Making a gas furnace...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't help it!!! :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Incinerator 015.JPG
    Incinerator 015.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 262
  • Incinerator 014.JPG
    Incinerator 014.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 262
  • Incinerator 013.JPG
    Incinerator 013.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 262
Butcher, I switched to the torch you gave me, and it works like a champ! Thanks! 8)

I incinerated 1 pound - 9 0z. of BGA's black epoxy 3 days ago. The following day, I melted 20 T oz. of sterling. It took about 20 minutes to melt at low setting.

Today I melted 1 pound of mixed '70's & '80's pins at a medium setting! I'm planning on running the bar I poured thru a copper cell...
Next will be to melt the copper recovered from the waste batches.

This furnace is a prototype, I'll set a nice level concrete base and put a much better one on it.

Thank you GRF! 8)

Phil

Attachments

• e-scrap 017.JPG
    e-scrap 017.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 245
  • e-scrap 007.JPG
    e-scrap 007.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 245
  • e-scrap 003.JPG
    e-scrap 003.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 245
  • Incinerator 005.JPG
    Incinerator 005.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 245
  • Incinerator 003.JPG
    Incinerator 003.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 245
phildreamer,

What kind of torch did you start out with,

and what kind of torch did Butcher send you?

I had bought a blacksmith forge torch, and it must have been a good one, because I loaned it
to a friend of mine 10 months ago, and haven't seen it since, which just killed the incineration
experiments I wanted to run.

So, I've got to come up with another torch, and it looks like whatever torch you're running
really gets the job done; thus my interest.

Cheers,

Mike

I started out with a Mapp torch for pre-heating and a small oxy-acet torch for finishing the melt in my old little "furnace" made of woodstove bricks.

When I put together the Kaowool bricks furnace, I used the torch I got from Butcher.
I did a melt 2 days ago and I ckecked the temp; it was 2,000F! This is using only propane. I'm happy with it! 8)

Phil

Attachments

• Incinerator 006.JPG
    Incinerator 006.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 201
  • e-scrap 025.JPG
    e-scrap 025.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 201
Back yard metal casting and forging is a good site to learn how to make some types of small furnace burners, or and learn how to make some types of furnaces.

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/

Normally for gold or silver a good torch and a melting dish is a about all you need, with some of the better small torches you may need to help contain the heat from the torch with Kwool or soft fire brick refractory.

The gold refining forum is a great resource of information on types of torch and dish which will work to melt gold, the different types of fire brick or refractory material which can be used, and different setups of furnaces, and what can work and what does not work.

I really like seeing that picture of Philddreamers glowing red furnace. Like the younger generation might say it looks so hot it is cool.

Latest posts

Back