Gold inside chips (black, flatpacks - not CPU)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What country are you from? I can point you to brand you use there.
Or ask your wife she will know better.

It is liquid used when you wash greasy plates and bowls like this one.
http://www.google.ie/search?q=washing+up+liquid,+dishwashing+liquid,+detergent&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ssUPUszHHKiw7Qb8j4HwBg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=643#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=297ced0577cf305c&q=fairy+washing+up+liquid&sa=1&tbm=isch

It reduce surface tension on water so powder will sink.

Not to sidetrack this thread but I just got hands on nice sample of sim cards so I may help to supply forum with additional data about yield from those. I do have some reels too but for now I do have 10.000 pieces in AP.
Yeah I noticed small chip and bonding wires on back side of plated area. That will be incinerated, crushed and leached to combine with foils.

Thread where I describe what I did with them:
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=19050

Attachments

• DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    207.4 KB
The my first experiment with the chipsets.

Source material - 250 gram chipsets without tin.
Chipsets (S/N bridges) were immersed for 12 hours in a 3% nitric acid for remove the tin.
Then 250 grams of chipsets were burned.
Ash was treated with 65% nitric acid to remove the base metals.
Gold was dissolved SSN, and precipitated by SMB.
Equipment for melting I'm not have today. A about the final results I will report later.

Thank you!

02.09.2013 Updated: it's not all! Milled chips are sent for re-processing of SSN
22.09.2013 Updated: The end result was 0.71 grams. It is little, but it is very good for the first attempt.

Attachments

• 250g.jpg
    250g.jpg
    65.4 KB
Just finished processing 1960g of mixed s/n (computer variety) yield was 10.2 g
Now, why I said computer variety? I just got my hands on kilogram of s/n harvested from TV, they are 2 types and are heavier than what you usually get from mobo or video card. Yield will be smaller, I will do that sample to confirm or compare yield with another member who already processed them. Stay tuned. :mrgreen:

hi

offtopic, but, I made the 24000 th view :shock:
must be one of the most viewed topics here?
I wonder how much gold it produced so far :p

Pat

I just spoke with Sucho, he confirmed what I suspected that it is essential to remove as much of burned carbon as possible prior leaching. That burned crap somehow absorb a lot of dissolved gold.
Hope he will chime in soon with more details, I cant explain it in my backyard terms.

Pat, your yield seems fine to me, assuming the N/S bridge were complete (fiber + molded resin).

As to Carbon, loose carbon powder has a lot of surface area. By nature, Carbon adsorb metal ions onto its surface, thus locking values in our case.
Several washes with plenty of hot water or dilute HCl and hard stirring will release most of the locked values. Or you can dry, incinirate and leach again.

Incinirated materials (i.e. no carbon, just oxides + ceramics) will absorb any solution, but is quick to release it due to larger particle size (and lower surface area) and morphology. This is also some of the reasons why it is almot always easier to filter ashes

I can remove most of burned carbon from s/n as there is no metal inside so no problem to get rid of nearly all of that. Problem is when concentrating values from IC chips due to large amount of metal pins inside. If you crush too hard, gold will smear on pins, also bonding wires disintegrate to very small particles - which is not happening sith wires from s/n.

I just processed 914 grams mixed IC from boards, yield was 1 gram. After second refining.

Anyone processed this type of older RAM IC? Can you share yields?
I got surprisingly low yield only 0.6g from 2.5 kilograms and that look low to me but no matter what I do, cant squeeze more from them.

Attachments

• flatpacks RAM type 2 - photo 2.JPG
    flatpacks RAM type 2 - photo 2.JPG
    243.7 KB
Sorry, I haven't refined any chips of this kind yet so I have no hard facts to add but I'm not surprised by the low yield. There are only 20 bond wires per chip and a lot of metals and plastics. I have always suspected that old ram sim modules with tin plate actually have a low yield. You only confirms my suspicion.

Göran

My logic tells me this.
I got about gram from thin IC from newer type of ram.
Thin IC from RAM is about half of weight of this particular type. So to get gram you need 2 kilograms of them - weight/number wise. Then there is another thing, new IC do have about 56 pins - which lead to bonding wires and thick do have less than half of it 24. That makes me think that in order to get similar results you again need to double that amount.
Am I right? Can someone discuss this with me preferably with his own observations or yields?
Summary - I got:
0.5g from 590g thin IC - new type of ram
0.6g from 2520g thick IC older type of ram

Hey Patnor,

I think your logic is right on track. Makes a lot of sense to me. I wish we had access to a yield report where it would show the expected yields from all the different types of IC chips we see in electronic scrap. That way we would know which ones to concentrate on and which ones to pass on. I would be willing to send to any person (chips refiner) a quantity of any particular style of IC chip for yield test purposes, so long as I am given time to collect them and it is agreed that the person receiving them would post the yield results when known. Maybe you could spearhead a project like this Pat. If there is any way I can help let me know. Please understand- I love your work with the BGA chips yield report!

Best regards,

Dennis

im expecting a 5 gallon bucket of ram chips next week. ill try to get some yield data from the ones in question.

Pat, those in the picture are EDO type memory chips, the flatter thinner ones from newer RAM are (I call) SD type memory chips. I put some pic's up in my "Show Your Work Area" post of some of the chips I've been saving and will be processing them soon. Finally got my counter top for the lab in, got that mounted and set the fume hood in place, now just have to finish with the electrical, duct work and plumbing. I was hoping to be refining again by now but it's hard to get things done and done right sometimes when other people are involved.

Off topic, I was at a place today looking at some computer stuff the owner, who is 71, wants taken away and in this room, sits a IBM 5360 in pristine condition with printer and about 3 monitors. The computer is supposed to be over 500 lbs. He said he paid over 60k for it when it was new back in 1983 or 84, I said to him after hearing that, "Now there's a lesson in depreciation" we had a good laugh on that one. He's a little attached to it but I'm going to see if I can pry him from it.

Smack said:
Off topic, I was at a place today looking at some computer stuff the owner, who is 71, wants taken away and in this room, sits a IBM 5360 in pristine condition with printer and about 3 monitors. The computer is supposed to be over 500 lbs. He said he paid over 60k for it when it was new back in 1983 or 84, I said to him after hearing that, "Now there's a lesson in depreciation" we had a good laugh on that one. He's a little attached to it but I'm going to see if I can pry him from it.
Ooooohhhhh, if I was any nearer to you I would buy that machine from you at the spot. That is a collectors item today.
Back in 1984 I did my first paid job on a System 36 (IBM 5360). I haven't forgotten the metallic "clonk" when you gave the shut down command and the contactor disconnected the power in the other room.

IBM-System36.jpg

If you don't find a new owner and decides to scrap it, don't tell me, I don't want to know. :cry:

Göran

Back