Silver Chloride and Lead Sulphate mix

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50% means diluting full strength acid with the same volume of water.

It doesn't even need to be exact. it can be 40% - the point is that adding water often increases the effect of an acid over using it in its concentrated form, so yes 32% (by volume as supplied) then diluted with water is fine.

Jon,

Apologies it’s early here my brain is still waking up.

I see what you’re saying.

So the silver chloride is more soluble in a hot dilute hcl? I did not know that. Thank you very much - highly appreciated.

I will give this a go today.

Watch the colour of your gold as it comes to the boil. It will lighten up straight away.

Stannous test the HCl wash solution and if any gold has dissolved- which it can in some circumstances then collect the solution and either use it as the base for your next dissolve or drop it as normal.

In rare cases where you have a small amount of gold it can all dissolve but panic ye not. Just drop it again and repeat the process.

Thanks Jon.

I will place a small amount of silver chloride today in 100ml hcl and will add 100ml water and boil.

I will drop you a pm later with my results.

Have a lovely day. Thanks again Jon.

Understood.

So what is the best way to dissolve silver chloride but not gold?

Kindest,

Both ammoniac and thiosulphate dissolve silver chloride. Remember to make it alkaline. Hot HCl will not dissolve silver chloride, but very little. To dissolve gold and silver in thiosulphate, H2O2 is needed (carefully!)

Thank you Lino.

Will thiosulphate dissolve my gold too? Some studies are suggesting atmospheric oxygen intake is enough and others saying a strong oxidiser like peroxide needs to be added to achieve gold dissolution.

My gold will be in metallic form; I can already see quite a bit of my foils mixed in with silver chloride.

I’m going to test a small section of a 9k chain I have.

In terms of making it alkaline, I would add chlorine? Is bleach ok? I can purchase hypochlorite too at 15%.

I don’t want to use ammonia as I’m no where near experienced or professional enough to process the waste and prevent explosive reactions.

Sorry Lino, I just saw your comment re peroxide.

Yea that is what I gathered regarding metallic forms. But the study papers I was reading were vague and some even suggesting a simple water thiosulphate solution would dissolve it?

Jmk88 said:
Jon,

Apologies it’s early here my brain is still waking up.

I see what you’re saying.

So the silver chloride is more soluble in a hot dilute hcl? I did not know that. Thank you very much - highly appreciated.

I will give this a go today.

No, it is most soluble in concentrated HCL wherein it forms [AgCl2]-

Yes, thiosulfate (by itself or in alkaline media which it is alkaline salt) will dissolve gold and silver in the presence of an oxidant. By itself in anaerobic conditions it can only dissolve already oxidized silver (I), be it AgCl or otherwise.

Like everything in refining it is the context and needs of the situation.

Thank you Lou!

So I’m safe to remove my silver chloride from my gold foils with the thiosulphate essentially?

Will I need to raise the PH for this?

Do not use hypochlorite for alkalizing, even though it is alkaline. Use best ammoniac, add slowly to get a faint odor. Anmoniac is not dangerous in that range

Thank you Lino.

I can get that fairly easily and cheap. I have bundles of litmus too. I’m assuming a ph of 8-9 will be ok.

Jon, Lino and Lou, thank you for your time and advice.

As someone learning, the information I obtain here is beyond words.

I know I say it often but I can’t express how inspiring and encouraging it is.

Hello

Sorry for antoher question but i still dont know. I my gols solution is gold and silver. What is the best wy to remove silver
1 hot water-wash seevral timw
2 hcl -boil
something else

please help me

regards

Matija

kuli,
It is not easy to start to answer a question without knowing the details, or seeing what you have or what you have done previously.

Is this silver metal you wish to remove from gold or is it a salt of silver? If so which salt of silver do you have?

You have several questions spread around in different locations around the forum, keeping your questions in one post will help those trying to follow what you are doing or what you may be working on or with...

Without knowing details of what you have or what you have done, I cannot be of much help.

Without knowing details, If you can dissolve the gold into solution (without tin being involved), there normally is no reason to dissolve silver from the gold, the silver forms an insoluble chloride.

For anyone interested,

I have today dissolved silver chloride.

I placed some in sodium thiosulphate only, with water and heated.

I placed some in ammonia and thiosulphate.

My conclusion. I feel that the thiosulphate works perfectly on its own. I also placed a piece of gold filled jewellery in the thiosulphate only, the majority of chloride dissolved and so did the base of the gold jewellery.

I am currently running a second thiosulphate over what was left of this one and will post results tomorrow but it is 100% dissolving chloride. Not as quick as I thought but certainly doing so. I have used a 1:5 mix of thiosulphate to water.

I did not like the ammonia addition at all as I didn’t think it added value and creates an unworkable fume environment.

If you have metallic gold in with silver chloride, this is definitely the best way to separate that I have used.

Jmk88 said:
If you have metallic gold in with silver chloride, this is definitely the best way to separate that I have used.

And you are talking from your limited experience and assuming that your revelations are revolutionary on this forum.

Firstly your experience Is limited and secondly we all already KNOW Thiosulphate and what it can do, and in the processes used it's most often not applicable.

Let's see your gold.

27.11.2019.jpg

Hello

first pic[/b]. These is my silver in solution. I just wanna to ask you what is the best methode that I could remove silver from filter paper

28.11.2019.jpg

second pic is that i just filter the solution and i have some green-gray solution with golden pins. The best way to remove all that liquide.

recipie
150 g -cpu
put distiled water with muriatic-ratio 2:1
stay 1 week
filtration
and get some green-gray solution

My question what is the best way to remove silver from solution.An dyes I read book and i can found the best way:

PLEASE HELP ME
Kuli

Latest posts

Back