Stannous chloride Colors?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harold_V said:
eeTHr said:
In the forum handbook it lists stannous chloride test colors which are different than Hoke states.

The handbook says a platinum solution will show red, and Hoke says it will range from deep yellow to brown depending on strength.
In my years in the lab, I don't recall ever seeing a platinum reaction that was red. The best description I can offer is that it will look like coffee, but if there is precious little in solution, it can be yellow, ranging down through a deep dark brown as the solution is more concentrated.

The handbook has palladium as showing deep yellow to brown, and Hoke lists it as deep yellow at first then turning to blue-green.
Palladium is a bit of a chameleon. It can display all of those colors, and under very strange circumstances can be confused with a dilute gold solution. The big difference is it doesn't leave a purple stain on your spot plate (which I advise). If you have even a remote question about the presence of palladium, or if you have palladium in solution with gold and or platinum, it's wise to do a test with DMG, which is conclusive. Even traces of palladium will yield a bright canary yellow precipitate.

There's more to consider. If you have more than one metal in solution, it often pays to add a crystal of ferrous sulfate to the test drop you have placed in your spot plate (that's why I recommend a spot plate) to precipitate the gold. You can then test the solution for the presence of other elements of concern, using stannous chloride. Gold so precipitated will come down as a fine sheet of gold, or in minute particles that are anywhere from golden color to dark brown. The resulting tests are then much easier to read.

My advice to you is to obtain a grain or two of each of these metals and prepare standard solutions. If memory serves, Hoke provides guidelines. By doing so, you can witness the color reactions in person, so you can understand what you're seeing when you are testing an unknown solution. Testing is very important to achieving success.

Harold

I'm wondering where to get tin powder and what do you use to test( the test paper)

I buy tin in the form of fishing sinkers. They are available as an alternative to lead sinkers. Since tin is more expensive than lead, larger sinkers are usually still lead, but you can find the small "split shot" types in tin. Pewter is another source. Look for pewter items meant for food contact like mugs or dishes since they usually have the highest tin content.

Dave

What about a silver waste solution that initially tests baron, then when a few drops of hcl is added it tests positive for Pd and Pt with stannous? Also, theres no noticeable change when dmg is added except I'll sometimes see these tiny, tiny, tiny little green specks. I've been perplexed by this odd behavior when testing my solution. The stannous was made fresh a few days ago, as was the dmg solution.

Stannous red.
red-stannous.jpg

I need little help please experts answer me i am new in this community forum and my english is not well so please ignore my grammer..
I have gold dust my grand father was buy from africa then he came back to our home and refine this dust once in nitric acid the all dust was dissolve in nitric this process about 25 years ago then he will save the remaining dust in home.
Now i have this dust in 5 kilograms i reads many articles for refining methods i choose aqua regia so i get dust 50 grams and make solution of aqua regia with hydrochloric acid and some drops of nitic acid for dissolving the gold dust in solution now all dust was dissolve in 40 minutes round about.
After the all gold dust was dissolved i get of the sloution from heat then i filter this after the solution was filtered i add SMB sodium metabisulfite for percipitation gold the clour was change in brown after 24 hours the solution colour was dark gareen the colour was not clear and i see some white powder in the bottom i put this white powder in the filter paper then melt this then i melt it was the copper not gold i am very dishurt then i read articles then get the stannous chloride test i buy this then i test my aqua regia waste solution i see the colour comes brown then its turn into dark brown like black black i attach the test pictures now please help me about this i attach picture of testing with stannous chloride this is gold in solution or not if yes then how i recover this gold in this my waste soloution please help

I need little help please experts answer me i am new in this community forum and my english is not well so please ignore my grammer..
I have gold dust my grand father was buy from africa then he came back to our home and refine this dust once in nitric acid the all dust was dissolve in nitric this process about 25 years ago then he will save the remaining dust in home.
Now i have this dust in 5 kilograms i reads many articles for refining methods i choose aqua regia so i get dust 50 grams and make solution of aqua regia with hydrochloric acid and some drops of nitic acid for dissolving the gold dust in solution now all dust was dissolve in 40 minutes round about.
After the all gold dust was dissolved i get of the sloution from heat then i filter this after the solution was filtered i add SMB sodium metabisulfite for percipitation gold the clour was change in brown after 24 hours the solution colour was dark gareen the colour was not clear and i see some white powder in the bottom i put this white powder in the filter paper then melt this then i melt it was the copper not gold i am very dishurt then i read articles then get the stannous chloride test i buy this then i test my aqua regia waste solution i see the colour comes brown then its turn into dark brown like black black i attach the test pictures now please help me about this i attach picture of testing with stannous chloride this is gold in solution or not if yes then how i recover this gold in this my waste soloution
Welcome to us.

You started in the wrong end.
Study first then work when you understand.
My best suggestion will be to stow the chemicals and solution while you study.

Th colors of Stannous has been posted many times in the forum, anyway I can post it again.

Here is what you need to study:

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/
Here is the Stannous colors, from LazerSteve
1704993312751.png

Welcome to us.

You started in the wrong end.
Study first then work when you understand.
My best suggestion will be to stow the chemicals and solution while you study.

Th colors of Stannous has been posted many times in the forum, anyway I can post it again.

Here is what you need to study:

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/
Here is the Stannous colors, from LazerSteve
View attachment 61111
I dont understand the colours i send u a picture of test coloure please tell me what is this i dont understand this
First the colour was turn brown then its turn dark brown like black
IMG_7656.jpeg
IMG_7657.jpeg

I dont understand the colours i send u a picture of test coloure please tell me what is this i dont understand this
First the colour was turn brown then its turn dark brown like black
View attachment 61112
View attachment 61113
First of all, use paper or cotton buds, spoons or spot plates are hard to read.
So far I can not see anything hinting to positive for Gold.
Describe in detail what you have done so far, step by step.

First of all, use paper or cotton buds, spoons or spot plates are hard to read.
So far I can not see anything hinting to positive for Gold.
Describe in detail what you have done so far, step by step.
I refine dust for get gold in this after all process was done i add smb but gold was not drop the coppers only was dropped after this i check solution with stannous chlroide it give me this results now i dont understand in this solution is gold or not if not then what metal in it

I refine dust for get gold in this after all process was done i add smb but gold was not drop the coppers only was dropped after this i check solution with stannous chlroide it give me this results now i dont understand in this solution is gold or not if not then what metal in it
This is not a step by step description.

This is how you will do it.
Step 1.
Dissolved x grams of assumed Gold in Y ml HCl and z ml Nitric
All/most metal dissolved.
Step 2.
Destroyed excess Nitric with evaporation/Sulfamic acid

Now you do this list with what you actually did in what order.

Without detailed and correct knowledge on what you did we can not give meaningful advice.

This is not a step by step description.

This is how you will do it.
Step 1.
Dissolved x grams of assumed Gold in Y ml HCl and z ml Nitric
All/most metal dissolved.
Step 2.
Destroyed excess Nitric with evaporation/Sulfamic acid

Now you do this list with what you actually did in what order.

Without detailed and correct knowledge on what you did we can not give meaningful advice.
1 step
I dissolved 50 grams of dust with 300 ml hydrochloric acid and i put nitric first only 3 ml then the dissolving was stop i add more 3 ml nitric then more 3 ml after all dust was dissolved i boil this 10 mints my solution was in 150 ml then i add 100 ml more hydrochloric acid for destroy excess nitric acid then i boil 10 minutes then i check solution with add some gold dust then my solution was not dissolving my dust i used nitric little dose only for dissolving now my solution is ready for filtration.

Step 2
I destroy nitric acid with boiling and adding some more hydrochloric acid and i use only small doses total i think i use 17 ml of nitric acid.

Step 3
I filtered all solution then i put some spoons of sodium metabisulfite until i see white foam on surface now sodium is done after 24 hours my solution colour is dark gareen and i see white powder only in bottom i collect this white powder for melting after melt this i get only copper from solution not any percent of gold from solution. So i am very dishurt then

Step 4
After all this process i have now used solution i buy stannous chlroide for testing solution after i get this i make stannous solution then i test my solution in white spoon i drop only one drop of stannous chlroide the colour was change in brown and after one minutes its turn into dark brown like black.

Need help on this
Now my problem is i dont understand in this solution is gold or pladium or platinum what metal i have in this solution i also attach a picture of spoon the test colour and if i have any precious metal on my solution then how i recover this anyways this is second turn now i am confuse what metal in this solution how please help me in this one.
IMG_7656.jpegIMG_7657.jpeg

I can understand your English.

What worries me is the first statement you made. You said your father refined the dust once in nitric acid and all the dust dissolved. That is not a good sign. Gold does not dissolve in nitric acid alone. We see many scams out of Africa where people are told they are buying gold, but it is not really gold. That could be the case here.

Since you have nitric acid, I would suggest you try to repeat what your father did. Put a tiny amount of your dust in a test tube, add a few drops of distilled water, then a few drops of nitric acid. Tell us if it all dissolves.

Dave

I can understand your English.

What worries me is the first statement you made. You said your father refined the dust once in nitric acid and all the dust dissolved. That is not a good sign. Gold does not dissolve in nitric acid alone. We see many scams out of Africa where people are told they are buying gold, but it is not really gold. That could be the case here.

Since you have nitric acid, I would suggest you try to repeat what your father did. Put a tiny amount of your dust in a test tube, add a few drops of distilled water, then a few drops of nitric acid. Tell us if it all dissolves.

Dave
ea347463-79b2-4470-a73b-6a439da9415e.jpegI reapeat this nitric acid mthod also i put 100 ml of distilled water and 100 ml of nitric acid the dust was see like gold then i melt end of this i get again only copper but if i check direct dust in xrf the gold was show 40 to 60 percent then i put nitric acid all was gone then i choose aqua regia for get this now i am confusing in stannous test i attach a picture of dust and stannous test please tell me how i get precious metal from this please see the stannous test colour and tell me what is this and also check dust african dust
IMG_7656.jpegIMG_7657.jpeg
Edited by Moderator to move picture out from Frugal refiners quote

Last edited by a moderator:
1 step
I dissolved 50 grams of dust with 300 ml hydrochloric acid and i put nitric first only 3 ml then the dissolving was stop i add more 3 ml nitric then more 3 ml after all dust was dissolved i boil this 10 mints my solution was in 150 ml then i add 100 ml more hydrochloric acid for destroy excess nitric acid then i boil 10 minutes then i check solution with add some gold dust then my solution was not dissolving my dust i used nitric little dose only for dissolving now my solution is ready for filtration. You do not destroy Nitric by boiling in HCl, atually you should never boil a Gold bearing solution since the droplets escaping will bring Gold with it.

Step 2

I destroy nitric acid with boiling and adding some more hydrochloric acid and i use only small doses total i think i use 17 ml of nitric acid.
As I said Boiling in HCl will do nothing other than dilute it. What you need to do is to evaporate to a syrup and add HCl, if red fumes develop it has Nitric in it and you need to do it again. Or you can use Sulfamic acid in a hot solution.

Step 3

I filtered all solution then i put some spoons of sodium metabisulfite until i see white foam on surface now sodium is done after 24 hours my solution colour is dark gareen and i see white powder only in bottom i collect this white powder for melting after melt this i get only copper from solution not any percent of gold from solution. So i am very dishurt then. What was the Color before the SMB? And you need to add as much SMB as you expect to have Gold in solution.

Step 4

After all this process i have now used solution i buy stannous chlroide for testing solution after i get this i make stannous solution then i test my solution in white spoon i drop only one drop of stannous chlroide the colour was change in brown and after one minutes its turn into dark brown like black. After SMB there should not be much Gold left. Did you test before SMB?

Need help on this

Now my problem is i dont understand in this solution is gold or pladium or platinum what metal i have in this solution i also attach a picture of spoon the test colour and if i have any precious metal on my solution then how i recover this anyways this is second turn now i am confuse what metal in this solution how please help me in this one.
Set your stuff aside in a safe place and read the links I provided, stop posting these pictures, I told you how to test it.
Just to say it again, use paper strips or cotton buds, drip one drop of solution on the strip or cotton bud then drip one drop of stannous next but not on the previous drop and observe. If it is bright violet it is Gold, if the solution is concentrated it may look black but then dilute it and try again until you have a defined color.

View attachment 61115View attachment 61116
The pictures don't tell us much.
I will comment in the quote in Bold Red

I reapeat this nitric acid mthod also i put 100 ml of distilled water and 100 ml of nitric acid the dust was see like gold then i melt end of this i get again only copper but if i check direct dust in xrf the gold was show 40 to 60 percent then i put nitric acid all was gone then
I was afraid of that. If I understand you correctly, you put some of your dust into nitric acid and it all dissolved. If that is correct, I'm sorry to tell you that there is probably no gold there.

Dave

I was afraid of that. If I understand you correctly, you put some of your dust into nitric acid and it all dissolved. If that is correct, I'm sorry to tell you that there is probably no gold there.

Dave
But in xrf machines the gold was show in results and i make aqua regia the stannous test i dont understand what is this any possibility there was a pladdium in it??

View attachment 61119I reapeat this nitric acid mthod also i put 100 ml of distilled water and 100 ml of nitric acid the dust was see like gold then i melt end of this i get again only copper but if i check direct dust in xrf the gold was show 40 to 60 percent then i put nitric acid all was gone then i choose aqua regia for get this now i am confusing in stannous test i attach a picture of dust and stannous test please tell me how i get precious metal from this please see the stannous test colour and tell me what is this and also check dust african dust
View attachment 61117View attachment 61118
Edited by Moderator to move picture out from Frugal refiners quote
If it dissolves in Nitric it is not Gold, Nitric do NOT dissolve Gold by itself.

Okay sir thank you for your time i try again this process as same you say me then i send you the situation and proper testing also before adding smb thank uđź’•
If it dissolves completely in Nitric it is NOT Gold.
If there are some powder left it may be some Gold.
Filter it well and see if there is something black in the filter paper.

Back