Does anyone know how to use the uw-195 platinum stripper?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see that like36 people have downloaded the msds, and im guessing one of you guys are tempting to figure the leaching formula out. I can tell you it is one part uw195 uw19one part 65% HNO3. Ummm if you do. I do have the reduction flow sheet but no directions on how to use it. Thats where i need to help. From what i have used it, it doesnt put off the nitric oxide that AR does. I think it a bit safer leaching chemical. But i dont know. Its new to me and dont understand it just yet, and i might not ever understand it but i hoping with yoyr fuys expience we can crack it and we can benefit from it . what do you Vets think?

I cannot see how citric acid and nitric would do much good besides maybe etch reactive metals like zinc or maybe aluminum.
I do not know enough about organic chemistry Just my opinion here.

There is some chloride involved, from the ammonium chloride, so an extremely weak aqua regia could possibly form, but with the ammonium chloride I believe it could tend to counter that with platinum in solution if the nitric was not so high in content, or was removed.

Personally, my opinion is if I bought this I would chuck it up to education, I cannot see it being much good.

If it possibly by chance does leach some platinum into solution, I think you would have to get rid of free nitric acid, that is if the ammonium compound did not precipitate (after nitric was eliminated). If platinum was in solution after de-NOxing a stannous test may work to check for platinum in solution.

If this is the MSDS, I do not See it really working with darn.
Not sure how the carbon would affect this but I cannot see any benefits from it.

I think I would forget it and move on.
Looks like a waste of money to me.

I would ask the company to prove their claims or refund my money. like maybe that would not just be another waste of time?
My opinion only. but what do I know? Not much about this.

Thank you for you opinion much appreciated. Okey what should i do with it without hurting my pocket? I feel pretty stupid for jot thinking this far a ahead. She did tell me to just use sodium hydroxide to neutralize it. Then it would be ok to dump? Or no?
I am still going to hold out to see if anyone else as anything to add befor i think about getting rid of it.

Well the only example I could see that the company gives with catalyst is for pd, and it looks like pellets.
They used half their solution and half nitric. Nitric alone will leach pd although their additive seems to speed it up a bunch.
Would like to see an example for pt.
Could be for pt it is only done as an additive for stripping electrolytically.

Have you used it at all? Like processed any cats with it or whatever?

Have you used a stannous test to see if it actually held anything into solution?

Try cementing with Al or Zn

I dont see why it wouldnt follow the rules of the electromotive series of metals.

I think that was the hint a very intelligent member tried to give earlier.

Topher_osAUrus said:
Have you used it at all? Like processed any cats with it or whatever?

Have you used a stannous test to see if it actually held anything into solution?

Try cementing with Al or Zn

I dont see why it wouldnt follow the rules of the electromotive series of metals.

I think that was the hint a very intelligent member tried to give earlier.

Please try reading the full thread along with other realavent post's on the subject posted by the OP in other threads before just making a post to say something.

Now that I know it's a bunch of nitric acid and in light of the patent, I understand better.

Do not try to cement it out with metals!

While maybe aluminum and certainly zinc/copper would work, it would be very wasteful of aluminum and/or zinc and produce fumes. The aluminum might not even react unless there is sufficient chloride or citrate to depassivate it and if it does, much fume will be produced. More HCl would have to be added.

The truth is, this type of leach is annoying to recover. You might get away concentrating the values with a weak base ion exchange column. The other option is to concentrate it down -- the ammonium and citrate both get oxidized as the solution is transformed to a chloride solution.

Poor man's ar. Lol
I'm not understanding the citric part Lou. This is all well above my pay grade but would citric acid make colloidal gold or does all that excess nitric prevent it?

Lou said:
Now that I know it's a bunch of nitric acid and in light of the patent, I understand better.

While maybe aluminum and certainly zinc/copper would work, it would be very wasteful of aluminum and/or zinc and produce fumes. The aluminum might not even react unless there is sufficient chloride or citrate to depassivate it and if it does, much fume will be produced. More HCl would have to be added.

The truth is, this type of leach is annoying to recover. You might get away concentrating the values with a weak base ion exchange column. The other option is to concentrate it down -- the ammonium and citrate both get oxidized as the solution is transformed to a chloride solution.

I have tried using zinc on in it. It doesnt work. It just goes into solution.
I am a new and dumb to these refining methods and yeah its above my pay grade by far.

The truth is, this type of leach is annoying to recover. You might get away concentrating the values with a weak base ion exchange column.

Could you exsplain more sir? Not sure if i understand what you are saying . what weak base ion ? And how to apply? Exchsnge column?

The other option is to concentrate it down -- the ammonium and citrate both get oxidized as the solution is transformed to a chloride solution.

You might be on to something there but. If i remember correctly i tried a stannous test and it didnt have no effect . i know the pgm ppm in solution because i had a lab test it. The palladium was naturally high pd ppm but the rest if pgms ppm was low. But i was working in winter season and i was working in mo winter weathet with no heat at the time. Now i got more glass, pumps, and exc. But much more equipment to build and aquire.
The main pgm solution woulnt test positive with stannous but the water that i used to soak the honey combs in to wash them and then concentrated(evaporated) the wash solution down, it would test postive with stannous then.
Would that explain your theory?
Unfortunately i am waiting for DNR to show up for inspection before i start anymore studies.

Gold with High nitric in solution, the stannous test will not work, the stannous chloride has to reduce the gold to a metal colloidal solution, nitric keeps gold oxidized. Or re-oxidizes the gold back into solution, which can happen if you just have a little free nitric which can be seen (sometimes) as a violet color reaction that soon disappears...

I cannot say how the stannous chloride test works with PGM solutions, but I would guess (it is still a reduction reaction), and free nitric acid has similar effects on the stannous tests, the nitric keeping the metals oxidized in solution, preventing a positive test even with metals in solution...

Palladium said:
Open mouth.... insert foot.
Catalytics don't have gold. Lol

Actually in the higher end cars 2012 and newer have some gold in the cats. I read it online in article, ill try to find it again. The lady rep from Uwin brought it to my attion also and i begun to research and find proof. Ill check to see if i can find the artical again right now.

Latest posts

Back