Gold inside chips (black, flatpacks - not CPU)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
patnor1011 said:
Depending on type of chip it can be a lot of copper and I would go for nitric leach first. That do have some other advantages, some chips contain Ag/Pd brazing, Ag will be dissolved in this leach along with copper.

Has anybody ever found some details, in what kind of chips Pd brazing can be found or where definitely not?

solar_plasma said:
patnor1011 said:
Depending on type of chip it can be a lot of copper and I would go for nitric leach first. That do have some other advantages, some chips contain Ag/Pd brazing, Ag will be dissolved in this leach along with copper.

Has anybody ever found some details, in what kind of chips Pd brazing can be found or where definitely not?

Sadly it is mostly on package only. Somewhere here is a picture of IC called Rabbit which I got one bag of them and they did have AgPd brazing according to sticker from top of bag.

It was more than 3 kg of black chips. No bridges, no memory. And there is no very poor analogs 74 series and EEPROM. Most part - controllers with motherboards 1997-2004.
Result - 1.82 g
Because the technology is significantly different, the process I publish in a separate topic.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=21666

Attachments

• 100_3275.JPG
    100_3275.JPG
    147.9 KB
patnor1011 said:
I harvested it by scrapping and with heat gun too. I scraped or heated chips only. I mean all what was analyzed was taken out of chip not from boards.
That sample was few grams out of few kilogram pile I managed to save during few years. I was wondering about what to do with it as I accumulated quite a lot. Plan was to make some fish lures for mackerel as tin is shiny, silvery but now I would be more inclined to find out if there is some inexpensive way to get that silver and gold out of it.
Kevin, it was exactly that - solder balls from s/n bridges, the same as I processed in my second ebook.
Hi Pat! Did you ever try to process the solder or do you have a process in mind? Thanks, John.

I did not John. Point is acid is very expensive here and 2g out of kilo solder would not pay for itself. I used some of it to make some shiny lures and got more money selling these than I would by recovering gold out of it.

patnor1011 said:
I did not John. Point is acid is very expensive here and 2g out of kilo solder would not pay for itself. I used some of it to make some shiny lures and got more money selling these than I would by recovering gold out of it.

Cool! You have any pics of the lures?

patnor1011 said:
I suppose you are talking about 2gr of silver, any gold traces in it?

greeting for PATNOR. I have a question: have you dealt with these chips and whether it has value to them? Thank you.

Attachments

• DSCF0989.JPG
    DSCF0989.JPG
    273.7 KB
There it shouldn't be a bonding wire each pin connecting to the silicon die? You always keep saying those are worthless thus they must be ...

In that case I would try to give 'em away for free in ebay and add a couple of dollars on freight? That's what I was thinking to do when I'll have all pins removed from mines. If it doesn't work they will go straight to the nearby WEEE centre.

MarcoP said:
There it shouldn't be a bonding wire each pin connecting to the silicon die? You always keep saying those are worthless thus they must be ...

In that case I would try to give 'em away for free in ebay and add a couple of dollars on freight? That's what I was thinking to do when I'll have all pins removed from mines. If it doesn't work they will go straight to the nearby WEEE centre.

The ones in the picture do not have pin's they are BGA's

MarcoP said:

flip chip BGAs are made without any golden bonding wires

MarcoP said:
patnor1011 said:
I suppose you are talking about 2gr of silver, any gold traces in it?

Few pages back in this thread there is picture of analysis of sample of that solder. There is 0.22% gold and 2% silver if I remember correctly. So we talk about 2g of gold and 20g of silver in a kilo of solder from under BGA IC. Solder I scraped off the back of them.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=11827&start=520#p211524

maynman1751 said:
patnor1011 said:

Cool! You have any pics of the lures?

I do not have much in this computer, most of them are on laptop, mostly finished ones with holographic eyes attached on them. I use mostly red, sometimes golden but red ones are the best. Here are some pictures of work in progress, three types which sell the most.
Lure3 with red eyes proved really deadly using from pier or rocks for all kind of fish. They are small 3 and 5 grams.

Attachments

• lure3.JPG
    lure3.JPG
    23.8 KB
  • lure2.JPG
    lure2.JPG
    24.2 KB
  • lure1.JPG
    lure1.JPG
    25.3 KB
That is one way how to use solder and lead recovered from electronics, I was intrigued and plan to get to stage when I will be able to produce this: - see picture (copper plated lead jig head).
That would be cool thing to do to use copper cell to add more value to lead and tin.

Attachments

• jig.JPG
    jig.JPG
    14.9 KB
MarcoP said:

I throw them in with other low yield circuit boards I sell as scrap.

For the flip chip BGA:s the die is attached to the fiber board with small solder bumps and the fiber board uses solder balls to connect to the main board. The fiber board usually have ENIG as surface treatment and that is where the small amounts of gold comes from. It is dissolved by the tin when soldered.

The BGA chips that have gold bonding wires (pins are not a necessity) is the ones with the die covered in plastic. The black resin is there to protect the bond wires.

Nice lures, Patnor!

Göran

Latest posts

Back