my first attempt

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotrogold

Hello all im new on forum and noob on refining, i got some dozens of old pc, and wanna try to refining some gold. After some reads and videos on internet i have decided to process my scraps in this way.

I want start with 500g of FDD HDD AGP and PCI gold plated pins

1 - dissolve the base metals in NO3
2 - after pured the NO3 i'll dissolve the gold foils in AR (1 NO3 - 3 HCL)
3 - when all gold where dissolved i add the same amount of distilled water an then let precipitate the gold using copper metal
4 - after recovered the powder ill wash it in NO3 again to eliminate eventually metals
5 - when dryed its time to melt my precious.

Is this process good for my purpose? How many NO3 i need to dissolve base metal in 500g of scraps? And how many AR to dissolve the remaining foils?
Is 37% HCL Good for AR or i must use 32% ???

thank all for help and sorri for my english.

Welcome to the forum.
I'm sorry but I think you need to do some studying on the forum before you do any refining.
Start with C.M.Hoke available as a free download of Palladiums signature line for one, also read the forum handbooks and the safety sections here on the forum.
You have a lot to learn but it's all here for free just study and if you get stuck post questions or use the search function, top right of your screen, and help will be on hand.

As a fellow novice I would suggest starting with fingers in AP. Its a relatively simple process to follow and requires only a few cheap easy to obtain chemicals :)

thank ppl, is the AP process good for motherboard pin too?? i only see post with flat fingers in AP

Hi Lotrogold!
Like Nickvc suggested, read & learn the right ways & wrong ways of recovering & refining precious metals.
If you try to follow the procedure you just stated, I'm afriad your going to run into trouble. Take some time & read, especially the AP process, which in my opinion, is best suited for a starter. Be careful with the acids, if you handle them wrong, they will kill you!

Be safe & take care!

Phil

AP will work for almost all gold plated pins with the exception of magnetic base metals such as steel and kovar. these will be stripped in a gold cell better.

@Phil i know about acid and theyr strong fumes, i have worked as electrician so i know that its not a joke to operate with dangerous things. I think i'll start with AP and get practice in separate gold from metals as first step, without hurry.

well, lets start.
my first attempt will be 50g of gold pleated pin in 500ml hcl30/32% and 100ml h2o2 3/4 %.

now the reaction is bubbling, i only have to w8 or i can accelerate using an aquarium air pump??

an air pump will speed things up and so will a little heat. now understand i mean a little, about as much as you would get if you left it in the sun on a hot day. on a hotplate it would be low setting. it will still take about 7-10 days to completely dissolve the base metals.

Be careful when trying to "accelerate" the process.
If you add too much peroxide (oxidizer) & heat, be aware that you will dissolve gold. The gold will then cement as a black powder, because of the base metals higher in the Reactivity Series in the solution. So, at the end of the reaction, filter the solution & include the black powder together with the gold foils & then dissolve with some HCl/Cl.

philddreamer said:
Be careful when trying to "accelerate" the process.
If you add too much peroxide (oxidizer) & heat, be aware that you will dissolve gold. The gold will then cement as a black powder, because of the base metals higher in the Reactivity Series in the solution. So, at the end of the reaction, filter the solution & include the black powder together with the gold foils & then dissolve with some HCl/Cl.

thanks for the advice, but at the end i have decided to not accelerate the solution and let it stay at externa temperature under sun light and wait. After 5 hours the solution its green the gold is clear as i put it in, the base metal looks darken, and in the solution i see like mist floating beetwen above pins is that normal?

Good decision; be patiente. Like good wine, it needs its time... 8)
Observe & enjoy the expirience. Write down the steps you have taken, so you can use as reference in future batches.

The mist is vapors. When there is lots of humidity in the air, it will be a fog! :lol:

philddreamer said:
Good decision; be patiente. Like good wine, it needs its time... 8)
Observe & enjoy the expirience. Write down the steps you have taken, so you can use as reference in future batches.

The mist is vapors. When there is lots of humidity in the air, it will be a fog! :lol:

sure i got some photos tomorrow il post all including the 20th hour photo

there's not many solder, i have used 10ml hcl for 1 gram of pin, the base metal just looks darken like burned but nothing dissolved

lotrogold said:
Hello all im new on forum and noob on refining, i got some dozens of old pc, and wanna try to refining some gold. After some reads and videos on internet i have decided to process my scraps in this way.

I want start with 500g of FDD HDD AGP and PCI gold plated pins

1 - dissolve the base metals in NO3
2 - after pured the NO3 i'll dissolve the gold foils in AR (1 NO3 - 3 HCL)
3 - when all gold where dissolved i add the same amount of distilled water an then let precipitate the gold using copper metal
4 - after recovered the powder ill wash it in NO3 again to eliminate eventually metals
5 - when dryed its time to melt my precious.

Is this process good for my purpose? How many NO3 i need to dissolve base metal in 500g of scraps? And how many AR to dissolve the remaining foils?
Is 37% HCL Good for AR or i must use 32% ???

thank all for help and sorri for my english.
i wouls use 32.5 thats what i use

i have added 100ml more hcl, but the reaction still looks weak, its not like boiling as i seen on youtubes experiment, it only have some bubbles form bottom to top

Latest posts

Back