some photos of Au powder/process

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropped and dried powder I made today. I find the colour quite nice.
DSCN2367.jpg

DSCN2368.jpg

The 56 gram button>>>
DSCN2379.jpg

DSCN2378.jpg

DSCN2377.jpg

DSCN2373.jpg

Great work glondor !

The pipe and crystalline structure reveal the high purity.

Thank you Samuel-A. I appreciate the compliment. This was one drop with SMB. I could make it better however it is not necessary for this project. I really want to try a second drop with Oxalic Acid. Time does not permit just yet. Maybe next time!!

samuel-a said:
[pyrolysis] essentially heating a material with no combustion (oxidation).

Though, i don't see the point for doing so with PM bearing scrap unless an inciniration is followed.
Carbon is known for its affinity to absorb PM's once dissolved...

Hi , how are tricks ?
Many thanks for the reply , now I think I get it! :mrgreen:
So would you maybe suggest another route would be to just crush and go straight to incineration ?
I'm taking an interest in this area as I have a few pounds of ram chips to process at some point in the future , and I would like to try to run these as efficiently as possible.
Thanks for the info!
All the best and kind regards ,
Chris

Incineration of crushed chips will produce combustion and smoke. Lot of values will go with that smoke. I think that heating them like Sucho did will greatly reduce amount of material which will be leached. You can incinerate after some kind of pyrolysis (not perfect explanation due to my english but hope you understand what I mean) and then leach. Much much less material for leach and less crap in filters.

Hi Patnor , many thanks for the reply!
You mentioned 'leaching' the material. With regards to refining ect. , I have only heard of this term used to describe the extraction of values from ore , so I should ask this just to be sure that my thinking is on the right track.
When you say leach , does this reffer to the AP or HCL/Chlorox process (after a run through nitric to eliminate base metals?) ?
Many thanks , and kind regards ,
Chris

kuma said:
When you say leach , does this reffer to the AP or HCL/Chlorox process (after a run through nitric to eliminate base metals?)
you shouldnt go from a nitric acid solution to a hcl solution or vise-verse without incinerating the material first, an AR solution will be formed and without knowing this before hand one can discard values in waste solutions.

Geo said:
kuma said:
When you say leach , does this reffer to the AP or HCL/Chlorox process (after a run through nitric to eliminate base metals?)
you shouldnt go from a nitric acid solution to a hcl solution or vise-verse without incinerating the material first, an AR solution will be formed and without knowing this before hand one can discard values in waste solutions.

Hi Geo , how are tricks?
Ah , O.K. , I had thought that a good wash and rinse after the nitric cycle (to rinse away any potential base metal contaminents aswell as the nitric residue) would have eliminated this issue.
I didn't mention this step in my post , is this not right?
Sorry , noob issues! :mrgreen:
Chris

you cant rinse acid from material with water. even a prolong boil in water will not rid material of acid. if you just warm till dry the acid turns into a salt and when you add water it turns back into the acid. you must incinerate to rid the material of residual acids whether its nitric or hcl.

Geo said:
you cant rinse acid from material with water. even a prolong boil in water will not rid material of acid. if you just warm till dry the acid turns into a salt and when you add water it turns back into the acid. you must incinerate to rid the material of residual acids whether its nitric or hcl.

Once again , thanks for the heads up , I don't know where I got that from then! :oops:
I'm going to stick with my reading for quiet some time before I try any of this!
Chris

Sucho said:
i was trying to refine copper in my experimental cell. you can see working conditions on PS displays. anode and cathode was a copper sheet
electrolyte composition - 30 g/l Cu 2+ and 220 g/l H2SO4 , anode - 5x8 cm , cathode 5x8 cm, A/C ratio 1 : 2, sealing tape was used on sharp cathode edges.

i want to achieve smooth copper deposit on cathodes and avoid fluffy deposit.experiment failed.there was a fluffy deposit on edges and smooth deposit in the middle of cathode.i will try to make it working

first picture - gold button , purity 988 , source - mainly gold plated pins, relays , transistors, etc.

Sucho, try nitric saturated with copper for the electrolyte, copper anode and stainless cathode. I also was getting the fluffy stuff, had some spent nitric saturated with copper so I tried it and so far has given the best results, nice solid deposits on the cathode.

Geo said:

So true. Whenever I inquart with silver and digest, no matter hooooow much I rinse the left over gold, as soon as the smallest bit of HCL is added to the gold for AR. Boom. A bunch of AgCl. I quit early on trying to completely rinse all the silver out. I give the gold a quick rinse and digest as in AR usual . The chloride stays nicely in the filters leaving behind a super clean solution.

Hi guys!

after a long time i add some photos of the button i made today

i think it is the prettiest button i have ever made

Attachments

• IMG-20121205-00049.jpg
    IMG-20121205-00049.jpg
    405.2 KB
  • IMG-20121206-00052.jpg
    IMG-20121206-00052.jpg
    425.8 KB
  • IMG-20121206-00054.jpg
    IMG-20121206-00054.jpg
    330.9 KB
  • IMG-20121206-00059.jpg
    IMG-20121206-00059.jpg
    395 KB
  • IMG-20121206-00060.jpg
    IMG-20121206-00060.jpg
    304.8 KB
Sucho

Very nice indeed !

Is this a porcelain crucible?
I just bought a few and wondered if they will hold up without cracking.

they will, but only in furnace.with torch it cracks very often

this one was totally full with gold powder before melting.i only add borax powder, bray it on whole inner surface with my finger, then i added gold powder and put it in 600 degrees furnace

the bad thing is those porcelain crucibles are only for one use.when melting is done, i put the whole crucible into cold water, then i crack it with simple hit

i do it this way, because that enormous heat affects porcelain crucible so much, that it is not worth to risk crack when you reuse it

That is nice!
Kevin i see i have an pm from you and i tried to answer your other one to, but for some reason i'm having pm problems. Want you to know i'm not ignoring you.

Latest posts

Back