Reduction of gold from a mixed solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does not dissolve in hot water, it does not dissolve in HCl, it does not dissolve in HNO3, nor in AR. 15 minutes of cooking in AR and it didn't soluble. I assume it's rhodium. Is rhodium in this state ready for melting or does it need additional processing?

Attachments

• IMG_20160808_100042.jpg
    IMG_20160808_100042.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20160808_100022.jpg
    IMG_20160808_100022.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
It does not dissolve in hot water, it does not dissolve in HCl, it does not dissolve in HNO3, nor in AR. 15 minutes of cooking in AR and it didn't soluble. I assume it's rhodium. Is rhodium in this state ready for melting or does it need additional processing?
How did you obtain this?
Is it leftovers from the digestion or have you precipitated it?
More info is always good.

Precipitated in any case, but about a year ago. I used to wash in hot water, HCl. It didn't soluble so I left it. Now I washed it again in HCl, nitrogen and AR. It doesn't soluble.
I won't write now exactly how and with what I got it. I will repeat the way I think I did it, so I will write there in a few days.

Post has been edited silently by the OP

Last edited by a moderator:
Precipitated in any case, but about a year ago. I used to wash in hot water, HCl. It didn't melt so I left it. Now I washed it again in HCl, nitrogen and AR. It doesn't melt.
How did you precipitate it?

Try one crystal in hot Sulfuric acid, make sure you have all safety gear on and lot of room in the beaker.
Have you read LazerSteves recipe on testing for Rhodium?
You will find it here on the forum.

How did you precipitate it?

Try one crystal in hot Sulfuric acid, make sure you have all safety gear on and lot of room in the beaker.
Have you read LazerSteves recipe on testing for Rhodium?
You will find it here on the forum.
Please, if you don't have a problem, post a link from the rhodium testing topic. I'm not sure I'll manage to find him. When I repeat the same method and see if it is correct, I will write it here, but also test it, as you said, with sulfuric acid and in some other way from Lazer S..

Please, if you don't have a problem, post a link from the rhodium testing topic. I'm not sure I'll manage to find him. When I repeat the same method and see if it is correct, I will write it here, but also test it, as you said, with sulfuric acid and in some other way from Lazer S..
You are the one in need of help that is true,
but if you do not learn to use the forum you will always be helpless regarding all future issues.

As we say, it is better to learn someone to fish, than giving them the fish.

Do you want me to do your research as well?

Search the forum for Testing, Rhodium and LazerSteve as author, that should do it.

I do not have the link, so I have to do what you should do, to find it.
I read this thread many years ago.

You are the one in need of help that is true,
but if you do not learn to use the forum you will always be helpless regarding all future issues.

As we say, it is better to learn someone to fish, than giving them the fish.

Do you want me to do your research as well?

Search the forum for Testing, Rhodium and LazerSteve as author, that should do it.
Thank You

Searching the Forum sometimes seems like a daunting task. The key is learning to use the proper keywords. This is learned by experience, primarily. At least in my experience.

Yggdrasil gave you good advice on probable keywords for finding testing procedures by Lazersteve.

I remember reading at least a few threads on Rhodium testing several years ago. But, then, I do not always remember things the way I would like.

If, indeed, your material is Rhodium, I will then congratulate you on your work recovering it.

Time for more coffee.

I just had a combination of gold and presumably Pt foils for 24 Hr in hot, but weak AR, (10% HCl and a bit of HNO3) and the foils did not dissolve. I still think they are Pt. Not Rh.
You need hot concentrated strong AR to dissolve Pt as i experienced, so 15 min in AR might not have been enough.

Or it's indeed Rh.
That would be awesome. Good luck.

I just had a combination of gold and presumably Pt foils for 24 Hr in hot, but weak AR, (10% HCl and a bit of HNO3) and the foils did not dissolve. I still think they are Pt. Not Rh.
You need hot concentrated strong AR to dissolve Pt as i experienced, so 15 min in AR might not have been enough.

Or it's indeed Rh.
That would be awesome. Good luck.
This is precipitated from AR.

But not redissolving in it? that's strange. that sounds more like a salt than an element. Like silver chloride behaves that way.
Does the chlorine solution dissolve the metallic silver particles and whether silver chloride has such shiny particles as in the picture above. A little while ago, I cooked it at maximum temperature for 10 minutes in sulfuric acid with salt. Rhodium should show a red black solution. the color has not changed. nothing dissolved and it remained in concentrated sulfuric acid all night without a heat source.

Latest posts

Back