my first attempt

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after 2 days the new solution looks clear, really clear and after stir it become ashes, whay a yellow/green solution turn back to clear??

did you put some of the green solution from your last batch in with this batch? if you will, it will dissolve the copper from the pins and fingers faster.

Geo said:
did you put some of the green solution from your last batch in with this batch? if you will, it will dissolve the copper from the pins and fingers faster.

no my last solution is still dark, i have to turn it back to green as you say some posts ago.

for palladium, yes there are some motherboard pin with a few tin where they were solded to motherboard

put some of the old solution in with the old solution. it will turn green when you add it. it is still copper chloride even if it is saturated with copper, it is better than adding peroxide.

Hows it going lotrogold? Its been a while and i'm interested to hear how your progressing on this. Did you dissolve your powders and foils in HCL-CL yet?

ok seems to be the place. Hello all and yes im new to all of this. I wish i took chemistry when i was in high school lol. Well Im buying some fingers and I just want to seperate the gold from the other stuff. I had a slight chat with Lsteve and he said the process i was about to buy was a (ferric chloride). Now heres the big question. Which one is most effective and the safest process? acid peroxide or ferric chloride? Thanks ill be waiting.

ferric chloride (iron(II)chloride) is used as an etchant in the creation of circuit boards and will do the job, but not many people on the forum that i know uses it to process fingers, as far as i know. copper chloride will do just as well and is much more familiar to members here. if you get in trouble with a process and need to ask a question you may get more responses from people that are familiar with the process involved. AP is very simple to set up and monitor and in the end the result should be the same. is one better than the other? in my opinion the two are very similar with about the same etch rate and besides im not sure you can re-use ferric chloride but i know for a fact you can re-use copper chloride.

well thanks Geo Im gonna be smart and get lsteves dvd on fingers. I feel its the best bet. Now heres somthing weird. Have you ever ruined gold to the point were it wont pass a magnet test? I read this out of finishing.com. I dont know its true or not but the old gal couldnt sell her gold do to that factor. Honestly I never knew gold had a magnetic point. This is the mistake i want to avoid the most.:(

in the natural world gold is non-magnetic. you cant ruin gold, you can change its composition by adding or subtracting other material but gold will always be gold. the normal person would not have the means to change the atomic structure of gold to the point of it not being gold. this person most likely had gold plated steel and assumed it was pure gold.

Palladium said:
Note: I didn’t build it for gold. It was meant for copper recovery with gold being secondary.

Palladium - What process are you using to recover the copper from solution?

I would like to recover many pounds of copper from AP for resale and have seen some threads on recovering it electrolitically using graphite anode/cathode.

Is that your process?

Latest posts

Back