Stannous chloride Colors?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is clipped from the JT Baker MSDS on Nitric acid. Cartridge type respirators don't cut it.

"Personal Respirators (NIOSH Approved):
If the exposure limit is exceeded, wear a supplied air, full-facepiece respirator, airlined hood, or full-facepiece
self-contained breathing apparatus. Nitric acid is an oxidizer and should not come in contact with cartridges and
canisters that contain oxidizable materials, such as activated charcoal. Canister-type respirators using sorbents
are ineffective."

http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~nanofab/chemicals/MSDS_Acid_NITRIC.pdf

q42k;

Thanks for the link.

Well now, that's just dandy. I wonder how many people here are using supplied-air resperators with nitric and AR?

Don

eeTHr said:
q42k;

Thanks for the link.

Well now, that's just dandy. I wonder how many people here are using supplied-air resperators with nitric and AR?

Don
Think fume hood.

Harold

Hello, I need a little help,

I have stannous chloride powder i purchased a while ago. What is the best way to mix it to have a good testing liquid.

H!I''m new to gold refining and to this gold forum and i just purchased a pound of gold filled of watch cases and i tried to melt down the half pound of iy into small pieces and soaked it into sulfuric acid (battery fluid acid )and sodium nitrate,and after one day of soaking it,the watch cases dissolves but it turns into like black mud and black sand,i did not see the gold at the bottom.can anyone tells me what was wrong,and can anyone help me please?
1)what can i do next?
2)how can i get the gold from it?
3)where can i buy a cheap nitric acid?

pricebreaker36 said:
HI!!!I'M NEW TO GOLD REFINING AND I JUST PURCHASED A POUND OF GOLD FILLED WATCH CASE AND I TRIED TO MELT DOWN THE HALF OF THE WATCH CASES INTO SMALL PIECES AND SOAKED IT TO SULFURIC ACID(BATTERY FLUID ACID ) AND SODIUM NITRATE,AND AFTER ONE DAY OF SOAKING IT,THE CASES DISSOLVES BUT IT TURNS INTO LIKE A BLACK MUD AND BLACK SAND ,I DID NOT SEE THE GOLD AT THE BOTTOM,CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS PLEASE? :cry: :cry: :cry:
1) WHAT WILL I DO NEXT?
2) HOW CAN I GET THE GOLD FROM THE DISSOLVED WATCH CASES?
3) WHERE CAN I BUY A CHEAP NITRIC ACID?

I think if you go back and edit your post to lose the ALL CAPS you may get some answers.
The answers are here to be found if you do some reading and use the search box.

Jim

pricebreaker36 said:
HI!!!I'M NEW TO GOLD REFINING AND I JUST PURCHASED A POUND OF GOLD FILLED WATCH CASE AND I TRIED TO MELT DOWN THE HALF OF THE WATCH CASES INTO SMALL PIECES AND SOAKED IT TO SULFURIC ACID(BATTERY FLUID ACID ) AND SODIUM NITRATE,AND AFTER ONE DAY OF SOAKING IT,THE CASES DISSOLVES BUT IT TURNS INTO LIKE A BLACK MUD AND BLACK SAND ,I DID NOT SEE THE GOLD AT THE BOTTOM,CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS PLEASE? :cry: :cry: :cry:
1) WHAT WILL I DO NEXT?
2) HOW CAN I GET THE GOLD FROM THE DISSOLVED WATCH CASES?
3) WHERE CAN I BUY A CHEAP NITRIC ACID?
It is in your best interest to edit your post, using both upper and lower case characters. It is considered shouting to post with upper case only, and is not received well. You will be chiefly ignored if you don't.

Harold

]

I think if you go back and edit your post to lose the ALL CAPS you may get some answers.
The answers are here to be found if you do some reading and use the search box.

Jim[/quote]
sorry about that,thanks

Harold_V said:
pricebreaker36 said:
HI!!!I'M NEW TO GOLD REFINING]
It is in your best interest to edit your post, using both upper and lower case characters. It is considered shouting to post with upper case only, and is not received well. You will be chiefly ignored if you don't.

Harold
thanks harold

pricebreaker36 said:
1)what can i do next?
2)how can i get the gold from it?
3)where can i buy a cheap nitric acid?

Next you should study the forum for a bit, and download a copy of Hoke's book.
Your gold won't go anywhere unless you trash it, just put it in a safe place.
There is plenty of info on processing gold filled on the forum.
Gold doesn't always look like gold so don't discard any powders because they don't look like gold.
Do you have stannous chloride to test for gold in solution? If not getting it is a priority.
Cheap nitric? Good luck. Basically shipping charges put it out of the cheap category, so if you can find a local source to avoid the hazmat shipping you should cut the cost down greatly.

Thanks for fixing the all caps. And don't forget about safety, your health is more important than gold.

Jim

stannous chloride does not ship well as the shelf life is limited. the popular formula to make it your self is to use 95% tin/ 5% antimony non acid core solder dissolved in hcl (muriatic acid). cut a couple of inches of solder off the roll and fashion it to fit in a small glass container that has a top. either roll it into a ball or cut into pieces and place in the container and add 20-30 ml's hcl and let all that will dissolve go into solution.after all the reaction has stopped, you can cap it tightly.WARNING : do not cap until all the bubbles have stopped. you can filter or just use it out of the container being sure not to suck up any solids from the bottom.

I sell pure tin powder on my webstore (link below) . You can make your own fresh stannous chloride using it and a little muriatic acid available from any hardware store.

Solder works but you end up with antimony in the bottom of your test solution. This does not occur with the tin powder. Another advantage of the tin powder is that it dissolves rapidly.

Once you receive/make your stannous chloride be sure to test it to make sure it is working. Make up a standard gold solution by dissolving a small foil of gold in a little HCl-Cl as seen in my videos.

Steve

Back