Merged Topics on Ceramic CPU Recovery with Yields

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok NOXX I'm going to try your youtube connection. That is so easy you should have had this done a long time ago. Thanks for the effort is is great.

This is a video of a pentium pro soaked in HCL/ 32% peroxide.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehFPudP93vs[/youtube]

I do not claim that southern accent.... :oops: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:

nice video barren.

you can truly see how thick is that plating dou to the fact that it's not crumbles but rather stays in a leaf form.
thats indicating minimum 30 MicroInch plating.

samuel-a said:
nice video barren.

you can truly see how thick is that plating dou to the fact that it's not crumbles but rather stays in a leaf form.
thats indicating minimum 30 MicroInch plating.

Yea it comes off real nice in a sheet. The gold under the silicone chips is not quite as thick IMHO but it is close, it will stay together as well in a small sheet. I'm looking forward to see what this 20 lbs of material will give me.

Barren,

The higher percentage peroxide likely attacked the tungsten in the heat spreader as in my experiment above. As an added bonus the copper II chloride assited by attacking the copper in the heat spreader also.

Steve

I am really curious especially about the PPros. I think I am going to smash all chips first thing tommorow by putting each inside a towel and unleash hell. About the PPros as I have mentioned before not all weigh the same and die depends on cache size too. Are these fine threads of buses plated or real gold?

And so I did today, unfortunatelly I have a few smaller IC's which I manage to pull out of their board along with a part of it. Any idea of how to get rid of it before sinking them all in AR?

I think I am going to smash all chips first thing tommorow by putting each inside a towel and unleash hell.
You will end up losing some material through the threads of the towel.The material in a towel is not dense enough to stop total penetration of crushed material.Plus there are so many other ways to crush them to a powder with little or no effort.I bought a homemade ballmill today for $20 at a scrap yard,fully complete,then I found a neat device but Im not sure what it was for.It is a pretty large electric motor hooked up to a worm drive gear step down (rpm reducer).Both had reostats and 110v plugs on them.
About the PPros as I have mentioned before not all weigh the same
Can you please elaborate?Are you talking about a couple of milligrams,or a couple of grams?

With the first couple of attempts with 'Thor's Hammer' ( aka sledge :mrgreen: ) , indeed fibers caught a few pins and sharp edges. So I then included everything in a plastic bag and then with a towel. When finished hitting them, I unloaded all of it carefully on an A4 sheet and separated with gloves the larger pieces still unshmashed. The rest went to a small plastic bag.

As for the Pros' weight:

A bit funny, though it may not mean a thing.

catfish said:
Hi Gold digger:

I am kinda like you, some what confused. I am on ebay quite a bit and see folks bidding several dollars for pentium pro chips. I have done many pentium pro chips in the past and never took the time to really get serious about the exact gold content in a pentium pro cpu chip.

Well I just finished two unoffical tests on refining pentium pro cpu chips. I crushed two (2) pentium pro chips very fine and ran them through an Aqua Regia of Nitrate soda and hydrocloric. I then neutrilized the nitric acid to .60 PH and then precipitated with Sodium Met. Let one batch of two sit for eight hours and then decanted off liquid and washed the mud with distilled water and the aqua ammonia then rewashed again for three times with distilled water, dried mud on hot plate and then put it in my oven. Cooked for 40 minutes and then dumped in a sulphric acid to knock off the flux. I also used my special homemade flux to make sure I burn off most unwanted metals. Gold comes out pretty good. The nugget came out at .7 grams.

I then repeated the same test again, except I let this batch sit for 24 hours before decanting, I then poured off the settled gold and then I ran the entire spent aqua regia through my Buchner vacumm filter, using a fine filter. I dried the filter and burned it to ashes and then dried the gold using the above technique. I then melted the gold with the burned filter paper ashes and beleive it or not I got a nugget of .7 Grams.

My calculation is gold at $661.00 per oz. I get 98% spot price for all my gold. This represents about $14.58 per nugget. or $7.29 per chip. I dont understand why some of these folks are paying 5 to 8 dollars per chip. They must know something that I dont.

Catfish
Hi Catfish,
my question is did u run the aqua regia on all the rest of pp ?
u dident remove the pins chemically first ?
why not précipitate gold from pins and cup first by cell then, chimically remove the pins and other materials in between gold , and then crush them to powder as much u can to put in AR and continue the process as described.

Coz i'm facing this problem now and dunno what to do exactly, i'd like that some of the masters like u answer my questions
Thanks in advence

You may not receive a response from Catfish. He hasn't been on the board since April of this year.

Harold

slouma37 said:
Coz i'm facing this problem now and dunno what to do exactly, i'd like that some of the masters like u answer my questions
I wouldn't call myself a master,however I am sure I can add some light to your problem.I have a ball mill and I always process my chips to extract the visible gold first before they go into the mill.This will help in a couple of different ways.
Unless you are operating a wet mill,which I am not,you will ALWAYS lose a small percentage of values.Granted it is a minute amount,however the higher the PM concentration in the powder,the higher the amount of values lost.By "pre"processing them you remove all visible gold from the mix.
Also there are some people that say that some of the gold can accumulate on the inside walls of the mill from being pounded into the metal.It is not a value that is lost per se,however it is a value that will need to be removed to be recovered.I have never experienced this personally,but by "pre"processing,I do not have to worry about it happening too much.
Also I "pre"process with poormans AR so my chemical use is always at a minimum.

Well ty Harold, Steve, mic.
I read all ur posts Steve and Harold but i still missing something in the refining process on both HCl-Cl and AR methods.

I'm losing lot of money acquiering cpu's anso...and getting disappointed on all my results, yields !
Sure i read ur pentium pro result Steve and more than once. But i couldent fix my problem of getting till now maximum 1gr per pound of fingers (acid peroxyde method and, 1 gr per kilo of Intel Pentium cermaic cpu's (between electolytic cell process and AR process on powdered ceramic without the top lid moved with map gaz torch).

May the urea in excess to denox, be the problem ? Why i'm asking this question ? coz my best result was without using it on AR to denox, when i used the heat to 1/3 and adding HCl etc...to denox.

I test evry liquid after filtration to see if somthing escaped like here and there was advised by Harold.
I test even the filter it self (i'm filtering in ceramic buchner under vacuum)

I'm using SMB and the very little gold i get is washed with Harold procedure.

i'm using very clean lab tools (beachers, funnels, erlenmeyrs, filtration glass, just the filters i use are coffee high quality ones)

Can someone tell me where the he.. i'm doing the mistake ?
Thanks alot and excuse my english (not my mother language).

Best regards,
Salim

If the fingers you are processing are not cut close to the edge of the
visible gold, then the weight of the excess board will throw off your
estimated gold yield. One pound of close cut fingers will normally
have a much better gold yield than fingers that are not cut close or
have extra caps, etc. still attached.

AND all fingers are not the same as far as gold content is concerned.
Newer manufactured fingers may have a lower yield than fingers from
older ISA cards. Many fingers are not fully populated like the fingers
from memory or from slot one processors or riser cards which will
also give you a lower yield as there is not as much gold per finger.

Just a few thoughts for you to consider in addition to your thoughts
on how you may be having gold losses while processing.

Ty Glorycloud for ur reply, i'm consious of that but i'll give u an example of what i'm facing as problem:
i dissolved 0.25 gr of 18 carat gold to try analyse where was my mistake or where i'm losing values when recovering.
The experience: dissolution in 8ml HCl 23% + 2 mL of 60% HNO3 of 0.25 Gr 18Carat gold. I must Theorically reover 0.1875 Gr of 24 Carat let's say 99.95%
i used 2.5 Gr of urea to denox after dissolution then i added 2 mL of saturated SMB (+54gr/100 mL).
after syphoning carefully then washing etc, i can get only 0.17Gr
it's 9.33% of loss.
if anyone can help , thanks in advence and just know i'm really desperate with this.

I learned here on the forum, that jewellery maked, lets say 18k, its not always 18k. It can, & almost always is 17.5 or even less, because the law allows that
-.5 of a karat.
There're post on the subject which helped me in finding why I was short on the gold I expected. Since, I calculate my gold 1k under &, so far, I recover gold as expected or a bit more.

Try calculating @ 17k, or 17.5k & compare with your result.

Hope this helps some.

Phil

hi Phil,
yeah in this case the error will be 4% instead of 9.33%.
right now i'm running again an experience with my 1.46 Gr button in 45 ml/11.6mL AR same acid concentrations and let's c...
this time i aint use urea , just heating to denox coz i still suspect that an excess of urea as a reductor too can reduce other metal dissolved that returns to metal and then this metal denoxed is getting plated by some gold that when i use smb, i'm not getting it !!!!!!
Maybe thus why Steve never use urea too by experience...coz the heat process take around 3 hours and the urea addition about 30 minutes too.

thanks for helping

slouma37 said:
hi Phil,
yeah in this case the error will be 4% instead of 9.33%.
right now i'm running again an experience with my 1.46 Gr button in 45 ml/11.6mL AR same acid concentrations and let's c...
this time i aint use urea , just heating to denox coz i still suspect that an excess of urea as a reductor too can reduce other metal dissolved that returns to metal and then this metal denoxed is getting plated by some gold that when i use smb, i'm not getting it !!!!!!
Maybe thus why Steve never use urea too by experience...coz the heat process take around 3 hours and the urea addition about 30 minutes too.

thanks for helping

Are you premixing your AR? Use your nitric in small amounts. Don't premix.

Latest posts

Back