The Best of Ebay

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No more insults from either of you or one or both of you will be leaving!!!

Sorry about that,could have sworn that was directed straight at me.
I can see how you could think that, but I swear, it was not. Looking back, I should have phrased it differently.

No disrept intented to you. My apologies. I repect the intent and the information on here and have used it extensively. The vast majority of the members here have provided very vital and informative information. My point was only....if I want to ask a question and it seems stupid, I should not have to be ridiculled for it. We all started somewhere. Again I apoligize to the forum and to Kalay.

I can see how you could think that, but I swear, it was not.
ok.
Just so you are aware I am waiting for the dimensions from the seller.When I get them I will give them to you and you can do your calculations and hopefully figure out exactly what that stuff is.

Again I apoligize to the forum and to Kalay.
Same here.I simply did not want the thread muddied up with our bickering.
Calg and I have exchanged PM's since this post and I think we are cool now.

Yes we are cool. Hope we have a long friendly relationship. BTW your comments and informative advise is appreciated. Everday we learn something.

No disrept intented to you. My apologies. I repect the intent and the information on here and have used it extensively. The vast majority of the members here have provided very vital and informative information. My point was only....if I want to ask a question and it seems stupid, I should not have to be ridiculled for it. We all started somewhere. Again I apoligize to the forum and to Kalay.

Same here.I simply did not want the thread muddied up with our bickering.
Calg and I have exchanged PM's since this post and I think we are cool now.

Excellent! Now we can get back to business.

Measurements given by the seller are 4 1/4" tall by 4 1/8" wide. I gave a link for this thread to the ebay guy offering the slug for sale.

Best
G

Measurements given by the seller are 4 1/4" tall by 4 1/8" wide. I gave a link for this thread to the ebay guy offering the slug for sale.

Thank you, Gill.

Well, a perfect cylinder with those dimensions would have a volume of about 930 cc. With a weight of 2020 grams (4 lbs, 7.2 oz), the density would be 2020/930 = 2.17. However, this isn't a perfect cylinder, as can be seen in the EBay photos. A big chunk is missing, there are some grooves, and it doesn't look like the diameter is uniform. If the actual volume is 90% of 930, the density would be about 2.41. If 85%, the density would be 2.55. If 95%, it would be 2.28.

Here's a list of the elements, in the order of their densities:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_elements_by_density

Assuming the dimensions given are correct, I would guess that the density is somewhere between 2.28 and 2.55.

Maybe it's an Al/Mg alloy. Maybe it isn't. I would doubt that it contains Pd, Ag, or even Ti, except is small quuantities. What does the forum think it might be? BTW, I just noticed that the guy added more information to his listing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Help-Me-Identify-My-Metal-Palladium-Silver-Titanium-LB-/310218505105?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Coins_Bullion&hash=item483a76bb91

My first thought was that it might be a silicon boule (crystal drawn from a melt). The form, color and now even density is correct (2.3296). Another clue is that the seller describes it as brittle like glass.

I'm going to look for a picture on the net...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Silicon_seed_crystal_puller_rod.jpg

Look at the end of it and compare it to the eBay auction... I rest my case!

:-D

/Göran

g_axelsson said:
My first thought was that it might be a silicon boule (crystal drawn from a melt). The form, color and now even density is correct (2.3296). Another clue is that the seller describes it as brittle like glass.

I'm going to look for a picture on the net...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Silicon_seed_crystal_puller_rod.jpg

Look at the end of it and compare it to the eBay auction... I rest my case!

:-D

/Göran

Indium alloy maybe? But based on the link given to us by GS Pro not likely. I know its super brittle(like glass) when alloyed with gold. Learned that with my blue gold experiment. Didnt work out so well. :roll: Anyway I think the seller is gonna send me a sample. Hopefully it will be enough to run a few different tests.

Measure the electrical resistance... metals are very good conductors. Silicon is a semiconductor.
If a metal then the resistance should be lower than a few ohms while a piece of silicon have a resistance of kilo ohm.

I use this trick to roughly sort small black dots in rock samples.
Extremely low resistance - metals or graphite, low resistance - sulphides, high resistance - oxides, isolator - silicates.

/Göran

goldsilverpro said:

Thank you, Gill.
Your welcome Chris

goldsilverpro said:
Well, a perfect cylinder with those dimensions would have a volume of about 930 cc. With a weight of 2020 grams (4 lbs, 7.2 oz), the density would be 2020/930 = 2.17. However, this isn't a perfect cylinder, as can be seen in the EBay photos. A big chunk is missing, there are some grooves, and it doesn't look like the diameter is uniform. If the actual volume is 90% of 930, the density would be about 2.41. If 85%, the density would be 2.55. If 95%, it would be 2.28.

Here's a list of the elements, in the order of their densities:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_elements_by_density

Assuming the dimensions given are correct, I would guess that the density is somewhere between 2.28 and 2.55.

Maybe it's an Al/Mg alloy. Maybe it isn't. I would doubt that it contains Pd, Ag, or even Ti, except is small quantities. What does the forum think it might be?

goldsilverpro said:
BTW, I just noticed that the guy added more information to his listing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Help-Me-Identify-My-Metal-Palladium-Silver-Titanium-LB-/310218505105?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Coins_Bullion&hash=item483a76bb91

I really don't think he wants to sell the auction, listed it high to discourage bids, what he is seeking is the knowledge of what the chunk is made from. The $64.00 question the majority of our new members ask in respect to their recent treasure finds.

I gave the ebayer a link to this thread and would expect that we're going to have a new member in the near future.

Best
G

I'm sort of liking this idea for the same reasons. If it is this, it is probably a reject, since it is so misshapen.

I will go back to goldenchilds first auction - dental scrap. I just noticed that seller sold already 538g of that stuff all to the same buyer in 6 auctions for 561$. That is no doubt precious metal for seller. And over 1.2kg to other buyers.

patnor1011 said:
I will go back to goldenchilds first auction - dental scrap. I just noticed that seller sold already 538g of that stuff all to the same buyer in 6 auctions for 561$. That is no doubt precious metal for seller. And over 1.2kg to other buyers.

So you think its legit? Im tempted to get some but not for the high prices its selling for.

It is definitely the same material that was poured into a lost cast mold,though I doubt very much that it from the dental industry.One of my customers is a dental lab tech,and I've been there many times as he makes the various dental parts,and the first thing I want to say is,he makes them one at a time,and the wastes are as little as possible.These appear to have been used to make several at a time.Also If he had this much waste,I would be picking up material about once a week,instead of once every 3 or 4 months.

Back