Sulphuric Acid AP

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting process thanks for the education on the subject!

Jewelers in my part of the world have told me that they only use sulfuric acid for eliminating base metals from gold scrap materials they generate.
I have a small question about how zinc reacts with this formulation if anyone knows.

If I dissolve zinc in sulfuric acid we're making (Zn + H2SO4 ) resulting in ZnSO4 + H2.
Hydrogen is replaced by Zn and we get less H2 in our H2SO4 producing hydrogen gas + heat. Correct?

Peroxymonosulfuric acid, (H2SO5) "seems" safer in this case as water is the byproduct.
H2SO5 + Zn --> ZnSO4 + H2O
Drop the zinc and we are left with SO4 + water.

Is there a risk of the solution becoming unstable during this reaction?
I've never played with this myself but looks promising.

could you not filter out the gold foils directly from the blue bowl overflow hole ???

never used a blue bowl (just a thought)

Nothing safe about peroxysulfuric acid.

The hydrogen disperses rapidly. Care needs to be taken to check the environment for sources of ignition.

Lou

I'm locking this thread. Piranha solution is one of several very dangerous methods that will, as far as I'm concerned, be banned from discussion on this forum. Wet ashing is another one. Cyanide process discussions will be banned also, although I have been the most guilty in posting them in the past. And then there's mercury. Except for cyanide, all of those things have better alternatives. I avoid unsafe conditions like the plague (it's my first priority when designing a refinery). It's STUPID to use them.

Anything else that should be banned? PM me, if so.

Alchemy, too, of course. Here again, because it's just plain STUPID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back