Gold not dropping - why is it my sulfamic?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And never use tap water. City water can have chlorine and other additives such as fluorides, well water will have whatever has leached from the surrounding geology, which could be any element(s). Distilled is the way to go.

Well that means that the Gold is converted to metal.
It is just not enough to see it yet.
Let it sit over the night.
That is the weird part. I get that grey sludge but ive waited a whole day. Negative reaction. And no gold dropped despite the stanneous tests throught out the process.

I am not using poor mans nitric. The ratio i used was making poor mans AR.

Its very hard for me to get Nitric Acid so after a nitric acid wash, i try to use sodium nitrate and HCl to make poormans AR for the gold recovery bit.
I have to be honest in that I'm not seeing the logic in this. Steps 7 and 8 are inefficient if you are going to use AR anyway. I'd save yourself a lot of time and effort and cut them out and use Nitric for the AR or not use it at all.

Pretty well answered by the others, but I use some HCl mixed with the SMB and used immediately to drop the gold. Just a habit I developed a long time ago and seemed to work well. It isn't always needed but for poor man's AR and high copper content that has been heavily heated, or heated for extended periods it just seemed to work for me.

And never use tap water. City water can have chlorine and other additives such as fluorides, well water will have whatever has leached from the surrounding geology, which could be any element(s). Distilled is the way to go.
I have read that using " city water" may create a weak AR when used with Hcl. Due to the chlorine in city water/ tap water. Depending on what step I'm on during my process, I may use city water. But also I keep a bottle of distilled water too.

I have read that using " city water" may create a weak AR when used with Hcl. Due to the chlorine in city water/ tap water. Depending on what step I'm on during my process, I may use city water. But also I keep a bottle of distilled water too.
If you introduce Chlorinated water into Nitric you may create a weak form of AR.
But worst is it if you are working with Silver since it will create Silver Chloride.

City water that has chlorine in it will do no harm if mixed with HCl, which already has chlorine in its make-up. However, if you mix chlorinated water with nitric acid, you can create a weak AR.

Dave

Hey guys I think this is a problem of resolution. How much gold was your expected? How much gold do you think is in 100 grams of random ics? Your gold probably did drop out of solution. Depending on what you started with 50-100mg might be all that you got.

Hey guys I think this is a problem of resolution. How much gold was your expected? How much gold do you think is in 100 grams of random ics? Your gold probably did drop out of solution. Depending on what you started with 50-100mg might be all that you got.
This is exactly the amount i was looking for. I was expecting .3g at least as i did this exact size before and dropped .34g. Thanks for everyones recommendation on city water (im a city boy haha) i got 2 distilled containers now and will be using it on Nitric only/ AR

Yes..I was wondering the same thing.
So i did 2x hcl washes

Washed with water x9

Then i did 2 nitric washes (50ml each time)

Washed with water x9

Then created poor mans Aqua regia (HCl & Sodium Nitrate). The ratio to make poor mans AR is

28g sodium nitrate
125ml HCl (30%)
68 ml H2O

There is still Gold, but switching back and forth between HCl and Nitric is almost guaranteed to create losses.
Unless you roast the material in between.
Wash it well in HCl pour the used HCl into a container and add fresh HCl, then drip in Nitric untill all foils are dissolved.

Or even better, use Peroxide or pool Chlorine in sread if Nitric.
No risk of excess Nitric then.
Quick question: So i understand i need to heat HCL and Sodium Nitrate to make poor mans AR (70-80 degrees).

Do I need to heat if i am dripping nitric acid into HCl to form AR (the true AR method)?

Quick question: So i understand i need to heat HCL and Sodium Nitrate to make poor mans AR (70-80 degrees).

Do I need to heat if i am dripping nitric acid into HCl to form AR (the true AR method)?
I have not used poor mans AR.
But the AR works best if is hot, not boiling.
It still works cold though.

Edit for precision.

For 0.3 grams of expected gold, your poor man's AR recipe would be able to put 30 grams of gold into solution. That's 100 times the stoichiometric calculation. Just my observation...did you use that much?

There is no ideal so to speak, but it has to be acidic so the SMB produce SO2 which is the active ingredient.
So Usually lower than 4 but even better in the 2-1 range.
Alright so this is my second time with expectation of very VERY low gold drop.

I did the following

1. 2x HCL baths waited 1 day each
2. Poor man Aqua Regia
3. Waited for rxn to stop
4. Add sulfamic until no reaction (just 2 pinches)
5. Tested and received positive reaction
6. I have a very dirty gold drop so i mixed a bit of HCl with SMB and poured into AR solution.
7. PH is now showing 1
8. Waiting a whole night to see what i can recover

Notes: Kept my side solution as i have gold per pictures

secondly my AR solution went from emerald Green now it is just looking brownish black. Any feedback this time around?

Additionally im getting a reaction when i drop SMB and some SO2 is coming up.

Attachments

• 20240913_181847.jpg
    20240913_181847.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240913_181815.jpg
    20240913_181815.jpg
    1,015.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back