Pretty old hard drives! 170mb + 631mb!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, the computer at work was an 8. Mhz. Mine was 12 MHz all the time. It had 1 MB of ram, and the whole 1 MB could be accessed. Many machines at the time had a Mb, but only 640 In was usable. You had to use special utilities to access the upper 384 K, but with them you could move parts of the OS into the upper RAM, leaving more of the lower 640 available t run your programs. Good times indeed!

Dave

You have any cellphones from that era to get rid of, and I'm your huckleberry. Those suckers are usually loaded with gold !
If you were to have it as a collector, i wouldn't mind sending any of which i have available for free, but i doubt any would be of use, and yes i will lower supply and refine whatever is inside otherwise :). I also have no idea how old or new is any of the phones i hold, i'll asume everything is from around 2000 from the few older ones.

You Kids! When I as 30 there wasn't yet such a thing as a PC. It's a strange world; I never was a computer expert - or nut, but along the way my career passed through being the IS Director of a NYSE listed company.

How about pretty, old, AND heavy hard drives?
About 75 lbs each, runs on 220.
IBM 9335 Direct Access Storage Subsystem, "Kestrel" 3-14 inch dual actuators. 850mb 1986
Anyone know what sort of PMs I can pull from these other than the SLT PCB card cage?
I put one into the local museum. They made a nice workbench for years.
I need to find a local refiner.
IMG_20200725_180621.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200725_180323.jpg
    IMG_20200725_180323.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
That thing looks nice, note most pgm's were dirt cheap back in the days.

The IBM batch of hard drives i got have like 4-5 smaller platters inside with the corresponding head readers, and the pcb has a pretty big golden oscillator on it besides other several goodies. Might share some pics of them other time. Server grade stuff gets quite nice.

More oldies but goodies! Now these are big and old. I met the nephew of old man that used to run a store for computers and electronics. Who is now cleaning it out. So I have 2 or 3 of these hard drives that are still in the original packaging. If anyone is interested in collecting them and will pay for them then I'd consider selling instead of recycling them. The rest of the stuff needs to be researched first. As well as the hard drives. But there's more where these came from. I finally hit a good vein in the mining of electronic gold.

Attachments

• IMG_20230514_165603147.jpg
    IMG_20230514_165603147.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230514_165553276.jpg
    IMG_20230514_165553276.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
My first computer was a Commodore SX64, which was the portable version. Worked the whole summer holidays through to earn the money to buy one, whereas my friends went to Italy or Spain to chill on the beaches. When I bought it - at the time the price was 1050 Deutsche Mark - I only had 10 DM left. Either I could buy some floppy disk or a joystick - not both. I bought the floppy disks. Then I was broke again, but veeeery happy. That was around 1984.

In 1987, my first PC was an IBM PC with an 8086 CPU and no hard drive. However, it was too slow to play games, so I started looking for ways to increase its speed. One day, while at university, I came across the server room, and a colleague mentioned that the room had an air conditioner to cool the hardware. Additionally, I took a course where we learned about calculating the life expectancy of electronic components and the transfer of heat from the die to the heatsink, calculate forced convection, among other topics. I was fascinated by it all.

Inspired by this newfound knowledge, I obtained some tubes, a Peltier element, and a convector from a car's heating system at a scrap yard. With these materials, I built a water cooler for my computer.

By 1999, I had established my first large IT company and introduced the world's first commercial water cooler for PCs at the CeBit Computer fair in Hannover. At the time the largest IT tradeshow in the world. For years we attended the show (also the COMDEX Las Vegas and other shows), always next to AMD who we supplied with CPU coolers, heatsinks, and such stuff.

So if next time you see a watercooled PC - remember how it all came. A poor student, who wanted to play games with his lame IBM PC.
And because he didn´t have the money to afford a faster model, he invented the PC watercooling ;-)

Last edited:
My first computer was a Commodore SX64, which was the portable version. Worked the whole summer holidays through to earn the money to buy one, whereas my friends went to Italy or Spain to chill on the beaches. When I bought it - at the time the price was 1050 Deutsche Mark - I only had 10 DM left. Either I could buy some floppy disk or a joystick - not both. I bought the floppy disks. Then I was broke again, but veeeery happy. That was around 1984.

In 1987, my first PC was an IBM PC with an 8086 CPU and no hard drive. However, it was too slow to play games, so I started looking for ways to increase its speed. One day, while at university, I came across the server room, and a colleague mentioned that the room had an air conditioner to cool the hardware. Additionally, I took a course where we learned about calculating the life expectancy of electronic components and the transfer of heat from the die to the heatsink, calculate forced convection, among other topics. I was fascinated by it all.

Inspired by this newfound knowledge, I obtained some tubes, a Peltier element, and a convector from a car's heating system at a scrap yard. With these materials, I built a water cooler for my computer.

By 1999, I had established my first IT large company and introduced the world's first commercial water cooler for PCs at the CeBit Computer fair in Hannover. At the time the largest IT tradeshow in the world. For years we attended the show (also the COMDEX Las Vegas and other shows), always next to AMD who we supplied with CPU coolers, heatsinks, and such stuff.

So if next time you see a watercooled PC - remember how it all came. A poor student, who wanted to play games with his lame IBM PC.
And because he didn´t have the money to afford a faster model, he invented the PC watercooling ;-)
That story was fascinating. Thank for sharing it with all who read.

By 1999, I had established my first IT large company and introduced the world's first commercial water cooler for PCs at the CeBit Computer fair in Hannover. At the time the largest IT tradeshow in the world. For years we attended the show (also the COMDEX Las Vegas and other shows), always next to AMD who we supplied with CPU coolers, heatsinks, and such stuff.

i always wondered who had ten pound cahonies to put liquid cooling into a very hot electronic device using different metals (knowing the corrosion that occurs on the top of your hot water heater from the unlike metals touching one another) whilst plugged into a 110 wall outlet. I loved the same machines listed and still have them in my warehouse stacked up; probably used the same computer labs you did in the 80's to type reports and play zork online.

i always wondered who had ten pound cahonies to put liquid cooling into a very hot electronic device using different metals (knowing the corrosion that occurs on the top of your hot water heater from the unlike metals touching one another) whilst plugged into a 110 wall outlet. I loved the same machines listed and still have them in my warehouse stacked up; probably used the same computer labs you did in the 80's to type reports and play zork online.
There is no problem putting water in closed systems inside the PC,
there will be no thermal shock unless you forget to turn on the pumps and then start them too late,
which will have ruined things without the shock anyway.
And on this side of the pond we use 230-250V :cool:

There are people running phase change cooling to, (read freezers).
Even some with emerged mineral oil cooling, if I'm not mistaken, Cray did that with their servers.

i always wondered who had ten pound cahonies to put liquid cooling into a very hot electronic device using different metals (knowing the corrosion that occurs on the top of your hot water heater from the unlike metals touching one another) whilst plugged into a 110 wall outlet.
Using (the right) oil is the way to go. No electric conductivity, no corrosion much more heat capacity.
I still have some major advanced cooling principles that we developed that make you freak out. They never have been put into real products though. Maybe one day they will. I have not even seen any patents in that direction until today.
I am no longer working on this stuff. It has become a very cheap consumer product mainly made in China. Not much room left for expensive research and experiments.
I wrote so much, I will upload some photos of exotic material that I still have in my "labatory" (my man cave) in the next days...

OK here is one from those "good ol days", a brochure for a trade show with some of the products we developed. A sintered copper CPU cooler, a CPU adapter with an integrated switching power regulator, that would allow you to use faster CPUs than your PC socket was designed for, and a PCB that could hack AMD slot CPUs to unlock their maximum speed. All from spring 2000.
20230115_192815.jpg

Last edited:
When I get in old computers, laptops and hard drives (IDE, MFM, SCSI),
I set them aside in my "retirement savings" section of my tech space.
Have you seen what old computers sell for on eBay????? :)

So I couldn't help it. I just had to crack one of these bad boys open to see what all is in there. Take a look at those big a$$ magnets!
The platters on those are so much thicker and larger then the ones we have nowadays. And the readers have 10 tips or so. Just the cases they came in looks more like a part for an automobile. Think those platters being big like that might even have some measurable amounts of what? Platinum I'm told? Maybe silver?

Server grade also looks pretty decent, I have my hands on a bunch of hard drives that I want to test. Many of them got little to no platinum but I do have a feeling for old stuff and server grade. No silver afaik.
Oh yeah, the magnets are truly amazing :).

Back