Pyrolysis,Sn removal,AP,HCL/Cl

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manorman said:
FEMA has PDF file on the internet on how to run a car or tractoer with wood gas, i think you could run a gas engine on the gas poduced from the flat packs.
And if gas prices keep going up you might want to run your car on wood gas,Just a thought.

The first part was genius but the latter freakin brilliant! I have studied wood gas genarators. And do believe that it would work. I like to think I could be driving around and breaking down flat packs at the same time for free! :twisted:

So I crushed the chips tonite and am soaking the crushed chips in HCL to remove the tin and what I belive to be some zinc I found in one of the chips. I have never reacted tin before only zinc in HCL. Ill post a pic of a piece of what I think may be zinc and let y'all see what you think. The metal was verry soft. Much softer than I belive tin would be.

Attachments

• 2012-03-07 00.59.34.jpg
    2012-03-07 00.59.34.jpg
    48.5 KB
  • 2012-03-07 02.32.30.jpg
    2012-03-07 02.32.30.jpg
    42.2 KB
  • 2012-03-07 01.00.35.jpg
    2012-03-07 01.00.35.jpg
    67.4 KB
where is all the powder that the gold. the burnt chip resin has the wires.

have you read any post on this.

you should have sold that smoker on craigslist and bought some equipment.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12631&hilit=chips+flat+packs

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=13081

This is just in the last few months.

Eric

etack said:
where is all the powder that the gold. the burnt chip resin has the wires.

have you read any post on this.

you should have sold that smoker on craigslist and bought some equipment.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12631&hilit=chips+flat+packs

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=13081

This is just in the last few months.

Eric

Yep those post are what I have been following. Also patnor's PDF. The only difference between what Phil and I did was soak in HCL first. In my pics that is only about 10-15 chips. That smoker worth bout $15 used. How did you do your last batch of chips Eric? I would apreciate some first hand experience. And some equipment tips would be helpful also. Oh and on a $15 limit.

Im going to assume you aren't getting enough info from the pics so I'll fill you in. That's about 15-20 chips in that pan. You can almost count em from the ceramics. 2lbs completely fills the bottom about an inch and a half deep. Did you think this part threw before replying???

Will

Oh and by judging the reaction of the soft white metal in the HCL. And knowing what is inside chips from experience. What do you think the soft white metal is?

It resulted in a yellow liquid.

HCL Soak.

Last night the acid was grey looking. Today it is green tinted. Shurely copper, if not some nickel. The latter I haven't noticed being discussed in PC's.

Edit: I see now that nickel is present I ceramic copasitors.

Attachments

• 2012-03-07 13.37.58.jpg
    2012-03-07 13.37.58.jpg
    43.5 KB
No. Should I? It seams to have worked thoroughly. I've been wrong before tho.

I understand why It would be nassicary but I didn't notice anything.

AztekShine said:
Oh and by judging the reaction of the soft white metal in the HCL. And knowing what is inside chips from experience. What do you think the soft white metal is?

It resulted in a yellow liquid.

I see upon further research tin does turn HCL yellow. Looks like I may have made stannous chloride. From metal from a chip. Very interesting .

most electronics solder will have some mixture of tin and silver and antimony . some of the very old stuff from the early 70's will have some lead in it as well.

Oh, last night I put some on a q-tip to "test" my HCL I drained off. No color change , but the yellow liquid was almost jelly like.

put some in a plastic bottle and freeze it, if its tin it will precipitate out as a snow white crystal and then turn darker if the solution stays below 20°F for a few days.

@ Geo will do!

@ Acid bath, thanks I hasent had time to find that yet. But it will be my new project! That is so brilliant.

I like to call this...Two bottels one pump!...lol anyways AP is started now I have all my supplys needed. Except a crucable and borax. But ill order that his weekend. Thanks for the tin Steve!

Edit: My AP is HCL covering the chips by a couple centimeter and 2.5ml of H2O2 added to each jar. The jar system is daisy chained and I have injection ports on he lids. As not to have to remove the lid to add H2O2 or Cl in the next process.

Attachments

• 2012-03-12 14.44.15.jpg
    2012-03-12 14.44.15.jpg
    62.3 KB
AztekShine said:
I like to call this...Two bottels one pump!...lol anyways AP is started now I have all my supplys needed. Except a crucable and borax. But ill order that his weekend. Thanks for the tin Steve!

Edit: My AP is HCL covering the chips by a couple centimeter and 2.5ml of H2O2 added to each jar. The jar system is daisy chained and I have injection ports on he lids. As not to have to remove the lid to add H2O2 or Cl in the next process.

hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's not enough solution for that amount of metal. it will quickly saturate and turn brown. then the copper will plate back out onto the material and it will clear with a red "rust" on all the material. when you add more H2O2 ot will turn green and then back to clear shortly after.
Picture 121.jpgPicture 118.jpg

No Sir you are not bearing bad news in the least! I am most greatful.

I see your jar is full of metal tho. Mine is full of pyrolysed plastic and ceramic for the most part. And being that a gallon of HCL can hold 3lb of Cu, I figured it would work ok. I just checked it and it's going strong still.

If theirs something I may not be taking into consideration please let me kno. I tend to make mistakes by not thinking things through sometimes.

Either way I will keep a close eye on it. If it gets too dark I should add more HCL?

Latest posts

Back