Just Finished my FIRST ever GOLD BAR 1.025 Troy Ounce

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glass cannot take uneven heat! The coil type of hot plate produces different amounts of heat to the beaker bottom, the glass can't take it. The casserole is a good idea. I notice there is also a tray under the stove for spill containment, another good idea.

4metals:
I am using a air conditioning vacuum pump ($79.95 Harbor Freight).

I bought an old air compressor for $35 and removed the compressor.
I then installed the vacuum pump to draw on the tank.

the flask is connected to the tank, and the compressor draws from the tank.

The air tank acts as a vacuum reservior so the pump is not drawing directly on the flask. i can evacuate the air tank, then use that vacuum to draw on the filter flask.

Attachments

• filter450.jpg
    filter450.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Filter449.jpg
    Filter449.jpg
    713 KB · Views: 184
kadriver,
Please post how you clean the precipitated gold when you are finished. I sure hope your new button comes out near and ounce.
Matt

matt:

Tomorrow I plan to do this:

Pour off the liquid and wash with hot water.

Boil the powder in Ammonium Hydroxide to get any silver chloride out.
Boil in Hydrochloric acid to finally remove any base metals that got thru.

Then filter washing with about 1000ml boiling water thru the filter over the gold powder.

then put in a dish and dry over low heat.

then melt it and pour it.

kadriver

kadriver said:
What was left in the filter paper

Was there much in the filter paper?. I can't tell from the photo.

You were lucky that the beaker didn't "crack". Only obvious tip is to heat the acids (nitric for inquart treatment, HCl for AR) before adding to the metal. It seems faster that way, and there is less need for continuous strong external heating. Irons has suggested the use of a microwave oven for quickly heating acids. :shock:

Very nice pictures of "the craft". 8)

In the picture below you have a beaker in the center, gray is fiberglass (or other) insulating wool, and the outer is a PVC or fiberglass/resin container. If the glass cracks it is not a disaster, and it keeps the solution warm like a thermos. :shock:

Attachments

• PoorMansPfaudler.jpg
    PoorMansPfaudler.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 164
4metals:

This is an interesting method. i will give it a try.

I normally use a heavy pyrex coffee pot to boil acid.

I used a beaker this time because the amount was small.

I think from now on I will just break out the coffee pot to boil in.

Thank for your input.

kadriver

Another tip: "Letting it settle overnight" at that point, only helps the ever present silver chloride to drop on top of your precipitated gold overnight. If you are going to leave anything "settling overnight" it should be before precipitating the gold to get rid of the AgCl. Some people have suggested inside the freezer or in a very cool place to help the dissolved AgCl drop. :shock: 8)

Can you please post a close-up shot of the filter paper with the AgCl and/or lead sulphate?. It's not clear in the photo you posted. :?:

i will post a better picture of the filter paper. There was not much on it.

Letting the dropped gold container settle overnight seems like a mistake according to what you have posted.

Should I stirr the solution up and then pour it off after just then gold settles?

Also, I plan to boil the gold powder in ammonium hydroxide and then boil in hydrochloric acid - washing in between.

i am not going to filter this batch, just pour off and wash with hot water between treatments.

Once that is complete, I will wash thoroughly and dry the powder.

kadriver

At this point I guess I would stir it as you suggest to try to get the fine AgCl in suspension, but it might be already in little lumps on top of the gold. It wouldn't hurt to stir before decanting and washing, I guess.

Another tip: If you are going to do this often, you need some type of "acid trap" in your vacuum line, otherwise the tank and vaccuum pump will not last very long. 8)

Do you think that boiling the settled powder in ammonium hydroxide would get rid of the silver chloride?

As for the vacuum set-up, after a few uses, I mix up a batch of baking soda and suck about 250 ml through the whole system. Then I drain it off from the bottom of the tank which has a drain valve for this purpose.

I thought about putting an inline filter or trap of some sort down low to collect any acid and other liquids that get through.

On the other hand the components were relatively inexpensive and easily replaced if needed.

I keep my eyes peeled for old air compressors for sale. i will get a spare and have it available in the case that my metal vacuum tank fails due to acid.

thank you
kadriver

I think you are doing just fine with your plan and planned washes, etc. Just adding common sense tips here and there that may be useful to you. 8)

kadriver said:
i am not going to filter this batch, just pour off and wash with hot water between treatments.

I'd save the liquids and let them settle at least for a few days and cement with a copper bar. Just to make sure I don't throw any values out. 8)

Also don't mix the ammonia wash with the acids!.

I am really pleased with the second refining.

The bar is much smoother and has no roughness to its surface.

i can see my reflection in the metal.

I think this one is closer to fine gold - 999

Thanks for the guidance from this forum.

kadriver

Attachments

• P1160236.jpg
    P1160236.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 96
  • P1160250.jpg
    P1160250.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 96
That is a very nice looking gold bar. I am glad you didn't lose too much of your gold. Thanks again for sharing all the pictures and your experience.
Matt

kadriver,

I want to congratulate you on your progress. You've come a long way in a short period of time. I don't think you've been on here for a month. My hat's off to you.

Chris

I second Chris' sentiments, you are doing great. The color of the bar looks great!

Steve

Latest posts

Back