Silver Chloride and Lead Sulphate mix

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jon,

I do believe you advised me to do so in Dilute hcl; for avoidance of confrontation with you I didn’t argue and expressed gratitude for your efforts, despite knowing it was complete nonsense.

Ironic considering you accused me of misinformation.

I still didn’t run with it.

Here’s saturdays quarter ounce.

And yes Jon, based on experience that’s what I found. You know the old doing thing people do? This was also reinforced by people obviously a lot more knowledgable than yourself Jon.

It takes all of 5 minutes to learn hcl diluted doesn’t do the job. But I’m sure your intent was to be helpful as always.

Kindest Regards

Attachments

• BFC08946-DB7D-4565-AAE1-379A6C5BA9E8.jpeg
    BFC08946-DB7D-4565-AAE1-379A6C5BA9E8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 172
Jon, You reported about a problem you are having with us letting others speak to you in such a fashion, and that you have been banned in the past for how you interreacted with the other members.

Here you provoked Jmk88 and he responded in kind with a similar tone or action as your request, and now you want the moderators to step in and stand up for you, and do your fighting for you.

I do not find it entertaining to watch you start a schoolyard fight and then expect some moderator to stand in and fight for you.

Now as a moderator if I do nothing, You will assume that you can say whatever you like. On your collective head be it.

Jon, if you do not like the response why did you provoke the response?
Nobody wants to see you humiliate yourself like that with a new member.

Jmk88, Your response was also poking at the bear. and also on the line of breaking the forum guidelines.

Are you men so childish that you need a third party to step in and settle you two down? and remind both of you of what this forum is about?

anachronism said:
Jmk88 said:
If you have metallic gold in with silver chloride, this is definitely the best way to separate that I have used.

And you are talking from your limited experience and assuming that your revelations are revolutionary on this forum.

Firstly your experience Is limited and secondly we all already KNOW Thiosulphate and what it can do, and in the processes used it's most often not applicable.

Let's see your gold.

Jmk88 said:
Hi Jon,

I do believe you advised me to do so in Dilute HCl; for the avoidance of confrontation with you, I didn’t argue and expressed gratitude for your efforts, despite knowing it was complete nonsense.

Ironic considering you accused me of misinformation.

I still didn’t run with it.

Here’s Saturday's quarter ounce.

And yes Jon, based on experience that’s what I found. You know the old doing thing people do? This was also reinforced by people obviously a lot more knowledgable than yourself Jon.

It takes all of 5 minutes to learn HCl diluted doesn’t do the job. But I’m sure your intent was to be helpful as always.

Kindest Regards

Thanks Butcher. So kind of you.

I actually asked for something different if you had read what I really meant. Accusing me of running to teacher isn't good of you. I can fight my own battles but as usual you expect me to do so with one hand tied behind my back whilst you let others do as they please. The bias is as clear as day. One rule for me, another rule for everyone else. And now you publicly hang me out to dry just to prove my point. I hope that felt good, because it was actually quite despicable. Because what you've just done is validated the other person's actions and set a different bar for accepted forum behaviour whilst throwing me under a bus.

At least I know where I stand now.

Jon,

I do not set the bar for forum behavior, I just try to live up to the bar set before me, I try to follow the rules, and treat others with respect...

I did not misread this.

I treat others, including you, how I would expect to be treated.

I play no favors.

I did not validate any member's conduct or actions.

Jon, you are the only one that can throw yourself under that bus.

No this does not feel good, in fact It feels terrible, I do not understand why you keep pulling this kind of nonsense, it serves no good purpose.

Apologies I don’t know why I rise to it.

I’m responsible for me and it won’t happen again.

I guess it depends what you class as nonsense.

We obviously have very different opinions on that. I don't think that calling someone out for being downright rude or even reporting them for it is nonsense. You tell people to take things to private and to use the moderation system to deal with things like this and then lo and behold you splatter it all over the open forum. That's making a nonsense of the system. You're out of order for that Richard. How can I or anyone else trust the system now?

If I cock up, I'm the first to apologise- here and in public. Whether it be for wrong advice, or reading something the wrong way and having replied badly. My advice to this guy wasn't wrong, it was right. It was just a different slant on how someone else does it with the same end result yet it's alright for the guy to effectively tell me that I'm idiot. That's nonsense. It would never have been tolerated in the past, but because its only Jon, it's alright and fair game. That's nonsense.

You miss the point about the bar. You let something through that would not have been allowed previously and the bar shifts because anyone can just point at this thread and say "well he was allowed to say that in that way so how can you chastise me for it."

It's disappointing.

Yes I Have to agree with you my friend, It is disappointing.

(nonsense) is like when someone is pushing someone for a response in the manner as you did, and then when provoking the other member calling out foul play.

I don't think that calling someone out for being downright rude or even reporting them for it is nonsense.
Provoking that rudeness is wrong,

Am I wrong by wondering why anyone would have gold foils and silver chloride together? Unless you are using AR to dissolve base metals and pouring off the waste before you start to dissolve gold then maybe, but I would just dissolve it all and just filter the silver chloride our.

Is there some other way of creating silver chloride without a solution that dissolves gold? Like other than Nitric and chlorine?

Hello all,

Without wanting to be rude or anything, I guess this topic was taken to a subject totally different from the one I originally started.

After reading all the replies, I still can't understand how (if it is even possible) to recover the silver from my silver chloride+lead sulhpate filters.

If someone could point out a way, or maybe even point out an existing topic on how to process stored filters, I would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Winged

If you already have both in a filter, I would probably dissolve the silver chloride with ammonia. I believe that will leave the lead sulfate behind (test a small sample first). Filter to separate the silver bearing solution from the lead precipitate. Then promptly reacidify the solution with HCl to avoid creating an explosive surprise. The silver will reprecipitate as silver chloride again, but without the lead. Then treat the silver chloride by your method of choice. I prefer the dilute sulfuric acid and iron method Lou described.

Dave

Dave,

I too am having this issue as I process gold fill. As you know.

Having played around for a week with thiosulphate and ammonia, I’m not overly impressed at the outcome.

Someone has suggested to me to react some hydroxide with ammonia hydroxide on low heat. They have said to cover my beaker to contain gases similar to ar. I understand this will liberate ammonia which I’m guessing will dissolve the chloride?

I’m realising that without eliminating silver on gold fill, it’s close to impossible to expect efficient returns in terms of gold.

I am able to obtain very weak nitric, 20-30%. The only other option I can think of is concert all chloride to oxide with lye and dissolve the oxide in weak nitric.

Would either be worth me trying?

Kind Regards,

Diluted 68% by 50% nitric is only @34%, 20to 30 % nitric should be fine in my opinion, honestly when I do gold filled I just add nitric in doses to keep the reaction sort of calm. With the heat the water evaporates anyway

Edit for clarity

Thank you William.

I’m going to process 200 grams of 9ct gold fill (1/20).

Should be enough to gauge.

Although saying this, I checked my thiosulphate solution this afternoon and it’s definitely working, just not fast and you need to keep adding more water and thiosulphate.

There’s just too much silver content in the filled/rolled material to process with anything other than nitric.

In my opinion, it shouldn’t be treated any different to solid gold items.

I’m going to covert my remaining silver chloride to oxide tomorrow and leave in Nitric for a day. I am going to run it in borosilicate flasks and filter all fumes into another flask to reclaim. Then I’m going to process some new material and run the oxide I make tomorrow in what I collect.

In short, copper chloride really isn’t the best leach for gold filled. Although it does seem to remove everything else with no issue at all.

The attached is what I have from a kilo of 18k rolled gold. I have 7 grams but I can see almost 3 times that trapped in silver chlorides and no amount of AR will get to them.

I’ve wasted probably two litres of hcl to try and get them and probably 200grams of potassium nitrate and still can’t achieve.

I don’t like even being within 10 metres of AR when it’s working it’s magic so I think I have to accept defeat on the AP process with this material.

I wouldn’t waste my time with pins or pcbs at the cost they are in Europe so that’s my conclusion; withou nitric, it’s very labour intensive and not efficient.

Jmk88 said:
Thank you William.

I’m going to process 200 grams of 9ct gold fill (1/20).

Should be enough to gauge.

Although saying this, I checked my thiosulphate solution this afternoon and it’s definitely working, just not fast and you need to keep adding more water and thiosulphate.

There’s just too much silver content in the filled/rolled material to process with anything other than nitric.

In my opinion, it shouldn’t be treated any different to solid gold items.

I’m going to covert my remaining silver chloride to oxide tomorrow and leave in Nitric for a day. I am going to run it in borosilicate flasks and filter all fumes into another flask to reclaim. Then I’m going to process some new material and run the oxide I make tomorrow in what I collect.

You will just get a mix of silver nitrate and silver chloride by doing that. The silver chloride from whatever chloride anion you did not rinse out of the AgCl when converting.

Hi Lou,

How can I deal with the excessive silver chloride I have?

Can I wash the silver in water? Then oxidise and process in Nitric?

I have so much gold left in amongst it I don’t want to lose it.

What would be the best way of removing it? My mind came up with oxidising it and then dissolving in nitric?

Kindest Regards,

Latest posts

Back