The Best of Ebay

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Windir said:
spot was around 40$/gram for 24k when this ran....5grains = 12-13$...i just hope the stuff really is PURE.
good way to sell that refined product, no? could be, hes had many a transaction lately and the "bent over" seem satisfied....well, maybe those are strong words.....65 or $70 dollars for a gram of unauthenticated "emergency currency" ?....hmmm....a year or two from now (based on some speculations)....sure.

This is surely playing on the ingnorance of the buyers and manipulation of camera angles. The pic looks like they could be the size of a dime. Could also be that someone truely believes gold will go up that much soon. But then why not buy a larger amount at spot price instead of above right? Maybe they really just want the gold because it looks cool. Who knows. I can just imagine the looks on peoples faces when they open up their package and inside are five little pieces of gold the size of some grains of salt. I guess there is always gonna be someone that learns the hard way.

I have a bad feeling about this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/14k-585-scrap-gold-22-4-grams-NR-/170490704789?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Coins_Bullion&hash=item27b209b395

If you look at the other items the seller is auctioning you will see there are many other similar things. This is what scammers seem to do. Post a whole bunch of stuff to unload. They then do so as long as they can get away with it until ebay kicks them off. They then open up a new account (hence the zero feedback) and the cycle begins again.

I dont know. There's just something that makes me uneasy about buying from a 0 feedback ebayer. The fact that the ebayer claims to be in Miskolc, Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén, Hungary doesnt help either.

goldenchild said:

http://cgi.ebay.com/14k-585-scrap-gold-22-4-grams-NR-/170490704789?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Coins_Bullion&hash=item27b209b395

If you look at the other items the seller is auctioning you will see there are many other similar things. This is what scammers seem to do. Post a whole bunch of stuff to unload. They then do so as long as they can get away with it until ebay kicks them off. They then open up a new account (hence the zero feedback) and the cycle begins again.

I dont know. There's just something that makes me uneasy about buying from a 0 feedback ebayer. The fact that the ebayer claims to be in Miskolc, Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén, Hungary doesnt help either.

We all started out with zero feedback on ebay, as a seller I also prefer having a bidder with some number beside his/her user ID. For the most part found uts a mind set in myself and that zero feedback buyers are as good as those with large amounts of feedback when it comes time to anti up payment.

Personally I think your guy from Hungary is going to have plenty of happy customers, your seller resides in the US the goods are located in Hungary. I think that he is selling for a friend or relative who may have a language barrier with ebay.

The tone of the adds show hat the seller has had previous online selling experience, time will tell who this is going to play out.

Best Regards
Gill

Yes "the tone" does show experience but the" 0 "feedback says their has been trouble of some sort . that is my perception of this seller.
I would only buy large money items after he has 50 or so happy campers

I think its clear this seller has experience. Think of it this way. When you first started on ebay did you post 45 different things all at once? How long did it take for you to post 1 item? This guy posted all of them within minutes of each other. Before you knew what the type of item you were trying to sell usually sold for, did you start at 99 cents? I dont know, it just seems this person is trying to dump alot of stuff in a hurry. They all end so close to each other. As far as the 0 rating goes its true we all started there but I have personally had some cases with 0 feedback ebayers and inexperience or scamming seemed to be the problem. I agree with shyknee about the 50 feedbacks and do alot of investigating before buying.

goldenchild said:

check it out he or they now have at least 25000 dollars worth all to end within a few days of each other.
I'm not insinuating anything( just saying that is all ) I'm out :mrgreen:

shyknee said:
goldenchild said:

check it out he or they now have at least 25000 dollars worth all to end within a few days of each other.
I'm not insinuating anything( just saying that is all ) I'm out :mrgreen:

The seller has no feed back score. Makes me believe the bids he has are salted or done by a friend of his/hers.

Im watching one of the items. Gonna bid really low and hopefully I win it. If it turns out to be legit I will really kick myself in the pants. :roll:

hes trying too hard to convince buyers that its "100% authentic solid gold" from his friends closed pawnshop in hungary which is 585 EU standard, slightly better then the US 583 (is that so? well...thats good then right?) acid tested by a "master jeweler" (hes a master? that means hes really good at it, bein a jeweler) and...(most importantly mind you..) they don't contain any plated, filled items, and there is no other metals amongst them either...(no other metal at all? hmm...i was totally under the impression that 14karat was comprised of 42% OTHER metals...guess not in this case though, thats good to know) My scale can measure with 1 decimals only, so please take the described grams as approximate weight (you mean the weight could be off by as much as 9/100ths of a gram?! forget it, i dont want it anymore...ya had me too, but i dont think i can handle that)

far more information than i think ANYONE really needs...except for the part about it being 14k PURE gold...i think this "master jeweler" has some explaining to do...and i mean RIGHT QUICK!

goldenchild said:
Im watching one of the items. Gonna bid really low and hopefully I win it. If it turns out to be legit I will really kick myself in the pants. :roll:

if that package shows up and you get all that 14k for 13bucks? ...youre gonna doin cartwheels...before you hop back online to see what else this dude is giving away. youll deserve it too for havin faith when no body else did.

The seller has no feed back score. Makes me believe the bids he has are salted or done by a friend of his/hers.

oh crap, if you look at the bid history on some of em, particularly the coins...they arent all his friends, a couple of em are always winning the karat scrap auctions...i think this seller needs to be reported before they get away with tens of thousands of dollars.

goldenchild? your bad feeling very well could be right....lookin at it closely, i would have to agree.

its fraud.....if not, worse case for him?....he will just have to find another venue to sell his gold.

he will just have to find another venue to sell his gold.

Same venue with a new zero feedback account if they are phony.

This seller may have opened a new screen name just to sell for others. It does simplify the accounting end of consignments. However it is extremely suspicious.

Besides don't you trust eBay's buyer protection policy? :p

glorycloud said:
I might not have been a math major but aren't
a 1,000,000 pennies worth $10,000.00??

Only on ebay!!
It's a matter of value contained within the coin. With copper prices souring, pennies are worth more in scrap than face value, just as silver coins are. Big problem here, however, is in transporting 7,000 pounds of copper alloy. Hardly a good investment, at least as I see it.

I wonder if there could be some good dates included?

Harold

Harold_V said:
glorycloud said:
I might not have been a math major but aren't
a 1,000,000 pennies worth $10,000.00??

Only on ebay!!
It's a matter of value contained within the coin. With copper prices souring, pennies are worth more in scrap than face value, just as silver coins are. Big problem here, however, is in transporting 7,000 pounds of copper alloy. Hardly a good investment, at least as I see it.

I wonder if there could be some good dates included?

Harold
He guaranteed that a small percentage would be Wheat Cents. One of the problems I see is the inclusion by most of the sellers offering pennies, is adding the 1982 cents. They were made in both 95% Copper and plated Zinc. It would be a shame to buy a lot and find that most were 1982 Cents.

Since they are still Legal Tender, I believe it is a Federal Offense to melt them down or export them.

The seller mentions "machine sorted" I would assume by weight. If that is the case the zinc coins should have been excluded.

The scrap yards around here will not accept pennies for scrap. If anyone is seriously considering this you better check your local yard's policies or plan on doing a lot of ingot casting.

qst42know said:
The seller mentions "machine sorted" I would assume by weight. If that is the case the zinc coins should have been excluded.

The scrap yards around here will not accept pennies for scrap. If anyone is seriously considering this you better check your local yard's policies or plan on doing a lot of ingot casting.
No, there is a machine called a ryedale. I used to have one, fantastic machine. pour pennies in top and copper shoots to the left and zinc to the right. Sold all the coppers and the profit paid for the laptop I am using now.

Since you have used one of these machines, how does it distinguish between zinc and copper coins.

How does it react to copper clad steel Canadian pennies.

Still watching our hungarian pawn shop gold sale :) 4 days after most of his items sold and no feedback on seller side. I also noticed on lot of his items one member winning most of auctions. Somebody who might be his friend or somebody who might be burned badly. Or somebody (say one % of possibility) who will make some money if all that auctioned gold was real.

Back