Poor mans Nitric and Silver

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used Geo’s method from his video many times to do gold filled. I treat the silver chloride as being dirty so I use sulfuric and iron to recover the silver and then (depending on how dirty) use a silver cell on it.

This mentions nothing about inquarting. So please tell me where you see that on the forum? Have you done this process personally? So that I can go with your advice instead of what I've read so far?
If the Gold filled has a sufficient low karat (6 karat)
You do not need to inquart it, you need to read the hallmark to see that.
And of course it has to do with the thickness of the foils, if they are thin enough it may go well.

All Gold has to be refined according to its characteristics not the name it has.
If it is above 6 karat it has to be inquarted for any normal refining, there are methods to bypass it, but that is not for hobbyists.
If you try to part Gold that is higher than 6 karat it will not be pure and will need more refining, adding to the cost.

Gold-filled is not an alloy. It is a layered material constructed in two or three layers. The core metal is jewelers' brass; though, in the past, sterling silver was sometimes used instead. Single clad gold-filled has all the gold content in a single layer on one side.Aug 20, 20

Google says this

Gold-filled is not an alloy. It is a layered material constructed in two or three layers. The core metal is jewelers' brass; though, in the past, sterling silver was sometimes used instead. Single clad gold-filled has all the gold content in a single layer on one side.Aug 20, 20

Google says this

That is wrong, it is an alloy 12, 14,18 karat that is "filled" with a base metal by rolling or what ever method used,
but when you have dissolved the base metal you are left with foils, right?
And how thick are these foils?
Are they like ram finger foils or much thicker?
Your Silver would for the most part have been inside these foils,
so it will not amount to much depending on the amount of Gold filled you process.

Edited to get correct meaning

Last edited:
I know, but when you have dissolved the base metal you are left with foils, right?
And how thick are these foils?
Are they like ram finger foils or much thicker?
I'm sure they are thicker. But should be pretty free of silver because the nitric(in my case poor Man's nitric) we'll have to solved the silver into solution by the time the foils are are coming off of the jewelry so it should be mostly gold?

When you work with gold filled jewelry do you inquart? Please tell me your process. I'll try it next time.

Google says this
There should also be a secondary marking 1/10 or 1/20

I'm sure they are thicker. But should be pretty free of silver because the nitric(in my case poor Man's nitric) we'll have to solved the silver into solution by the time the foils are are coming off of the jewelry so it should be mostly gold?

When you work with gold filled jewelry do you inquart? Please tell me your process. I'll try it next time.
I have never found Gold filled, I'm not even sure it exist in my country.

I think there are members using only HCl to dissolve some of the base metal and then physically remove the foils.

Not a problem with this gold. It's getting the silver. Poor man's nitric some say it can't be used with to get the silver and some say it can. Thru my research I found contradictory answers.
Just add Salt and all silver will drop as Chloride.
The amount of additional Sulfuric may or may not cause an issue.
But if you use Calcium Nitrate that should be eliminated almost completely.

The reason gold filled is not recommended to inquart is due to the remaining foils not being passivated because of thickness of the material. I have always had a few chunks of mostly silver chloride left but nothing that would dissuade me from using AR on recovered gold filled foils.

Back