you think that the h2 release in the night accumulate enuf to cause danger in the morning?
also you didnt talk about the freezing temperature on the chemical,does that mean it would not alter the chemical?

if you set up the AP in a 5 gallon bucket, put a lid on the bucket.drill a 1/4 inch hole in the lid and fasten a piece of tubing into the lid with a good epoxy (i use JB-Quik) and vent out of the shed. also add another tube that extends to the bottom of the bucket and add a bubble stone, not only to add oxygen but also to keep the mixture agitated. the freezing point of hcl acid is well below that of water and a moving liquid seldom freezes.freezing temps will slow the reaction but not stop it and the presence of free oxygen insures the reaction will continue even in freezing temps.

Ericrm,
Geo is talking about a setup similar to the 2nd picture here
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=9722&hilit=contest&start=40#p96640
And I took notice that your spelling and punctuation is much better.Thank you very much,it does help us,so that we may help you better.

ericrm said:
jim i know your right ,im not even arguing with you for real...
have you read about photo bacterium last post,about the nitro cellulose thing,is he right?

no need to take my word for it.

i suggest doing a web search for your materials & processes, in addition to using forums like goldrefiningforum.

if this was a "Walmart" type store, the 'gold refining' department would be one aisle over from the "explosives" section.

and at the ends of the aisles they would both have Gnarly pictures of people injured or killed by bad procedure. in real life people get hurt because of malice and/or carelessness. when working with industrial-strength chemicals without a strong chemistry background, things happen because 'i just didn't know' - for example me and my "file cabinet" full of something very similar to gun-cotton.

i guess one of New Year's resolutions is to dig into my jar collection, re-wet those filters, and create a NEW filing system ! 8)

Latest posts

Back