Sulphuric Acid AP

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt I'll get told off for even suggesting this, but I have to wonder...

Would a very dilute version of this work to eat away epoxy? I don't mean anything fast, I mean really, really dilute, something we could let soak for a few days?

I know they use this in the lab to clean organic residues off of glassware, but I can't find any references to using it either in a weaker form or on more than trace amounts of such residues.

chlaurite said:
No doubt I'll get told off for even suggesting this, but I have to wonder...

Would a very dilute version of this work to eat away epoxy? I don't mean anything fast, I mean really, really dilute, something we could let soak for a few days?

I know they use this in the lab to clean organic residues off of glassware, but I can't find any references to using it either in a weaker form or on more than trace amounts of such residues.
Well we have discussed "wet ashing" before, where we decided as a group that this was not a process to promote due to the inherent dangers of working with hot sulfuric acid.
So you're not to far off in questioning this as an alternative. Just don't know how it will go over with the masses and how would the newbies react :?:
Would newbies actually learn what they are doing before they think they can do it :?:
Or do as they usually do and just jump in, and end up with another mess, or worse.

That's something we must keep in mind when discussing processes of any kind. 8)

Maybe this would be a point of view, both sides at least to some degree could agree with:

It is doubful, if there is a great chance for, that somebody, who is not in the condition or has the interest to learn the dynamic of the CuCl/CuCl2-process, has the experience or the attitude to use any highly exotherm sulfuric acid process with sufficient safeness and the ability to decide in which certain cases it might be the way of choice.

(said by someone who used even conc. sulfuric since the age of eleven, being glad he always has been somewhat lucky)

Morning All. As usual my lack of $ means i have too improvise, for fingers i use H3SO4 [battery acid] and table salt, Every 12hrs or so i pour off the liquid and aerate for 12hrs or so, then pour back in.

Two things happen, one the CuCl/CuCl2-process from aerating occurs, and two, if you mix the damp fingers around periodically you will increase their oxidation, and, im in no hurry, been 3 days an almost finished a 200g batch.

My 2 cents worth.

Deano

P.S. my laptop keyboard is poked so i am having to use the 'On-Screen Keyboard', so be gental 8)

Deano, is battery acid that much cheaper per gallon than HCl? I mean $6 for a gallon of HCl and probably about $0.50 of h202 you could start your ClCu reaction and keep reusing that for a while (assuming you keep it clean). Do the same aerating you are talking about, etc.

Hey Deano,

Good to hear from you again. I thought battery acid was sulfuric acid H2SO4. Do you guys living on the bottom of the world have a different type of battery?

By the way, I still laugh when I think of your replies to my last remarks about the bottom half (southern hemisphere) of the world.

Bert

In October, 2013, Marcel posted a message here that a chemist friend, using the pseudonym "Godzilla", had made a tutorial for use of sulfuric acid with hydrogen peroxide. He gave the address of the tutorial:
http://goldschrott.lefora.com/topic/19399780/03-Die-SchwefelsureAP?page=-1?page=-1#.UmQjsvl7J8E

Much comment followed. There is no evidence that any of these posters read the tutorial, which is accessible through http://translate.google.com . Certainly they did not try to repeat the simple experiment involving dilute reagents and 10 grams of plated pins.

Fraudulent imagery was posted. Photos that purported to be of a woman who had spilled acid on herself were in fact of a woman who had suffered a criminal attack. You can see how the acid was thrown in her face and flowed down her chest. This is how women are forced into prostitution in some countries. The accompanying condescending and derisive comments were inappropriate to say the least.

A video supposedly showed how sulfuric acid and peroxide cause instant combustion when spilled on a shirt. You don't get this effect when applying acid or acid/peroxide to untreated cloth. Try it. The cloth was pre-treated with an oxidant such as sodium chlorate. It is a magician's trick.

On February 2nd, 2014, GoldSilverPro posted the message below, in the "Brainstorming" thread. The part that struck me was the last line, where he says, "Someone really should play with this. Find the best mix."

In fact, I was well into my experiment when I read this, so I'll consider it to be serendipity. Beginning with the next message, I'll report my findings.

From links somewhere on this forum, I just watched 2 videos on using weak sulfuric (H2SO4) + hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) to dissolve copper and I am sold on it as a replacement for AP. I feel it can work safely. One I saw used straight 12% H2O2 and 37% sulfuric acid (battery acid) solution (he said, because of the foam, to use a container 10 times bigger than the solution volume). The reaction was vigorous and generated a lot of heat and foam. Another video used about the same mix but diluted it considerably. It worked, but slowly. Somewhere in the middle is maybe the right answer.

This is a weak piranha solution. The "real" piranha solution uses concentrated sulfuric (97%) - 3 parts, and 1 part of, say, 30% - 35%hydrogen peroxide. It's used for such things as super-cleaning glassware. If 50%, or higher, H2O2 were used, an explosion could occur (Wikipedia) when pouring the strong H2O2 into the 97% sulfuric. However, it seems that, if you use a dilute solution, these dangers fade away. Also, once you get it mixed, the dangers seem to fade.

Pros and cons of dilute H2SO4/ versus AP

Pros:

1 - Fumes are far, far less than AP or Nitric and I would bet it is a lot faster than with AP. The fizzing is bubbles. All bubbles are gases, coated with the solution from whence they came. These get into the air, burst, and fill the air with minute drops of H2SO4 solution. Weak sulfuric in the air will rust steel and, if it's strong enough, it will force you to vacate the area, pronto.

2 - You end up with a copper sulfate solution, which is a good copper compound to work with. For example, if you evaporate the solution, near boiling, until crystals barely start to form, allow the solution to cool, and then chill it, you can remove about 80% of the copper as cupric sulfate crystals. Then, you analyze the solution for sulfuric (easy) and, maybe for H2O2 (not too hard), add some chemicals, heat it up, and dissolve some more copper. I believe you could re-use the solution.
3 -

Cons:

I can't think of any, if it works well.

Someone really should play with this. Find the best mix. How fast? Etc, etc. Be safe.

OK, let's begin with risk analysis. There is a form of self-deception that says that if we don't think about a risk, it will not happen to us. It is a confusion of subjective reality with objective reality that is often seen in children. I trust that none of the forum members are subject to this delusion.

The matrix depicted below shows that risk has two components: effect or damage, and probability or likelihood. The effect of a systemic poison like cyanide is catastrophic; the effect of dilute acid, even mixed with dilute hydrogen peroxide, is marginal. That means it isn't life-threatening or immediately fatal.

The matrix allows us to compare dissimilar hazards, and on the other hand it enables us to see how a comparison of one type of hazard with another can be misleading or deceptive.Risk Matrix.jpg
RISK CAN BE MITIGATED. Take for example the very dangerous chemical reaction that occurs when oxygen is mixed with gasoline, and it is heated. Surely no responsible person would do such a thing. Probably I should not have written about it, because some impressionable new user will read about it and immediately go out and set himself on fire.

Cowardice is when you spend all your time inventing reasons not to do things for which there is manageable risk.

The risks of the internal combustion engine (gasoline + oxygen) have been completely mitigated, and that has made all the difference.

It is wise to remember the words of Herbert Spencer:

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
Explosion Risk

Definitions:

"Piranha Solution" is a specific mix of concentrated sulfuric acid with hydrogen peroxide at a concentration of at least 35%. There is no such thing at "dilute piranha solution."

"Peroxysulfuric Acid” is formed by the mixture of sulfuric acid and hydrogen peroxide. This acid can be diluted. Therefore when people say “dilute piranha”, they actually mean “dilute peroxysulfuric”.

There are two types of explosion risk: the risk of physical damage, and societal risk.

Societal risk is where you have a loud explosion and your neighbor calls 911. The police arrive, and in the words of Ricky Ricardo, "You got a lot of splaining to do."

A lot of refiners like to maintain a low profile, due to the value of materials and the danger of the reagents used. Nothing raises your profile like an explosion, so this could be a good and sufficient reason to abandon an activity, if the probability is any higher than "unlikely". In any case, one should have a story to tell "authorities" if they inquire.

As for physical damage, there is damage due to blast overpressure, heat, shrapnel, and the effect of corrosive or flamable materials that may be thrown by the blast.

If you read safety manuals on this subject, like Department of the Army Pamphlet 385–64, "Ammunition and Explosives Safety Standards", they are full of quantity/distance tables, where for a given quantity of explosive, a minimal distance to other structures in mandated. They also have information on structures, armor and barricades that might be of some value in setting up a lab. But the q/d tables are of no use for our purposes, as we have no information regarding the explosive power of the materials we are handling. So we need to fall back on common sense.

Assume the explosive blast, if there is one, will be no greater than a powerful firecracker, like an M-80, that is approximately the same size as the potentially explosive material. With this assumption it immediately becomes clear that the risk can be reduced by reducing the size of potentially explosive material handled at any one time.

We can also see that it is wise to avoid glass containers when possible, as they would provide shrapnel in the event of an explosion.

Explosions of piranha solution have been reported in Chemical and Engineering News, volume 33, number 32, page 3336 and volume 38, number 59, page 1960.

Dilute peroxysulfuric acid is not going to explode, but organic peroxides that it forms might. These are formed from solvents such as those containing ketones (e.g. acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, etc.). This risk is probably higher in the waste processing business than in the jewelry business.

Additionally hydrogen gas liberated by the digestion of metals like zinc and aluminum could cause an explosion.

Spillage:

If one starts with concentrated acid, it must be diluted by pouring it into a borosilicate glass (Pyrex) container containing water. Always add acid to water. This is an exothermic reaction, but if the acid is added in portions, temperature should not exceed 80 degrees Celsius. I check with an infrared thermometer. When the mixture is below 35 deg. C. it can be poured into a plastic container for temporary use. Be sure to label it.

Safety equipment includes an open bucket of water nearby, aborbent material, a large box of sodium bicarbonate or a bag of hydrated lime from the hardware store, and materials for spill containment and control—that could be as simple as a bag of kitty litter. Rubber boots, a rubber or vinyl apron or a rainsuit, gloves that can be removed easily, and something that will effectively protect your eyes are needed. The safety goggles or shield need to stay on when you are bent over, as to wipe up a spill.

The problem is the blue waste liquid containing copper sulfate. It still contains acid and peroxide. It might contain organic peroxides. If you put it in a plastic container it might react with something and heat up to a temperature that would breach the container. If you put it in glass, you have a shrapnel hazard. So either way, put the first container into a larger one for safety.

I had one spill during the experiment. I was trying to vacuum filter the copper sulfate solution, and it failed completely due to crystallization. In taking it apart, about 25 ml of the blue liquid spilled onto a counter, with a few drops hitting the floor.

A local dollar store had been selling wash cloths at 6 for $1, so I bought some as shop rags. I dampened several and set them around the work area, so when the spill occured, it was just a matter of grabbing a cloth in my gloved hand and wiping up the spill. The first cloth was thrown into a sink, and then the process was repeated until all visible spills were gone.

What followed next was instructive. A spray bottle of ammonium hydroxide was available—normally used to clean glassware—so I sprayed it around the spill area. It not only neutralized the remaining acid, but it also "developed" the latent copper sulfate that was not visible after the first cleanup. The traces of copper became highly visible when sprayed with ammonia.

Fumes:

I'll address this risk in a subsequent message.

The reactor I used is constructed in layers. At the center is a 2 quart (1.9 L.) wide-mouth Mason jar. This is made of borosilicate glass and has a screw top for which plastic lids are available. The lids may be used for storage, but not during the reaction. See photo #1.
1.jpgApparatus:
The Mason jar was put into a small Corningware dish for containment and insulation, and this assembly was then put into a large stainless steel stockpot which acts as a blast shield. The stockpot has inner dimensions 11" diameter by 9" tall. A bungee cord secures the lid. See photo #2.
R2.jpg
The space around the jar was filled with fiberglass insulation. The pot was placed on an induction heater. With the heater set to 90 degrees, the actual temperature of the jar contents were 62 to 67 degrees Celsius, once peak temperature was attained. See photo #3.
R3.jpg
A mantle consisting of a liner from a military parka was added to conserve heat and add a final layer of blast protection. The liner is made of synthetic materials that resist acid fumes. Due to the nature of the induction heater (it heats by magnetism), it can be placed right on top of the heater with no problems, as long as no metallic components like snaps are in contact. See photo #4.
4.jpg
Once the heater was operating, the stockpot produced some loud bumping noises. I examined the temperature of all components: none were close to boiling temperature. There was no condensation. I concluded that the noises were due to thermal warping of the sheet metal. After I added a shallow layer of sand to the base of the pot, under the Corningware, the noises stopped.

I'll mention some of the equipment used in the experiment. A section of a plastic coat hanger makes a good stirring rod (see photo #A1). The white bowl collects any acid that drips from the rod.

Cosmetic brushes (sold at drug stores) were useful for moving dry powder. The tiny bits of gold produced by this process were a problem. They stick to brushes, float on water, and fly through the air, propelled by static electricity. I found that a spray bottle containing alcohol was invaluable for collecting and moving these small pieces.

Incidentally, the heater is displaying 2 hours, 30 minutes on the timer, not 230 degrees.
A1.jpgAccessories:
Filtering was a problem, due to the thickness of the blue liquid. This was mostly dependent on temperature; adding more water didn't make much of a difference. Filtering through paper was impossible, even under vacuum. Filtering through fiberglass would have been an even bigger mess.

I finally decided to filter with a funnel I'd bought at a wine-making store. It has a detachable grate (see photo #A2) which let the liquid pass while catching anything larger than 2 or 3 millimeters.
Filter.jpg
This same funnel let me filter the solution through paper, after it had stood for a couple of days, and the suspended crystals had settled.

I developed a technique of filtering the warm liquid (about 60 degrees) into a cylindrical flower vase, and then when it cooled down, pouring it into a 4 liter plastic jug for temporary storage. I let the mud at the bottom of the vase build up, and treated it like precipitated gold powder. In fact, the peroxysulfuric acid does dissolve some of the gold, but as the peroxide is used up, it drops the gold back into the mud. If you have occasion to do this type of procedure, save up all the mud and process it once.

Attachments

• Mud.jpg
    Mud.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 390
Chemicals:

Only two chemicals are required for the process: dilute sulfuric acid, about the strength of battery acid, and hydrogen peroxide that is somewhat stronger than the 3% variety you see in food and drug stores. Here is what I paid:Chemical.jpg
The acid was concentrated; the H2O2 was 35%. The company I purchased from was a local storefront serving soap makers and other niche operations. There are many like this: check for suppliers for pottery, taxidermists and furriers, and any other industry or craft that requires chemicals.

No HAZMAT fee, but I did purchase the pails to hold the acid jugs for transport.

Procedure:

Now we get to the nitty gritty. I began with about 500 grams of low grade plated pins. These were pins from connectors with varying amounts of gold plating. Some had just a bit of color on one side of the pin. Added to the mix were the metallic contents of integrated chips, transistors etc. that had been incinerated and ground in a mortar. Also added were foils from fiber chips like Pentium 4's that had been incinerated and delaminated.

A trick with these fiber chips is, once you extract whatever foils are easily accessible, blend the remainder in a dedicated blender until the fabric turns into individual fibers. Then wash it in a gold pan. All the metallics will collect at the bottom, and the fibers will wash away.

If someone has information about transistors containing beryllium, I'd be interested in learning more in the interest of safety.

To begin with, I ran small batches, trying various concentrations. I used up to 50% sulfuric acid and up to 35% H2O2. It was not obvious at first, but after a while I began to notice that the main factor accelerating the reaction was heat, not chemical concentration.

There are a number of disadvantages in using concentrated reagents in this process. The heat is erratic. It produces vapor, which carries acid and peroxide into the atmosphere. Undesirable side reactions are more likely. If an equivalent effect can be achieved with a reduced concentration, but an increased temperature, then using higher concentrations is a waste of reagent.

Also the copper sulfate solution becomes too concentrated, and crystallizes. The photo below shows what that looks like.Need Water.jpg
After this preliminary experimentation I decided to put all the pins together and render them all down to gold and whatever else was acid resistant. The photo below shows the pins at this point. They weighed 431 grams, plus I added another 43 g. of foils, for a total of 474 g.Pins2.jpg
The procedure I used from this point was as follows:

1. Add the pins to the reactor.
2. Add 400 ml. of tap water.
3. Add 200 ml. of 32% sulfuric acid.
4. Add 100 ml of 12% hydrogen peroxide.

The mixture warms up and the reaction rate increases. After a few minutes, add up to 200 ml of 12% H2O2.

At all possible times, the mouth of the jar was covered by a doubled-up washcloth that was dampened with water. The reaction evolves a lot of gas and vapor, so the alternative is a condenser of some type.

At this time I put on the lid of the stockpot, covered it with the mantle, and let it cook for an hour with the heater set at 60 degrees. This produces an internal temperature of about 45 degrees.

After an hour, I added another 100 ml of 32% acid, and about 200 ml of 12% hydrogen peroxide. I set the heater to 90 degrees and let it cook for 3 hours. The internal temperature was around 65 degrees.

Then it was time to decant the flower vase into a plastic jug, and then pour the blue fluid from the reactor through the funnel and grate, into the vase.

Then repeat from step #1 above. It took four days to render the pins.

Here are some of the gold pieces that got through the grate and were recovered later. This is a macro photo. Everything you see here weighed 80 milligrams.

Attachments

• Fines2.jpg
    Fines2.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 365
Results:

I decided that a good endpoint for the experiment would be when there was no more visible copper, and the reaction liquid changed from blue to blue-green. This lets me save materials for another experiment in which I'll try Lou's suggestion of using warmed 70% sulfuric acid to remove remaining base metals.

The original 474 grams of material were reduced to 96 grams, or a 5:1 reduction. Out of the 96 grams, 21.46 grams passed through a fine sieve. A medium-resolution photo of this material is at the end of the next message.

In fact, while economically this experiment didn't make much sense, aesthetically it was quite pleasing to see the base metals melt away, leaving pure gold. Also distracting. If a pin is plated with 50 microinches of gold or less—sometimes much less—and the underlying metal is removed, what is left is the tinniest speck, and yet it glitters with all the beauty of a coin 10,000 times larger. You end up with these little specks all over the place. There's actually some advantage to that ugly black mud you get from the sulfuric deplating cell—you don't get distracted.

If someone needs a lot of little gold specks, this is a way to produce them.
specks2.jpgResults:
Including the gold recovered from mud and copper cell anode slimes, I estimate I'll eventually harvest about half a troy ounce from the original 500 grams of pins and foils. If I had paid myself minimum wage to do the work, I'd just about break even. The cost of reagents was very reasonable: I used about a liter of sulfuric ($6) and about 2 liters of hydrogen peroxide, which was almost certainly twice as much as I should have used, so let's say $4 worth of peroxide. Chemicals used to treat waste, such as hydrated lime, are dirt cheap. It was the cost in labor that made it uneconomic.

The process is appealing in its simplicity. You want gold? Just remove the base metals and there you are. No aqua regia or chlorine and no problems precipitating. All you'd need would be some method of separating the fine gold—an Archimedes wheel,
a miller's table, a blue bowl, etc.

Waste Treatment:

Plan 'A' for dealing with the blue liquid, which contains all base metals and not just copper sulfate, is to plate out the copper in a copper cell. We'll see how that goes. The copper has some value for sale.

Plan 'B' is to crystallize the copper sulfate and store it for future use. Then the remaining copper would be cemented on iron, the iron precipitated with aluminum, and the solution neutralized, mixed with absorbent, and thrown out with the garbage.

Claims:

I wanted to test two specific claims made by the original poster, Mr. Godzilla of Germany. First, he points out that the process avoids nitrous and chlorine gases, and that "Only a little sulfur dioxide arises, which is carried away by the water vapor. But this is harmful in the given concentration only for the bathroom fittings." The second claim is that the process is superior to hydrochloric acid / hydrogen peroxide, because that mixture produces perchloric acid, which dissolves gold, but there is no corresponding phenomenon when sulfuric and hydrogen peroxide are mixed.

Fumes:

When hydrogen peroxide is added, there is considerable foaming. So what exactly is in the gas? Since it derives from hydrogen peroxide, it could be oxygen. It could be hydrogen. Godzilla suggests it is sulfur dioxide and water vapor. How about hydrogen peroxide vapor? H2O2 boils at 150 degrees, but as GoldSilverPro pointed out in the message I quoted, the bubbles carry "the solution from whence they came." This means they carry hydrogen peroxide, sulfuric acid, and peroxysulfuric acid.

I can tell you from experience that the fumes are acrid and acidic. My vote would be for sulfuric acid in those fumes. A four inch hole was eaten in the center of the first washcloth used to block fumes from the reactor (see photo). A second washcloth used for the diluted reagents is still intact, despite much use. Therefore while I think Godzilla's identification of the gas may have been incorrect, he was correct in saying that the effect of the gas is less that of nitrogen dioxide or chlorine, when dilute reagents are used. However it is still hazardous.
Wash cloth.jpg
How much do you need to breathe before your lungs look like this cloth? There was no odor noticeable while the reactor was closed, but anytime it was open it was emitting gases and vapor. I'd say you need a fume hood, but you probably can do without a scrubber. Remember this acid is very destructive of human tissue, and the only margin for error you have is what you make for yourself.

Regarding claim #2, we know that peroxysulfuric acid dissolves gold, because that's how the sulphuric gold cell deplates things. What is the extent of the loss, and is it significant?

Due to the nature of this experiment there was a lot of visible gold mixed in with all of the sediment. We want to measure only the gold that was dissolved and then precipitated. This would require more controlled conditions, where a known quantity of gold is exposed to specific amounts of sulfuric acid and hydrogen peroxide.

What we can say so far is that gold is lost in two ways. First, micron sized gold is produced that gets by the filtering process. Second, gold is dissolved. Much of that is quickly redeposited. We don't know how much loss is to be expected.

Conclusions:

I did this experiment to develop some information about the sulfuric-peroxide process for removing base metals, which could be verified and was not based on extrapolations from Wikipedia. Initially, I was interested in the way that this is a complimentary process to that of the sulfuric deplating cell. One removes base metals from gold; the other removes gold from base metals. I thought there might be some synergy in using both processes. Unfortunately, I have found no way to do that.

I did harvest some knowledge however, and I'll present it here in no special order.

What is the risk of explosion? I think that given two conditions, the probability of explosion can be classified as "unlikely":

• 1. The reagents must be diluted as I have described in the section on "Procedure".
    2. All materials and reagents must be free of organic solvents such as acetone.
So it depends on the vigilance of the operator. If you get sloppy, the risk goes up. I'll continue to use the stockpot if I use this process, because it is efficient and it reduces exposure. Reduce exposure, reduce risk.

Is a fume hood necessary? Yes.

Can the process be scaled up? It requires a glass reaction vessel. To process more material at a time would require a large vessel, like some of the large "kettles" that are available. As the amount of reagent increases, the effect of an explosion becomes much more serious. If you refer to the Risk Matrix diagram, you'll see that even an unlikely hazard can be an unacceptable risk if the potential effect is severe enough. To counter the increased risk you would need something similar to the very expensive Pfaudler glass-lined steel reactors.

On the other hand, there is no reason why you should not run several small reactors at once. The investment would be very modest.

Why use it at all, when one can remove base metals with nitric acid or with warm 70% sulfuric?

Nitric acid produces fumes that require a fume hood with a scrubber. Some of the by-products of nitric acid are explosive. It is harder to get. It is more expensive and needs to be used in a higher concentration. Nitrosamines created by the combination of nitric acid or nitrates and proteins are carcinogenic. That includes the proteins in your skin. If there is any chlorine in the system, nitric acid plus the chlorine (chloride, chlorate, etc.) dissolves gold.

Sulfuric acid (alone) as a means to remove base metals is not well documented—at least not here, in the Gold Refining Forum. To anyone who proposes using only sulfuric without peroxide I say, "Show me your data!" We need a side-by-side comparison of both processes.

Is anyone suggesting that warm (let's say, 60 degrees C.) 70% sulfuric is not dangerous? I think it is quite a bit more dangerous than the dilute acid used in this experiment, and it doesn't lose its potency with time, as the peroxide mix does.

Dilute sulfuric acid-peroxide has been demonstrated to be effective in removing base metals. It is the lowest cost process for doing this, if only cost of reagents are considered (there is also cost of labor, energy, and cost of dealing with waste materials). Regarding waste, it produces copper sulfate, which is useful and has economic value. What other metals are in the waste depends upon the source of the materials.

Why remove base metals, when I can simply deplate gold?

You may not be working with plated material. Maybe it is brazed, maybe it is ore, maybe it is an alloy, as in jewelry. Generally, the sulfuric acid-hydrogen peroxide is unsuitable in situations where the amount of base metal is high in relation to the amount of gold—in other words, low grade material.

It looked to me like silver was removed from the gold, but what I assume was silver was left as a light-gray silt. This needs to be determined by workers with assay equipment.
Powder2.jpg
This method may be unsuitable for iterative procedures. For example, if you treat with heated acid-peroxide and then drain, you might lose 1% of your gold values to dissolution in peroxysulfuric acid. Maybe the waste solution is blue, indicating there is more copper to be eluted. So after draining you repeat the process (i.e. you do another iteration). Now you lose 1% of the remaining gold. Each time you lose 1% of what remains.

If you retain all the drained liquid and run it through a copper plating cell, you'll eventually retrieve your gold in the anode slimes. In fact, much of it will probably precipitate as the peroxide loses potency. Perhaps a reducing agent could force precipitation.

An interesting application, which needs further investigation, concerns gold that is recovered by cementing on steel wool or some other base metal. Sulfuric-peroxide might be an efficient way of getting at that gold.

Results:

Below, as promised in the previous message, is a medium-resolution photo of the 21.5 g. that passed through a sieve after the pins were rendered. I stopped when the waste solution was becoming predominantly green. Not surprisingly, some of this material was attracted by a magnet.

Attachments

• Fines.jpg
    Fines.jpg
    630.1 KB · Views: 335
4 days for pins seems not to be much faster than a good working AP under optimal conditions.

No doubt, safely premixed and the more diluted it is, the less aggressive it is, but also slower.

I can see two situations, when to use sulfuric instead of CuCl2-leach: you want sulfates for whatever reason or you can get sulfuric cheaper than HCl.

Recycling the H2SO4 is more work, but you do not need to buy new acid all the time compared to CuCl2.

Medium strength (30%acid/12%) is still something for more experienced hands, - the amounts of reactants used in recovery stage are quite larger than under refining, which makes them more hazardous. I would compare it to AR, also a nasty stuff, if you make a mistake, but 50ml AR is less dangerous than 500ml.

So, in your hazard's table you need to have a look at the amounts of hazardous material, too. This alone can make the difference between "marginal" and "catastrophic" and more advanced tables of hazards take this into consideration and calculation.

You do a lot work to examine this process, which I appreciate. But having experimented with it myself I believe to read two things between the lines:
1) you are trying to find arguments for using this process, which might cost some objectivity (is ok, just be aware of this yourself)
2) say what you want, but you have been surprised how violent this reaction actually can be

solar_plasma said:
So, in your hazard's table you need to have a look at the amounts of hazardous material, too. This alone can make the difference between "marginal" and "catastrophic" and more advanced tables of hazards take this into consideration and calculation.
This is a good point. The waste needs to be processed quickly. Not good to store it.

You do a lot work to examine this process, which I appreciate. But having experimented with it myself I believe to read two things between the lines:
1) you are trying to find arguments for using this process, which might cost some objectivity (is ok, just be aware of this yourself)
Of course. I was looking for reasons both pro and con. For example, it is obviously not useful for processing low grade material, with the possible exception of a scrap operation where everything in incinerated, and then the scale would lead to other problems.

2) say what you want, but you have been surprised how violent this reaction actually can be
I wasn't surprised by that. The sulfuric acid in the vapor was not unexpected, but the effect was stronger than anticipated. In general it is best to use technique that produces as little vapor as possible, unless a reflux is used.

I speculated that a Blue Bowl would consolidate the fine pieces of gold from this experiment. This weekend I had the opportunity to try it out.

A blue bowl separates similar-sized particles by specific gravity. The water current carries off the lighter material first, leaving gold and other heavies behind. At least, that's how it's supposed to work. When I tried it, the first to be carried away was the gold. Oops! The gold is deplated, so it is in thin flakes, and the effect of the current is to sweep it away like a leaf dropped in a river.

So it looks like chemical refinement is the way to go. It's a bit like refining foils from computer connector fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back