Reduction of gold from a mixed solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want a chemical analysis
Then you will have to send it to someone able to do some kind of masspectrographic analysis.
ICP or similar.
Orvi is not too far away from you, so maybe he can chime in with some tips on where to send it?
Send him an PM and ask.

Hello everyone. I exposed a small amount of sand to the action of HCl for 3 days and then boiled it. Washed three times. Added by AR. It worked for a day and cooked. Obtained a red-brown solution. Now when I add FeSO4 to that solution, will it pull only gold or other metals as well. Lead did not appear during neutralization. Does that mean he isn't there or lead appears when adding the reductant?

Post has been edited by OP

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone. I exposed a small amount of sand to the action of HCl for 3 days and then boiled it. Washed three times. Added by AR. It worked for a day and cooked. Obtained a red-brown solution. Now when I add FeSO4 to that solution, will it pull only gold or other metals as well. Lead did not appear during neutralization. Does that mean he isn't there or lead appears when adding the reductant?
Is this the same material you had in your other posts?

Is this the same material you had in your other posts?

Exactly and now I want to get that ball of gold separated from other metals.

I need advice

First, I took a small portion of the solution and added FeSO4. I got a lighter brown precipitate. Is it good to do this with the rest of the solution? First, I should wash the powder by boiling it in water 3 times, then HCl again, then Water 3 times, then HNO3, then water and it should be pure gold? Should it be washed in ammonia - I don't have it. Does ammonium chloride solution help?

Post has been edited silently by the OP

I need advice

First, I took a small portion of the solution and added FeSO4. I got a lighter brown precipitate. Is it good to do this with the rest of the solution? First, I should wash the powder by boiling it in water 3 times, then HCl again, then Water 3 times, then HNO3, then water and it should be pure gold? Should it be washed in ammonia - I don't have it. Does ammonium chloride solution help?
So why did you not post it the same place?
this is cluttering the forum and making it hard to find the information to give advice from.
You will get more and better advice if it is in one section,
I will move it for you if you tell where the processing of this material started.

Edited to add text.

I need advice

If you ever want to switch between HCl and Nitric you NEED to roast the powders, if not you will form a bit of AR and dissolve some of it.

Do you know for sure it has Gold in it?
Have you tested it with Stannous?

That is very important. Thank you. This rest should be as written or not?
It is hard to say until we have collected these texts into one thread and can get the whole picture.
Have you tested with Stannous???

That is very important. Thank you. This rest should be as written
It is important that you understand the value of keeping a thread question in one place. This forum is composed of members from all over the globe and there are a lot of threads to look at. The more threads there are the more complicated it gets, especially for non native English speakers. By keeping your question on a single thread, and staying on topic, it makes finding information easier using the search function.

And having easy to search for answers makes life on the forum easier all around. I'm sure you can appreciate that!

It is important that you understand the value of keeping a thread question in one place. This forum is composed of members from all over the globe and there are a lot of threads to look at. The more threads there are the more complicated it gets, especially for non native English speakers. By keeping your question on a single thread, and staying on topic, it makes finding information easier using the search function.

And having easy to search for answers makes life on the forum easier all around. I'm sure you can appreciate that!
That is why I asked where he want me to put his posts so they reside in the same thread,
it is also much easier to get the sequence of events and give appropriate advice.

I did not use the tin test because I already know that there are more elements in the solution. After neutralization of nitrogen with urea, no chloride appeared. After injecting the FeSO4 solution, the solution released this yellow-beige precipitate from the first picture. I filtered the precipitate and it seemed to me like chloride, I returned the solution to the heat source and heated it. Then a new sediment appeared from the second picture. If this first is a chloride, which chloride would it be because it is not white and does not solube in a hot water. So it shouldn't be lead. If the first is gold, what would this second red-brown precipitate be?

The sediment from the first photo is in reality much lighter and the second a little less red. The cell phone camera changes color a bit.

Post has been edited silently by the OP

I did not use the tin test because I already know that there are more elements in the solution. After neutralization of nitrogen with urea, no chloride appeared. After injecting the FeSO4 solution, the solution released this yellow-beige precipitate from the first picture. I filtered the precipitate and it seemed to me like chloride, I returned the solution to the heat source and heated it. Then a new sediment appeared from the second picture. If this first is a chloride, which chloride would it be because it is not white and does not solube in a hot water. So it shouldn't be lead. If the first is gold, what would this second red-brown precipitate be?

The sediment from the first photo is in reality much lighter and the second a little less red. The cell phone camera changes color a bit.
We do not neutralize Nitric, we destroy/decompose it by chemical means (Sulfamic acid best, or Urea not recommended) or by evaporating to syrup.
Neutralising in chemical terms mean to bring a solution to pH 7.

And without testing you are stumbling around blind.

If you do not know if there are Gold in solution all your efforts may be in vain.

You will not see any Chlorides by itself and since you did not test all the pictures and action will be moot.

ok then another time. you are very strict
The science of Chemistry is even stricter.
It do not ask for intentions or other things it just do what it is supposed to do whether we want it or not.
Dissolving rocks/sands without an assay is begging for trouble, you have no idea what is in there.
When that is said, can you elaborate why you did not test with Stannous?

And please tell me where you want you posts dealing with this to reside, in the first thread?

It remains unclear why you are trying to convince me that gold and precious metals do not exist. Gold plates can be seen with the naked eye in the sand. I said that it was treated with HCl for several days and then boiled. So if it was cleaned and you claim that FeSO4 extracts only gold, then what else could have been extracted. As if you want to say that everything obtained is garbage. That's really not right.

PERSONS WITH LONG YEARS OF EXPERIENCE ALREADY KNOW WHAT COLORS GOLD IS WITH WHICH REDUCER AND AT WHAT ACIDITY.

It remains unclear why you are trying to convince me that gold and precious metals do not exist. Gold plates can be seen with the naked eye in the sand. I said that it was treated with HCl for several days and then boiled. So if it was cleaned and you claim that FeSO4 extracts only gold, then what else could have been extracted. As if you want to say that everything obtained is garbage. That's really not right.

PERSONS WITH LONG YEARS OF EXPERIENCE ALREADY KNOW WHAT COLORS GOLD IS WITH WHICH REDUCER AND AT WHAT ACIDITY.
Read my post again, I do not say Gold do not exist.
But you have not had an Assay and you have not tested it, there is no way of knowing if you have dissolved Gold or not.
And when you do not know that, you do not know if what you have is Gold.
By all means it can be, but we do not know.
There are a plethora of oxides and other natural minerals looking like Gold.

So again, what was your reasoning not to test it with Stannous?

Read my post again, I do not say Gold do not exist.
But you have not had an Assay and you have not tested it, there is no way of knowing if you have dissolved Gold or not.
And when you do not know that, you do not know if what you have is Gold.
By all means it can be, but we do not know.
There are a plethora of oxides and other natural minerals looking like Gold.

So again, what was your reasoning not to test it with Stannous?
I haven't worked with metals since early spring last year and it expired

Whew! I don't know how well that translates for either of you, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a little "translator" misinterpretation happening here, but I also think the nature of a forum can create ambiguity (that may be a hard one for translators) because we are not face to face with the other person. There is so much that we interpret when we see each other, and that is missing on a forum.

As I read these posts, I see Lola trying to get some help on their recovery/refining problem, but I also see Yggdrasil doing his job as a moderator trying to keep the forum as usable as possible.

We're all here working together. Refiners helping refiners.

Dave

Latest posts

Back