Merged Topics on Ceramic CPU Recovery with Yields

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, Thanks Jim. Im still left wondering what would be my expected yeilds just so that I know if im doing ok. I also have read a few times to remove the gold lids, but have not read why and im guessing that I would process seperate. Is this due to the amount of base metal or simply to allow the acid to reach the inside of the cpu?

I think the yield will be more like 0.33 grams per Pentium Pro, if you search their yield on the forum you will find more info. You want to process metal lids separate. I think the Pentium Pro lids are more like a ceramic and break easily, I have not processed too many of them. Hopefully others that have more experience may add some better advice for them.

Jim

Hey rotorpowa Hows it going,

I recently processed 6 pentium pro's as part of a test batch of various types of ceramic cpu's, to see what I could yield for buying purposes. Jim is pretty close to spot on at 0.33g per PP, I recovered 1.8g after a second refine with my 6 PP. I know those numbers can be increased a bit as I did not completely dissolve all the gold under the silicon chip, I think 0.33g each is a good starting base to go with.

I hope this helps,
Chris

Edit: there is a thread on PP yields I referenced before I processed mine But I can't seem to find now.

Found it http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=62#p1459

Hi Rotor!

Did you just brake the PP's or did you crush them down a bit? From your results, I would say you just broke them. Samuel & I have been sharing some information on some tests we've done.
Check this post:
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=12717#p126914

By the way, I processed 2 PP's & had a yield of .5g a piece, but I crushed them to about 1/4".

Phil

Thank you Samuel!
Like Sam said, we've been exchanging some information on our findings on ceramic cpu's, mainly the P-Pro's, but i believe that it applies to some of the older ceramic cpu's, too.

"Hi Sam!

I want to share my recent experience with Pentium Pro's. I bought 12 of them & tried 2 different batches of 6.
The first 6, I just broke into a few pieces & proceeded with AR. Decanted & precipitated & had a yield of 1.8g.

The second batch & broke into more smaller pieces, then proceded with AR like the first batch; decanted.
I added more HCl to the ceramics, brought to a lite boil for a few minutes; decanted & added to solution to the solution that I had set aside. I then proceded to precipitate & recovered 2.4g. That's an extra .6 of a gram.
When I broke these P-P's, I noticed with my loupe some gold strands connecting the different layers of ceramics, so maybe, by crushing more, the acid can reach them.

So, I think I'll be crushing a bit more the 10 or 15 # of ceramics that I've collected from previous batches & have the yellow color to them, maybe I'll be able to recover more gold off of them.

My very first test with 2 P-Pro's last year, the yield was 1 gram, I crushed them, though; so when I had less than that yield on following batches that I didn't crush, the yield was much lower.

Shalom, Brother!
Phil"

"Hi Phil

This is interesting.
I can't say that i saw any wires within the ceramic of a PP, maybe i have missed it.

I'm saving all of my processed ceramics to be leached again anyway just in case (such as this), i'll take your advice and brake them further and see if i can poll extra juice out."

"Hi Samuel!

I had to try breaking the ceramics down a bit more because I remember last year, when I came across my first PP's, I took 2 & crushed them down pretty good. The yield was 1 gram right on. Since at that time I had another 60, & after reading Lazersteve's post on processing ceramics & that he didn't brake them, I just broke them up a bit, (like you did in the video), but the yield was much lower.
This time, having 12 PP's, I opted with the 2 test of 6 each, having the result mentioned before.
I'm going to crush the ceramics, (I've saved them all), & I'll try another leach.
I also noticed that there is a golden film on the spots were the pins were at, as well as the big plated ceramic. I thought, maybe some of the gold is cementing there? That's why I ran the ceramics thru some HCl a second time. Next time, I'll add a few drops of nitric, too.

I know you're more scientific & knowledgeable than me in these areas, so I'm
sharing my Q's & findings, so we can figure out WHY a higher yield with the first 2 PP's but less with the others. (Especially when wiki reports that the yield of a PP is 1.1g! )
Again, I think it could be the fact of having to crush the ceramics more, & running thru a second or even 3rd time, (if stannous test is still positive).

Thank you & take care!
Phil"

"Hi Phil

It is indeed odd, though i always keep in mind that not all cpu's created evenly, even if they are the same type.

In the next few days, i'll grab a lb or two of processed lightly broken cpu's (assortment), smash 'em & leach again with hot dilute AR and test, i would imagine i will get some sort of positive test, though probably faint.
Time will tell...

Have you kept some yields avarage per unit for you PP's ?"

"Hi Sam!

The 2 that I crushed some months ago, they yield 1g, thus .5g each.
The 60 or so that I did a few weeks later, (I didn't crush them), the yield was about .3g.

Of the 12 I did a few days ago, the first 6 that I only broke in a few pieces, the total yield was 1.8g, thus (.3g each).
The second batch of 6, I crushed a bit more, the yield was 2.4, or .4g each.

I believe that if we crushed them good, we can then expect the .5g or, maybe even a bit more.

As soon as I get a chance I'll dry my left over ceramic, crush them, then AR.

There is also the posibility that the older PP's might have a bit more gold the the newer Revised ones. Who knows..."

"Sam, I just went outside & checked my left overs of the PP's, the 60 that I broke and ran thru AR some months ago, & LO & BEHOLD!!!

I found gold leafs & sections of gold solder... I'm afraid one must crush the ceramics more & run a second leach to assure the most gold recovery.
Many still have the silicon waffers on & probably with gold still underneath, that's why my yield back then was so low."

So that's why Samuel just posted;
"So... Me and Phil have been exchanging some of our findings in regards to the ceramics cpu's process.

Before, i was quite convinced that there is no gold within the ceramic substrate.... I guess... just because i can't see it, doesn't mean it ain't there !

As a habit, I'm saving all of the bits and pieces of the processed ceramics and accumulated many pounds of them. So i took some of it, an re-processed it with hot dilute A/R, the results were quite disappointing (but somewhat expected), only very faint gold stain with SnCl2.
Later, I dried this same batch and broke every piece into few smaller ones and again into hot dilute A/R.... boy was i surprised to see the color of the solution and SnCl2 test...

Though, i still think powdering the ceramics will be counteractive, i reckon the suggestion to brake the ceramics into very small pieces is spot on and will give much better results in terms of yields.
A good crushing size will probably be somewhere under 0.2 inches...

So... crush 'em..."

Thanks again, Samuel! 8)

Phil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ_R8Gr26kk&feature=player_embedded
I understood these:
1-Putting CPUs in a beaker.
2-Cover them with water.
3-Add Hcl carefully untill the reaction begins
4- Putting the solution on low heat (I didn't know the heating period )
5-Add NaNo3
6-Putting ice cubes in anther beaker and infuse the solution into it
7-Add sulfuric acid to get rid of lead
8-Adding water tap to completely getting silver out of the solution
9-Filtering
OR
the same steps except number 2
It will be Nitric Acid instead of water
I appreciate your help Sam thank you to all members

2 - cover with silghtly diluted HCl solution (about 1 part of water to 5 parts acid).
4 - for as long as it takes for all metals to dissolve.

Other then that, seems like you are good to go.
I would also offer you to try this process on a small scale first, one or two cpu's. To get a better 'feel' of the process and involved reactions.
Take it slow... and take observation notes.

philddreamer said:
Hi Rotor!

Did you just brake the PP's or did you crush them down a bit? From your results, I would say you just broke them. Samuel & I have been sharing some information on some tests we've done.
Check this post:
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=12717#p126914

By the way, I processed 2 PP's & had a yield of .5g a piece, but I crushed them to about 1/4".

Phil

Phil,

You should crush them to a fine powder, without the copper/tungsten heat spreader.

In step four it is advisable to add a very small amount of sodium nitrate (eg: 1 tablespoon), let this addition react until no more action is seen in the solution (fizzing and small bubbles). Once the small spoonful of niter has reacted add another if the scrap still has visible metal on the cpu housings.

If the action ceases and you still see undissolved metallic solids then you may need more HCl.

Check out this post for a more detail step-by-step of this process:

Lazersteve's Modified Poor Man's AR for CPUs

Steve

This topic has re-kindled my interest in the subject of 'To Crush or Not to Crush!'

I've rounded up 10 PP that are whole and have been processed once before.

I would like to send two out to four other members to process for comparison of results. I'll process the other two.

I'll crush the cpus to approximately 1/4" sized pieces before they are sent out.

Each lot of two cpus will be crushed separately from the others.

We can compare numbers on the crushed material after everything is finished.

If any one is interested let me know and I'll put you on the list of participants.

You can keep what you get out of the two cpus, but you'll have to abide by the rules.

• No further crushing of the sample is allowed.
  • You must process the test cpu sample by itself in a clean beaker and cannot mix with other scrap.
  • You must weigh the resulting BB on digital scales accurate to 0.01 g and post a photo here.
  • You must post photos of your methods and results to the forum on this thread.
  • You will have five working days from the time the cpus arrive to complete the process.
  • You can process by any means you choose, as long as you do not alter the size of the crushed material.
  • I'll pay all shipping cost to get the cpus to you.

Any takers?

I'll post photos of the ten previously processed PP cpus in a few hours after I get them photographed.

Steve

Count me in if you like Steve. I will also rerun 5 pp's that yielded 1.9 g but showed PM's still present on an XRF scan. I can follow the rules.

Hey all, Thanks for the input it has been very helpfull. Wow, Steve I feel privileged to have you so interested in one of my post's. As a new member and a noob Im very greatfull for the input from everyone, and please dont anyone else feel discredited by my comment to Steve. I have started on my PP and will update when I have my results. I would take you up on the offer Steve but A. I live in Australia and B. I feel someone with more experience should do it. I had started before posting this and yes I only broke them up into 4-5 bits each and mine also had some gold left under the silicone. I can't find the list I found to give me the idea that I could get 2grams, It had expected yeilds from 15 or so cpu's and referred to the PP as the holly grail. Maybe I missread and it was a piticular PP, will try and find it again.

I have been running a lot of various ceramic cpu's for yield numbers per pound recently, I would be honored to be included in this test project! :D

Thanks,
Chris

Steve, is there the posibility that the first PP's models had more gold & as the technology advanced, less gold was needed to make them?

Thanks!
Phil

Back