Reduction of gold from a mixed solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you precipitate it?

I extracted the powder from a chlorine solution with FeSO4. Later I soluble it to separate platinum, palladium and gold. There are pictures from old posts. When melting, a white undissolved powder remained. I took it thinking that she had exposed the rhodium to the action of sulfur and salt at high temperatures. In the video explanation, the liquid must turn red, the white powder must be obtained using KOH. I immediately had that white powder, but cleaner. I got these shiny particles when I used sulfamic acid when treating springs with AR (not chlorinated water). it would stand out with lead as it seems to me. The lead was apparently removed by washing in hot water and this remained. These particles shine like silver, platinum, rhodium in the metallic state. There is coarse powder under the fingers. It did not dissolve even in sulfur and was extracted from a completely clear filtered solution.

I didn't have anything to melt it with before, so I collected the powder.

Post has been edited silently by the OP

Last edited by a moderator:
I extracted the powder from a chlorine solution with FeSO4. Later I soluble it to separate platinum, palladium and gold. There are pictures from old posts. When melting, a white undissolved powder remained. I took it thinking that she had exposed the rhodium to the action of sulfur and salt at high temperatures. In the video explanation, the liquid must turn red, the white powder must be obtained using KOH. I immediately had that white powder, but cleaner. I got these shiny particles when I used sulfamic acid when treating springs with AR (not chlorinated water). it would stand out with lead as it seems to me. The lead was apparently removed by washing in hot water and this remained. These particles shine like silver, platinum, rhodium in the metallic state. There is coarse powder under the fingers. It did not dissolve even in sulfur and was extracted from a completely clear filtered solution.

I didn't have anything to melt it with before, so I collected the powder.
This do not make much sense to me.
You dissolved it and then after precipitating with Copperas (which will precipitate Gold and to some extensive Pd).

Then you melt it and obtain a non meltable unreactive powder.
It sounds like you have created some kind of Oxide.

How much raw material did you use and how much of this powder do you have?

This do not make much sense to me.
You dissolved it and then after precipitating with Copperas (which will precipitate Gold and to some extensive Pd).

Then you melt it and obtain a non meltable unreactive powder.
It sounds like you have created some kind of Oxide.

How much raw material did you use and how much of this powder do you have?

Since I collected the powder, it means that it is made from a little more raw material, but not too much. Powder one funnel. This is part. I will obviously have more because I also have the raw materials. It is interesting that it does not soluble. I'll try tonight in chlorinated water. Here it is after cooking in sulfur with salt, washed and dried and it looks like metal powder, not chloride.

Attachments

• VID_20160809_111919.mp4
    26.6 MB
Since I collected the powder, it means that it is made from a little more raw material, but not too much. Powder one funnel. This is part. I will obviously have more because I also have the raw materials. It is interesting that it does not soluble. I'll try tonight in chlorinated water. Here it is after cooking in sulfur with salt, washed and dried and it looks like metal powder, not chloride.
This looks like some kind of salt/oxide to me.
Again how much raw material did you use to get what amount of powder?

There is not much logic to this.

So I will try it this way:
How many grams of Ore/raw material was used to get how many grams of powder?

This looks like some kind of salt/oxide to me.
Again how much raw material did you use to get what amount of powder?

I have never taken more than 1 kg of sand for processing. I'm not sure this is a sand product. The oxides would have to be allowed to dissolve. I have to try that too and see where exactly that powder comes from. I've been trying for a long time to get results, but I can't get the pure metal out

That's what I wanted to write. Just a mica without sand, but it is impossible to do. This was dissolved and the clear solution filtered after exposure to acids.
So one Kg of sand and how much do your mystery material weigh?

I'm not sure if this powder from sand, but I've worked with sand a lot. I never measured exactly how much of which amount I was getting. I will do it by the end of this month. Now it's being boiled with chlorine and it doesn't seem to be dissolved by chlorine either

Trying to make sense of this whole thread, i think you indeed have mica flakes, also known as fools gold, along with pyrite.
This came out of the AR from the clear solution filtered and precipitated. If you think I'm deliberately deceiving you ... you're wrong. From the first deposition, it is a stronger gray color with shiny particles. the more I expose it to acids, it glows but it doesn't soluble. Now I dried it after cooking in chlorine, but at a lower temperature. Now it is snow white. Pyrite from the AR solution cannot be recovered as pyrite.

There is only the possibility that the mica from the sand is really so invisible in the solution and that it passed through the filter and was later precipitated by the reductant as a disturbance at the beginning of the process. I don't know if this is possible at all.

This is that powder before washing in all possible acids. In this thick layer, it has this color.

Post has been edited silently by the OP

Attachments

• IMG_20160808_092734.jpg
    IMG_20160808_092734.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if this powder from sand, but I've worked with sand a lot. I never measured exactly how much of which amount I was getting. I will do it by the end of this month. Now it's being boiled with chlorine and it doesn't seem to be dissolved by chlorine either
You still haven't told us how and where this material comes from. Did it come from panning material from a creek, left over from a mining/milling operation, what is it?

This came out of the AR from the clear solution filtered and precipitated. If you think I'm deliberately deceiving you ... you're wrong. From the first deposition, it is a stronger gray color with shiny particles. the more I expose it to acids, it glows but it doesn't soluble. Now I dried it after cooking in chlorine, but at a lower temperature. Now it is snow white. Pyrite from the AR solution cannot be recovered as pyrite.

There is only the possibility that the mica from the sand is really so invisible in the solution and that it passed through the filter and was later precipitated by the reductant as a disturbance at the beginning of the process. I don't know if this is possible at all.

This is that powder before washing in all possible acids. In this thick layer, it has this color.
Micas are composed predominately of Silica, Alumina, Potassium, and Iron oxides. Hope this helps with the chemistry.

You still haven't told us how and where this material comes from. Did it come from panning material from a creek, left over from a mining/milling operation, what is it?

I have sand from several areas . I also take the soil or expose it to the effect of chlorine water by boiling, then decant the liquid part or wash the soil in water as many times until there is no sand left and then process the sand.

I have sand from several areas . I also take the soil or expose it to the effect of chlorine water by boiling, then decant the liquid part or wash the soil in water as many times until there is no sand left and then process the sand.
You still haven't told us what the origin of the material is, and wether or not it was processed to a heavy concentrate, or anything about your original feedstock. I will not give an opinion about what it is, until I see a report from a lab which offers an ICP or AA analysis.

If you think I'm deliberately deceiving you ... you're wrong.
I don't think so. I want to to spare you a possible ghost chase.

You really need to answer some questions. Like where did this material come from and more importantly: why are you expecting precious metals in it? If only from a visual observation, mica is a real possibility.

As said, mica contains aluminum ions and other stuff that may create insoluble salts.
Edited to say: which obviously formed only after the addittion of a selective precipitant to your solution. Was this solution tested with stannous before adding the precipitant?

To test and replicate this, one would have to test your exact procedure on known mica.
For this we need info. So try to answer all questions asked.
This three pages of repeating the same questions leads you nowhere.

Back