Pyrolysis,Sn removal,AP,HCL/Cl

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if it begins to look like what you see in my picture, start your solution over. i believe what had happened was, the solution ran out of hcl. this happened before i had PH test strips, so there was no way for me to know for sure. it was ¾ of a pound of pins in 1 full quart of hcl. in the pictures, you can see the white copper chloride in the bottom of the jar.i finished the reaction in a gallon jug.

Go to lazersteve's site and download the CuCl II document- it takes some time for it to absorb completely (at least for me! ) but it is actually the CuCl II that effects the dissolution of the base metals. The addition of H2O2/air injection is the means to generate/regenerate it. Periodic additions of HCl do help to maintain the proper ph.

Thanks ... I've been reading that this whole time too... Lol I know I may be sounding like a smart ass but I really am searching and studying everything I can. It is hard to wrap your brain around but I think I got it.

Tonite I checked them again and I noticed no color change.

I expected the AP to darken. I added 3 ml of H2O2.

We will see in the Am if their is any darkening of the AP.

AP is darker today. Bight not be enough base metals to darken it much more. I am going to let it run a few more days and then go to HCL/Cl.

6 days after AP started. Solution has been getting darker. I'm going 4 more days to keep it in line with Steve's CuCl PDF.

The pins I can see have a silver color to them and look completely whole. I'll get a pic up in the am.

EDIT!...Ok so Saturday I unplugged my bubbler. The AP was still translucent dark green. I just went to plug it back up and the AP is so dark light will not pass threw it.

My pins are still whole. No noticeable change to anything. I didn't add anything.
I don't recall reading about something like this happening. After stopping O2 introduction that is.

AztekShine said:
6 days after AP started. Solution has been getting darker. I'm going 4 more days to keep it in line with Steve's CuCl PDF.

The pins I can see have a silver color to them and look completely whole. I'll get a pic up in the am.

EDIT!...Ok so Saturday I unplugged my bubbler. The AP was still translucent dark green. I just went to plug it back up and the AP is so dark light will not pass threw it.

My pins are still whole. No noticeable change to anything. I didn't add anything.
I don't recall reading about something like this happening. After stopping O2 introduction that is.

The addition of 02 is what keeps the AP rejuvinatd to do it job.

10-4

The ph tester I have is a POS. it's for soil but reads to 3.5, It peg'ed out...before it started reacting ,lol... I'll see if I can order some paper.

At any rate it's lower than 3.5...

Last night I washed twice with HCL and 3 times with hot water and started HCL/Cl. It turned yellow just as advertised. So I let it sit over night. And I'm ashamed to say it has green in it.

I kno I can clean it so I'm going to continue with HCL/Cl process. Then clean my sponge when HCL/Cl is done.

Stannous test positive but light in the first wash.

I'm shure some of you are smiling right now :lol: ya the newb isn't as badass as he thought he was!

I'm learning tho the best way I kno how, from mistakes.

That's my philosophy: if you never make mistakes you will never fully understand why you are doing what your doing.

If it is just a little (light) green the copper will not hurt much, but if it is loaded with copper then it does become a problem.

It does not take much copper to color solutions.

Here's the first and second wash. This is to date the coolest chemistry experiment I have ever done :mrgreen:

Whoops uploaded backerds :x

Attachments

• 2012-03-23 22.53.54.jpg
    2012-03-23 22.53.54.jpg
    46.7 KB
  • 2012-03-23 22.52.42.jpg
    2012-03-23 22.52.42.jpg
    46.2 KB
It's not the light... When I washed the 2nd run same deal. The copper must have settled. Because when I dumped it it went dark. Not transparent at all.

If I'm getting so much copper does it mean my gold isn't desolveing as much? Or is it all goin in solution. Because Im pretty shure I'm getting a lite reading with SnCl.

Edit: I was wrong I am not getting a positive test with SnCl .

tiny pieces of copper foils break off if you agitate the material, if its pins, then its tiny slivers of copper that didnt dissolve.either way all you can do is keep washing it. now would be a good time to give it a good boil in some fresh hcl.

Latest posts

Back