Gold plated china and glass

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was material like that, manufactured by different "Bavaria"- manufactures from the 50-60th. There is no effort in it, easy done. I did't want to break it, since my daughter can use it for porcelain painting.

After this experience I would tend to call it low-grade. Maybe smaller gold applications are thicker. I don't know.

I had calculated with 1-10 g. So, I was right with that. :lol: Though I was pretty sure I would get 3 g. :roll: It is definately not worth buying on ebay, even when you shoot it for the lowest possible prices (I did).

Attachments

• china.jpg
    china.jpg
    12.2 KB
ok... Those are the best of the best as far as yield goes...Obviously fully covered but tend to be hard to find in general. So your results would be the best you can get as far as volume start to finish.

So all gold trimmed glass would be below low yield. Not worth the effort unless free and you don't mind the labor...and washing dishes...

There are alot of speciality whiskey bottles and the like that can have alot covered.

Thanks for exploring the potential as you do.

B.S.

Nope, compared to the yields I read in this thread, they are absolutely LOW-grade. They just look as if there were much gold.

My theory is that the manufacturers have optimized their processes on that type of china in order to use the absolutely minimum of gold. If there are only spots of gold they will use more common porcelain paint, which is quite thick. The cheapest colour I could find contained 12% gold and costs about 100€/10ml if I remember right. I would guess you can paint 300 cm2 with 10 ml, which would be 1,2g/300cm2.

I had 1g/4100cm2.

So the machine applied trim for bulk productions would be even less. The Christmas glass mass produced are most common here in the states at local auctions I goto but sometimes I find better hand painted pieces. These are removed faster then when actually washing them. I didn't expect much out of any glass trimmed but some hand painted might give alittle more as it's not a measured amount applied uniformly.

To make things even more interestingly a waste of effort is a show I saw, How it's made, I think that demonstrated how someone came up with a mix that when fired and rubbed, looks identicle to gold trimmed but contained non.

B.S.

Latest posts

Back