Gold inside chips (black, flatpacks - not CPU)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it looks like some people can not read and understand what others are saying

it really does not matter what I say on any there will be furious reaction on and pointing "hey you are quite new so shut and listen what daddy says"

ok I shut up then

indeed how could I be so dare not to admire "PRO's" advice

whatever

some888 said:
it looks like some people can not read and understand what others are saying

it really does not matter what I say on any there will be furious reaction on and pointing "hey you are quite new so shut and listen what daddy says"

ok I shut up then

indeed how could I be so dare not to admire "PRO's" advice

whatever

Hope you enjoyed your stay here and learned all you needed to learn.

Jim

no it was very stressful and 100% useless to post anything and nothing to learn

actually I had one good advice

http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=18802&p=189728#p189757

rest was just waste of time

besides it is insane trying to prove me and parrot like repeating on two pages about how dangerous sulfuric acid is after I wrote in my first post

P.S Whoever reads it please do not attempt unless you know how to work with sulfuric acid in details!!!

what I you trying to prove me ??????

some888, i apologize. i dont mean to come off as a hard case on this but i speak from personal experience when i say that you can destroy your health not knowing any better. its nothing personal against you at all. i would have responded to anyone the same way. if you follow the link from solar_plasma, you will see where i tried the dissolution of the plastic bodies. i was very careful and was curious about the outcome. its not something that can be controlled easily. you really have to be standing next to it to keep the heat regulated. when the heat builds, the reaction gets out of control and you get a boil over. its never "just right", its always too little or too much. its way too much danger for the little reward you get when theres a lot less dangerous way to accomplish the same thing.

jimdoc said:
some888 said:
can you please quote me where did I say it is safe?

You have been a forum member since; "Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:43 am"

If you have been studying the forum like all good members do, you would have read about the dangers of that process, and the fact that it is highly discouraged here on the forum.

Some processes just aren't worth the risk, this is one of them.

Jim

I agree.
You did not invented anything, just did what was documented and discussed here long time ago. What is wrong is that long time ago it was concluded that this process is unsuitable for hobbyists and thread was left only to show why not to use this process, yet every now and then somebody come here and talk loudly that "Yes we can".
From your first posts in this thread it was clear that you did not read what was written here before you started posting. I tried to explain or show you how I do it but you knew better. You were argumentative and instead of reading what was said before we had to literally hold your hand showing you what you did wrong or what you should do if you want to see any results.
Then you stumbled somehow on wet ashing and here we go full circle again. It is like déjà vu again you, against everyone else because you know better and somehow survived your experiment without any harm.
I applaud your decision to "I shut up then" that is probably the best thing you can do. Spend more time reading instead of trying to fight with everyone here.

no problems Geo.... it is all ok

we had to literally hold your hand showing you what you did wrong or what you should do if you want to see any results.
and what was I did so much wrong and what was advised???????
To buy your Ebook?????

I'm really fed up with all that
It looks like even if I say (or ask) about folding a filter even then somebody will be furious and angry.... because it was discussed earlier or for whatever different reason
I'm logging off for good

pan your gold well

some888 said:
no problems Geo.... it is all ok

we had to literally hold your hand showing you what you did wrong or what you should do if you want to see any results.
and what was I did so much wrong and what was advised???????
To buy your Ebook?????

I'm really fed up with all that
It looks like even if I say (or ask) about folding a filter even then somebody will be furious and angry.... because it was discussed earlier or for whatever different reason
I'm logging off for good

pan your gold well

I never told you to buy my eBook. I told you to download it for free from this thread. If you at least pretended that you went through few pages of this thread you would knew that it is here, and it is free for everyone to download it.
I am glad you managed to find some gold in IC as only few days ago you were trying to convince everyone that there is no gold in them or that there is so little it is not worth hassle.
Yeah, you will find that most of questions which are troubling you at this moment were discussed here and many times over. Take your time and do some reading.

this time it's a last post for real

there nothing to read

even with my naive questions about chips it was like a surprise for everybody that there is a copper bonding wires..... and I felt myself really stupid trying to prove it.

Write here yourself and enjoy reading it yourself as well

regards

Sometimes I envy those, who are starting refining at zero, those who have no idea about chemistry and no experience. Those who only read for years, then make their first gold button and it gets to be an almost perfect one. Those have great respect of chemicals. They do not know much, but what they know, they know for real. Our greatest threat is, when we feel seasoned and smart. But only slightly altered conditions, an unexpected reaction and we, refiner veterans, engineers, teachers, chemical industry workers, hydrometallurgists, prospectors, skilled hobbyists and even the chemists, are all beginners.

some888 wrote:
can you please quote me where did I say it is safe?

for example there:
just do not heat sulfuric acid to 300c ( not an easy anyway) only then you have a serious chances of getting SO3 even then that is provided sulfulic acid is left after desintegrating organic

You didn't get the point. So I will try to explain it. I don't want to offend you, in fact I can see you are pretty intelligent.

just do not heat sulfuric acid to 300c ( not an easy anyway)

WRONG! It takes me 4 minutes to make a steak, within that 4 minutes the oil reaches a temperature of 230°C and I have to add a lot of energy. Sulfuric with organics developes its own energy.

In the link above, they pointed out, that this process easily can develope its own dynamic. The heat will rise by its own exotherm reaction. Knowing, acids get more reactive the more they get heated, it must me possible, that the reaction escalates in a loop. Controlling the temperature sounds easier, than it may be done. You will necessarily stay near the vessel. Cooling implicates high danger of cracking the vessel. After an amount of organics is added, you can't take it out again, like some control rods.

It is interesting, yes. Doing it at home or even in a normal lab, which is not specialized on that process, is a mistake. And especially people, who come into this forum, only reading a few lines, should not get the impression, that this is a way to go.

I promised not to write
but I left browser window open and while trying to close I saw reply - that really freaks me out

I did a mistake I should really understand that I'm talking mainly to scrapyard audience not a chemists.

!!!!!Please DO NOT EVER BOIL SULFURIC ACID!!!!!
the way I did is a bit different from above example while frying steak..... If you do that is murderer indeed!!!!!

More then it please stop playing with chemicals at all even "safest" Hydrochloric acid can do a lot of damage and possibly kill yourself and your family

OUT

Mistakes happen. I don't want to pretend that I never have done things, I first later learned, they were stupid and that I only have been very, very lucky. And if you would get off your high horse, called "
there nothing to read
", you could discover, that some of us have not been lucky always. Don't feel bad and don't take it that offending, - it is not meant offending. The best and mostly trained chemical worker can get harmed at work in a moment of thoughtlessness. And they do. Every big plant can tell about a lot of terrible accidents happened to professionals under "safe" conditions.

I only wished you would understand, WHY this mistake happened to you. You haven't searched the forum or you haven't read whole of the thread about wet ashing.

some888,

I am going to give you a chance to cool off, I suggest you spend that time studying the safety thread, and think before you post again, you have an opportunity to learn a valuable skill here that could help you in the future, I would not give that up over an attitude, especially when someone trying to help keep you from hurting yourself or others.

If I see one more post that gives me the impression you do not wish to be here, and take the advice given, or an attitude which will disrupt others who are trying to learn, it will be your last post as far as I am concerned.

The choice is yours.

I have prepared my next 1,2 kg batch. Definately no solder, no iron/magnetics, if aluminium present, then only bondwires, which I don't believe (almost only from ram and n/s-bridges). Fine powder.

Now, I thought in the meantime of my process, while reading repeatedly the common steps and versions.

I did not find Ag or Pd in any of the solutions or sediments the last time and as said the powder is very well prepared, so I would like to skip HNO3 and only dissolve Cu and traces of other basemetals with HCl. Correct so far? If correct, I wondered, if I can use old, but active AP instead of HCl?

Traces of Pd, if present, will be dissolved later together with Au in AR (the Au will be re-refined one or two times).
Traces of Ag, if present, will stay in the sediments and will be recovered later (NaOH/incineration/HNO3).

Does that look right or did I miss anything?

Hi all,

I want to thank Pat for the CD Rom he sent me. After my problem with poison ivy I got the money to send him after his long wait for it. I paid $10.00 for both PDF files I wanted it with all the pictures. I have already printed both files on photo paper because I wanted a good copy and put them clear plastic folder that made a nice book. I know cost more to do it but I already had both item from 3 years ago. One day I will put those 2 books to good use. I wanted to get them cause one I might be able too

Pat sorry for the long wait. And if I own any buddy for something they sent me please tell me so I can remember who.

Thanks
Jack

Latest baby, born 12th of august, 2,3g. :mrgreen:
Parents - saved old filters used to filter solutions accumulated in last 12 months :lol:

Attachments

• DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    133.3 KB
some888 said:
patnor1011 said:
To discuss if something is worth or not to d is very subjective. What you consider as not worthy may be gold mine for another person.
You regard processing IC as waste of time so be it. It is your subjective feeling and your experience. No need to trying to convince others about your view, you presented it and I can accept this. I do not agree and for me it is worth doing it and I am not going to convince you I am right.
We exchanged our views and that is it. No point on tit for tat type of talking or forcing our way of thinking on each other.

Yes, Rusty do have couple of threads where he use centrifuge on separating concentrates from incinerated or milled IC chips.

indeed I found that thread

but that particular centrifuge just freaks me out :lol: :lol: looks really scary device even if it the best centrifuge in the world for gold recovery.

I will try to have a look if car oil filter centrifuges (or juicer) can be adapted for that that purpose

Yes I made the investment and made the time available to make that simple centrifuge, a six inch bowel turned from a solid piece of polyethylene will not disintegrate at 2500 rpm even when loaded with half an inch of values.

I've also had some success using liquid dish soap with a mixer attached to my drill to create foam to which values will adhere to. From a 1 liter bottle of soap add half to a 20 liter pail 2/3rds full of water, agitate to a froth scrap off the top layer of foam repeat the process adding more liquid soap as needed. You'll know when the values have been depleted from the milled or incinerated material when the soap is not collecting anymore values which show up as black crime.

To eliminate the foam pass a flame over it, I pass it through the centrifuge to collapse the foam bubbles.

Stay tuned for this winters project, the wet belt. Precious metals have a tenacity for water, the smooth belt is wetted with the precious metals clinging to the belt to be removed at the upper level as the belt continues on its upwards travel. Unwanted crud is washed downwards with water sprayed onto the belt hence the name - wet belt.

I said in the very beginning when I first joined the forum treat e-waste as you would ore mined from the earth. We shouldn't still be stumbling over how to make concentrates, patnor got it right with his gold pan.

patnor1011 said:
I had some time and was interested to find how to get that gold out. There was few processes mentioned here already so I just combine few of them and here is what I did.

We all know that there is gold inside. :) I do not have ball mill build yet so I decided to try another way. Incineration, or poor man`s pyrolysis. I used bucket of coal and made it red glowing hot. I then placed iron vessel in the middle where I dug small hole. Chips in vessel did not even burn with flame, they just turned yellow/red from temperature and when I took them out they were whitish/grey and practically powdered. There was no visible smoke and hardly any smell.
I did not took any pictures up until this moment maybe I will do it later and upload here.

Incinerated chips were powder like so I put them in my pan. Some of powder floated on surface so I used drop/two of washing up liquid. Then came hard - long part of panning all that material. When I panned all or say 99% of non metallic material I have used magnet from hdd to pick up all iron/nickel pins. Then I panned out most of copper pins. All panned pins went to my stock pot - lets say I throw them to my spent AP solution I will wait till all dissolve. What was left was small amount of fine gold wires and dust. All this was put to nitric to get rid of any small metallic pieces. Last two pictures show end product at this stage which is like 90% gold and 10% of some small pieces of ceramics.
hi,
please tell me which chemical is use for washing up liquid.thnx

Back