Pyrolysis,Sn removal,AP,HCL/Cl

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AztekShine

This will be my first attempt! I will succeed no dout. I want to make a complete log but didn't really know where to put it. So I figured this must be the place! I am beginning with my flat packs stored inside smoking boxes for smokeing meats with hardwood powder. And burning them in a smoker huh go figure...I am goinng to leave the lid off and use the body of the smoker like a flue to produce a draft as to increase heat. Thought about a leaf blower but can't afford one yet but this may work fine. I plan on running the boxes once and then when the coal is finished stiring the boxes if I have to and going again hopefully that will do the trick.

Thanks,
Will

Attachments

• 2012-03-05 04.06.50.jpg
    2012-03-05 04.06.50.jpg
    75.4 KB
  • 2012-03-05 04.09.56.jpg
    2012-03-05 04.09.56.jpg
    42.5 KB
Will, I would keep the cover on & make a couple of holes, one were you can introduce a torch as an afterburner to burn & take care of most of the smoke, the second for some exhaust.
I'm sure you'll be doing this outside & you don't have neighbors too close... it will stink if you don't burn ALL the smoke! :mrgreen:

The boxes are S.S.?

Take care & be safe!

Phil

I will be covering the stainless steel boxes in charcoal ergo covered boxes. I never have used this smoker really have no use for it.

I wonder if you could take the lid off and put a weed burner somehow across the top or, maybe, a little into the top? Sort of an afterburner to burn those nasty pyrolysis gases.

I think this is what happens with pyrolysis. Correct me if I'm wrong. As everyone knows, it takes oxygen to burn most anything. When you get organic materials hot enough, with not enough oxygen present to make them burn, the volatile ingredients will vaporize, leaving behind carbon, mainly. This is called pyrolysis. If these very combustible off-gases are too confined and too concentrated and, if any oxygen (air) is allowed to co-mingle with them, the temperature will increase dramatically and an explosion can occur.

These explosions occur mainly when people are trying to confine the off-gases and condense them to produce an oil. When circuit boards were phenolic and, I heard, contained 40% phenol oil ($40/gallon at the time), I remember people talking (never heard of anyone actually doing it) about using pyrolysis. I knew a guy in Oregon that was pyrolyzing tires. In between explosions, he got a drum of oil (and a lot of fine steel wire and carbon black) from a ton of tires. These systems must be 100% sealed, with zero possibility of air entry.

We're not after any oil, so we can use an afterburner and burn these nasty, toxic, stinking off-gases.

To pyrolyze openly, the parts must be somewhat confined in preferably a steel box. There must be holes large enough to let the off-gases freely escape into the afterburner, yet not so small that the off-gases can build up in the box. Keep in mind that, the higher the temperature, the faster the generation of off-gases.

After everything that's going to vaporize has vaporized, you can remove the box lid and burn the carbon to white ash. This will allow you to get to the metals.

AztekShine said:
I will be covering the stainless steel boxes in charcoal ergo covered boxes. I never have used this smoker really have no use for it.

I wouldn't cover the holes. You want to release the off-gases, not trap them.

Why would I put paraphernalia across the top? :lol: No really what is a weed burner..man?

Aaahh yeah I just googled it sry but I couldnt resist. Ya I was looking at them in tractor supply. That would work.

So ya think I should 86 the body and just put the lid on the base?

Edit: posting whyle a poster was posting now re posting

AztekShine said:
Why would I put paraphernalia across the top? :lol: No really what is a weed burner..man?

Aaahh yeah I just googled it sry but I couldnt resist. Ya I was looking at them in tractor supply. That would work.

So ya think I should 86 the body and just put the lid on the base?

They're about $40.

I would keep the body but remove the lid. That way, the off-gases will be channeled into the burner.

the problem with that is this, have you ever put charcoal lighter on a BBQ that wouldn't light properly? if so, how long did it take for your eyebrows to grow back? if you put lighter fluid on the material while its still hot, it will flash combust and perhaps hurt you badly.

Should be good enough for the mother in-laws steak to be cooked on! While the chips are in their of course 8)

Geo said:
the problem with that is this, have you ever put charcoal lighter on a BBQ that wouldn't light properly? if so, how long did it take for your eyebrows to grow back? if you put lighter fluid on the material while its still hot, it will flash combust and perhaps hurt you badly.

Yeah don't try this at home kids.

I don't have a propane torch/weed burner at the moment. And I figure it will act as an after burner of sorts.With a similar burn surface area as a weed burner. Not as hot tho.

Wow that was a lot more smoke than I thought would be produced...

Here you go first picture is the 2 batches of coal, I wanted to get as close as I could to incenaration so I put coals on top also as you see in picture two. Picture three is me trying to afterburn with naptha...I think you need between 4 and 6 weed burners to even begin to touch the smoke. It was aweful for about 10min reduced by half for 5more min. and they have been roasting now for 1.5hrs total. I am going to inspect the boxes of chips now.

Ok aparently photos from my ipod are in valid. I will try to load them tomoro from my pc at work. Their in jpeg. At the moment.

Here's the chips. Even the ones that are still black are chrispy enough to break with the slightest tap. This is good I supose.

Attachments

• 2012-03-05 20.53.34.jpg
    2012-03-05 20.53.34.jpg
    79.9 KB
If you go to the internet and look up how to bulid a Wood Gas generator i think the same set up would work great on Chips, it might even work on whole boards.
FEMA has PDF file on the internet on how to run a car or tractoer with wood gas, i think you could run a gas engine on the gas poduced from the flat packs.
And if gas prices keep going up you might want to run your car on wood gas,Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back