The Best of Ebay

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone checked this sellers latest dental scrap auctions.

To me the photos looks to be doctored to a strange golden color, scale and all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCRAP-GOLD-PLATINUM-DENTAL-METAL-84-5-GRAMS-/300427423096?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Coins_Bullion&hash=item45f2dead78

How many here believe this scrap contains PMs?

To my eye I'd say no but I have only handled the finished teeth after polishing.

Does raw dental casting scrap look so oxidized? even the cut ends?

goldenchild said:
I have been informed by a forum member who won some of the stuff in the first auction that it is chrome and nickel. This member had it xray spec'd. Funny how in the description chrome is listed as one of the 4 metals that may or may not be in this material even though the seller doesnt know what its made of. I would of never even thought of chrome being a metal that may be possibly in this material. I am going to inform the seller and see if he/she does the right thing.

no such luck, hes still at it..even bored enough to mold the stuff into cute little figures.... and apparently hes been getting some not-so-happy buyers ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260600912185
No reserve 27.4 grams of precious scrap metal dental. i do not know the percentage of any scrap dental metal that consist of gold? palladium? platinum? and chrome. what you see in the photo is what you get . please don"t bid if you don"t know what you are bidding on. i only ship in the U.S.A.. thanks for looking sold as is no refunds or exchanges.

uh...yeah, i shoulda checked the end of this thread to see if it was still being discussed....ill sit down now and pay attention...

Isn't it odd that he doesn't know what he is selling, but asks you not to bid if you don't know what you are bidding on?

How can you know what you are bidding on if he has the material in his hands and can't give you an accurate detailed description of what he has or any history on it? He doesn't even know what you are bidding on, by his own admission!

Sounds way too fishy to me.

Steve

Well he obviously gets enough of this material that he knows what it is.If he came across 1 or 2 pieces at a yard sale then I could understand him not knowing what it is,but this appears to be something that he may do as a hobby(something like lost wax casting)and the material may simply be aluminum,zinc,or lead,brass,bronze,etc.etc....
And he obviously is hoping that someone will simply assume that what he is saying is true,and by putting in the disclosure he can get away with it.

lazersteve said:
Isn't it odd that he doesn't know what he is selling, but asks you not to bid if you don't know what you are bidding on?

How can you know what you are bidding on if he has the material in his hands and can't give you an accurate detailed description of what he has or any history on it? He doesn't even know what you are bidding on, by his own admission!

Sounds way too fishy to me.

Steve

I thought I was the only one that found that "disclaimer" screwy. This is what I said in the very first post on this thread :p

Well I found some more info.This seller bought these from this seller venusmars and here is one of the auctions
http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300413911878
Now what is amazing is that venusmars,got an incredible amount of money for almost every one of the auctions he/she sold of this stuff,and the description was worse than how this seller is describing.

This guy is selling a PDF file on his CD that he got from the gold forum recovers. Read the blurb.

HOW-TO-RECOVER-SCRAP-GOLD-PLATINUM-SILVER-RHODIUM,

Wondering if he has included any current copyrighted material. http://preview.tinyurl.com/2ejzw9a

jimdoc said:
Here is a weird one;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Help-Me-Identify-My-Metal-Palladium-Silver-Titanium-LB-/310218505105?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Coins_Bullion&hash=item483a76bb91

Jim

This was relisted as silicon

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280504190408#ht_719wt_694

kalay said:
Well I found some more info.This seller bought these from this seller venusmars and here is one of the auctions
http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300413911878
Now what is amazing is that venusmars,got an incredible amount of money for almost every one of the auctions he/she sold of this stuff,and the description was worse than how this seller is describing.

This is quite sad. The worst part of all these sales is that they are starting at .99 cents so its not like the seller is implying that they are worth much to begin with.

But... if youve been folowing this thread... I got the sample today! The seller of our unknown material seems to have figured it out and has relisted here http://cgi.ebay.com/Raw-Silicon-Microcrystal-Block-Solar-Panel-Ingot-4-LB-/280504190408?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Coins_Bullion&hash=item414f5a45c8 but I still have an interesting story to tell you guys.

After getting the sample today I had to leave shortly after to go to a card game at my friends house. I took the sample with me just because. I met a guy there and we got to talkin. This is where life gets funny. He worked for a refinery (i guess you would call it that) which dealt with mostly processing and manufature of nickel alloys but also refined precious metals and gold plating amongst many other things. This man claims to have samples of every metal under the sun from A-Z. This facility shut down in 84 and he went to go work for IBM.

There he worked in R&D and silicon manufacture. After handling the sample I got today, I suspected it was silicon so I of course showed it to him. He saw it and right away told me that it was definately silicon. Pure silicon. I described the ebay listing and he said its an ingot of silicon. When they first started making these they were 4 inches in diameter then went to 6 then 8 n now 12 is the standard. They then cut waffers off of them to make microchips and other silicon technologies.

I asked him what he thought an ingot would be worth and he told me the factors in which would make it worth zip. First is because it isnt the standard 12 inch diameter that is used today and no one would have use for it. Someone on this thread said it was 4+ inches so I imagine that this ingot is very old. Possibly one of the first types ever made. Also since its been around to different places it has picked up contaminants. Electronics have to be super clean of course and these ingots are probably only handled in clean rooms. Lastly these ingots are usually made right in the facilities that would use them and no one would be interested in just buying one. So I told the seller to sell it to the scrapyard guy or keep it on ebay. Someone already bid on the new listing so he/she is already up 10 bucks :lol:

So mystery solved. A gold star(OF THE STICKER VARIETY) to g_axelsson for first guessing silicon.

DSC00296.JPG

DSC00295.JPG

there are dealer companies that will buy tops and tails of silicon ingots even broken ingots .(one in Canada) .i think there used for re melt
there was a time that the industry was short on furnaces to produce ingots .that this 4 lb ingot would be worth 150.00 if it was not chiped or cracked .
i don't know what it is worth today
Detailed Buying Lead Description said:
Hello,
Targray Technology has been active in the solar industry for 5 years. We are based in Canada and have offices in Europe, Asia and the United States.
We are interested in purchasing, solar or semiconductor grade silicon ingot, silicon wafers (whole or broken, used dummy / test, chipped, all sizes), broken cells and off spec cells, silicon chunk, and all silicon scrap material (chips, offf spec polysilicon).
Please feel free to contact me and I will make you an offer.
Karen Richardson
I'm sure these companies don't buy from e-bay or even think of looking there

Gustavus,

The seller says:

I'VE PUT TOGETHER 400+ PAGES OF KNOWLEDGE FROM TEXT BOOKS AND JEWELERS SCHOOLS AND OF MINE AND OTHERS EXPERIENCES

I'd bet that includes some of our stuff...

Noxx,

Read down further and you will see "SO IS THE 360 PAGE PDF FILE FROM THE GOLD FORUM RECOVERERS".

excluding my insignifficant contribution ,someone someday is going to make big proffit from a book written upon your zeal and toil , guys !

Here is one for you;
platinum xble,3 ea 15ml,tall type, wt 10/13/15/grams
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180505008499&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I won this auction for $22.61, sent him payment, and he sends this;

"A payment of approx $22.00 sent. Selling price is in excess of $1500.00. Please explain"

So my reply was;

Do you need to learn how an Ebay auction works?
You better ask Ebay to explain.You need to set a reserve or start your auction at the price you want.This is a binding deal and Ebay will agree.
Selling price is what an auction ends at with no reserve set.

I doubt he will send me the crucibles, but it was worth a try.

Jim

Noxx said:
Oz,

360 pages on 400 total would make 90% that belongs to us. I wonder how many copies he sold yet...

It says 29 sold on that auction, but he may have had others.

Actually I added up all the other auctions and come up with 301.
Jim

looks like he learned his lesson.
would be interesting to see if he sends the crucibles, can not believe they did not go for a bid over spot as nearly everything does on ebay.

Jim

Back