Reduction of gold from a mixed solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This came out of the AR from the clear solution filtered and precipitated. If you think I'm deliberately deceiving you ... you're wrong. From the first deposition, it is a stronger gray color with shiny particles. the more I expose it to acids, it glows but it doesn't soluble. Now I dried it after cooking in chlorine, but at a lower temperature. Now it is snow white. Pyrite from the AR solution cannot be recovered as pyrite.

There is only the possibility that the mica from the sand is really so invisible in the solution and that it passed through the filter and was later precipitated by the reductant as a disturbance at the beginning of the process. I don't know if this is possible at all.

This is that powder before washing in all possible acids. In this thick layer, it has this color.

I started writing nonsense. If the mica passed through the filter the first time, it would also pass the second time. She couldn't reduce it. This was in liquid solution. By adding a reductant or sulfamic acid, it comes out at the beginning of the reduction. In the second case, when obtaining powder with FeSO4 from a chlorine solution, I get a powder that I soluble after washing, and the white powder remains undissolved at the end. And I'm not sure that that white powder and this powder are the same.

I don't think so. I want to to spare you a possible ghost chase.

You really need to answer some questions. Like where did this material come from and more importantly: why are you expecting precious metals in it? If only from a visual observation, mica is a real possibility.

As said, mica contains aluminum ions and other stuff that may create insoluble salts.
Edited to say: which obviously formed only after the addittion of a selective precipitant to your solution. Was this solution tested with stannous before adding the precipitant?

To test and replicate this, one would have to test your exact procedure on known mica.
For this we need info. So try to answer all questions asked.
This three pages of repeating the same questions leads you nowhere.
looks like. I will have to take something and work from the beginning to know what I took from the ore, how much ore as well as the whole process of work and reagents. I will contact you when I get this.

How did you precipitate it?
With copperas as i understand. And he added urea and sulfamic.
Edited to say: sorry, that was answered. My mistake
But if he sticks to this:
I won't write now exactly how and with what I got it.
We can't really help. We'll keep guessing.
This will remain unanswered i am afraid:
You really need to answer some questions. Like where did this material come from and more importantly: why are you expecting precious metals in it?

Last edited:
With copperas as i understand. And he added urea and sulfamic.
Edited to say: sorry, that was answered. My mistake
But if he sticks to this:

We can't really help. We'll keep guessing.
This will remain unanswered i am afraid:
There were two pictures I was deleting from the new process that I didn't get answers to because I didn't use the tin test
then I put a picture of the old powder underneath, the one that shines and treated it with acid. I didn't get that powder from the new sand treatment. Is this substance not present in this sand or is it not reduced because I did not add sulfamine? But I am not sure if that glittering powder was precipitated by the addition of sulfamine or only after FeSO4. I do not use false statements. I haven't worked with it for a long time. I have old untreated powder. After all, it remains unclear to me how the sludge can be precipitated by this chemical process. Mica is not a metal.

There were two pictures I was deleting from the new process that I didn't get answers to because I didn't use the tin test
then I put a picture of the old powder underneath, the one that shines and treated it with acid. I didn't get that powder from the new sand treatment. Is this substance not present in this sand or is it not reduced because I did not add sulfamine? But I am not sure if that glittering powder was precipitated by the addition of sulfamine or only after FeSO4. I do not use false statements. I haven't worked with it for a long time. I have old untreated powder. After all, it remains unclear to me how the sludge can be precipitated by this chemical process. Mica is not a metal.
We do not delete posts or the pictures within, in this forum.
Period.
That is because it breaks the integrity of the threads.
And you need to be more specific with your chemicals since someone might pick the wrong one and that can go bad.
Sulfamic Acid not Sulfamine.
The powder you show in your pictures do not seem like metal either.
So unless you tell us your process and raw material in detail, there is not very much we can do for you.

Your process and material do not make much sense so there is obviously something we are missing.

If it can, another answer - which metal absorbs more KOH during reduction? Does KOH pull iron out of solution after reduction with iron?
KOH do not pull anything but it is a strong base so it will elevate the pH fast so if you are not careful it will create Hydroxides fast.
Hydroxides may hard to treat.

We do not delete posts or the pictures within, in this forum.
Period.
That is because it breaks the integrity of the threads.
And you need to be more specific with your chemicals since someone might pick the wrong one and that can go bad.
Sulfamic Acid not Sulfamine.
The powder you show in your pictures do not seem like metal either.
So unless you tell us your process and raw material in detail, there is not very much we can do for you.

Your process and material do not make much sense so there is obviously something we are missing.
What would a man say. I'm trying to explain everything, but it's like I've come to a disgruntled stepmother

Post has been edited silently by the OP

Last edited by a moderator:
As Martijn said, he is done and so will I be, unless you start helping yourself by providing some information.
It is like dragging syrup out of a bottle in freezing conditions.
I really don't know how I would help myself if I say on a world forum where the material I use as ore comes from.
Good night

Last edited:
What would a man say. I'm trying to explain everything, but it's like I've come to a disgruntled stepmother

Post has been edited silently by the OP
What little information we have has been dragged out of you,
you have not given much information freely and that is strange since you are the one asking for help.

Back