The Best of Ebay

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, check this one out. 150 grams of "old solid silver bullion" with FREE shipping. He has a lot of these and they seem to be going off "NO BID". My question: Do you think this Jackass is blowing smoke?
http://cgi.ebay.com/old-chinese-old-solid-silver-bullion-qilinyuanyang-/170494335442?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27b24119d2375518475_o.jpg

patnor1011 said:
Still watching our hungarian pawn shop gold sale :) 4 days after most of his items sold and no feedback on seller side. I also noticed on lot of his items one member winning most of auctions. Somebody who might be his friend or somebody who might be burned badly. Or somebody (say one % of possibility) who will make some money if all that auctioned gold was real.

I have found that the moneyed folks buying precious metals and other high priced goods do not waste their time leaving feedback . If a person wishes to remain anonymous I respect their wishes in keeping their business private.

A good business man knows that time is money, using that time wisely will make him more money. For instance I called a fellow up the other morning at 6:00 am and said hope I'm not waking you and he relied wished you had. In other words the day could have begun much earlier as far as he was concerned.

Another friend of mine made all his calls early in the morning when George called me up one early morning I said Jesus George do you know what time it is and he replied yes and you have missed the best part of the day already.

Remember the early bird gets the worm, you snooze you loose. The human brain is at it's peak early in the morning feed it and get on with your day

Best Regards
Gill

qst42know said:
Since you have used one of these machines, how does it distinguish between zinc and copper coins. How does it react to copper clad steel Canadian pennies.

Here is a link to a video of the machine. This is the model I had. Pour the cents in the top bin, they get picked up by a rotating wheel and shot into a clear shute (you can hear the click/clack) and through a "comparitor" in the compairtor is a zinc cent and each coin is compaired to that zincer. If the metal value matches it gets shot to the right catch bin. If it does not match (solid copper) it goes down to the copper bin.
http://www.youtube.com/v/GSaJQZxhcq...xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1
I do not know how it reacts to the CN steel as I am almost in Mexico I am so far from Canada. It does get confused on old wheats but I always eyeball sorted them out first. (throw 150-200 on a towel and wheats are easy to spot. found about 5000 this way and sold separatly)

A lot of no bids because nearly everyone knows that chinese silver coins, bars, etc are fake.

Jim

gustavus said:
Remember the early bird gets the worm, you snooze you loose.

Being too anxious can also get one burned. It is often the second mouse that gets the cheese.

cyberdan said:
qst42know said:
Since you have used one of these machines, how does it distinguish between zinc and copper coins. How does it react to copper clad steel Canadian pennies.

Here is a link to a video of the machine. This is the model I had. Pour the cents in the top bin, they get picked up by a rotating wheel and shot into a clear shute (you can hear the click/clack) and through a "comparitor" in the compairtor is a zinc cent and each coin is compaired to that zincer. If the metal value matches it gets shot to the right catch bin. If it does not match (solid copper) it goes down to the copper bin.
http://www.youtube.com/v/GSaJQZxhcq...xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1
I do not know how it reacts to the CN steel as I am almost in Mexico I am so far from Canada. It does get confused on old wheats but I always eyeball sorted them out first. (throw 150-200 on a towel and wheats are easy to spot. found about 5000 this way and sold separatly)

I would guess this comparator is little more than a balance weighing the sample coin against the sampled. Wheat cents having more wear leading to the confusion.

That's an interesting bit of engineering. 8)

Could it be an audio test? Drop a zinc penny, then a copper penny, which is 95% copper, 5% zinc, and listen to the ring of the copper cent. It is absent from the zinc cent.

Harold

qst42know said:
I would guess this comparator is little more than a balance weighing the sample coin against the sampled. Wheat cents having more wear leading to the confusion.
No, it is actually a very tiny metal detector and scans the metal content of each coin as it passes and compares it with the coin in the machine.

I believe this part origionally was designed to go in a coin operated vending machine to kick out slugs or Chuckie Cheese tokens 8)

http://cgi.ebay.com/10lbs-Hard-Drive-Platters-Platinum-Recovery-Scrap-/290444820881?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439fdc4191

Here is an auction for some real gold leaf;

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-HASTINGS-23-KARAT-GOLD-LEAF-25-SHEETS-RARE-/290446749567?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439ff9af7f

I had a similar pack,but from a different company,and crumbled it up to fill a little plastic bottle.And the total weight of the gold leaf from a 25 leaf pack like this one is .35 gram.So it will take 3 packs of 25 leaves to make one gram of gold.

Jim

jimdoc said:
I had a similar pack,but from a different company,and crumbled it up to fill a little plastic bottle.And the total weight of the gold leaf from a 25 leaf pack like this one is .35 gram.So it will take 3 packs of 25 leaves to make one gram of gold.

Jimdoc's .35 gram/25 sheet book figure is right on. That would make the gold value about $13-$14/book. Some brands run a little more and some less, but that's a good average figure. New 25 sheet 23K "Books" presently sell for about $50-$60 - about 4 times spot. They are quite a bit cheaper when you buy a "Pack" (a box of 20 Books - 500 sheets). I still have about half a pack of 23K from my signmaking days.

Assuming the bidder is going to use the leaf and not refine it, $26 is a good deal. Also, Hastings made very good leaf.

patnor1011 said:
Still watching our hungarian pawn shop gold sale :) 4 days after most of his items sold and no feedback on seller side. I also noticed on lot of his items one member winning most of auctions. Somebody who might be his friend or somebody who might be burned badly. Or somebody (say one % of possibility) who will make some money if all that auctioned gold was real.

Well I see the Hungarian has -2 feedback now. It would be a lot lower except Ebay only counts a negative once from the same buyer. It looks like both buyers balked when he requested payment via wire transfer. Western Union transfers are quite commonly a scam, but if he meant a bank wire transfer it isn't necessarily so. Actually a lot of non-USA sellers seem to prefer direct bank transfers. Apparently it's much more common among the EU countries for example although we rarely do it here. There have been several book auctions where I've passed on bidding because the seller only accepted wire transfers and I didn't want to do that. Not to mention the fees are kinda stiff to do transfers to the EU from here in the USA. In some cases I've gotten the seller to agree (before bidding) to accept Paypal if I agreed to pay extra to cover their fees, but only if the item was something I really wanted. I have had a couple sellers who requested a bank wire transfer after the auction ended even though their auction said they accept Paypal. That's pretty rare though and in most cases they relented or we called it off. In one case the German seller just sent me the item and requested I send him a few post cards in return but the item only cost a couple dollars and he really didn't want to bother with Paypal.

macfixer01

Haven't ventured into the gold plated items realm in a while but it looks like things are really getting out of control.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-lb-scrap-gold-plated-pins-gold-recovery-/150460678257?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230827c071

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-lbs-scrap-gold-plated-Mil-Spec-Boards-gold-recovery_W0QQitemZ150460677535QQihZ005QQcategoryZ162134QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Isn't that immersion plating of boards?

goldenchild said:
Haven't ventured into the gold plated items realm in a while but it looks like things are really getting out of control.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-lb-scrap-gold-plated-pins-gold-recovery-/150460678257?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230827c071

Holy crap!! (As I sit here with my feet on a 160 pound tub of that type of scrap!)

silversaddle1 said:
goldenchild said:

Holy crap!! (As I sit here with my feet on a 160 pound tub of that type of scrap!)

Yeah. Maybe you could sell it on ebay for $150 a pound. It will seem like a deal to the people foolish enough to buy it expecting a profit.

goldenchild said:
silversaddle1 said:
goldenchild said:

Yeah. Maybe you could sell it on ebay for $150 a pound. It will seem like a deal to the people foolish enough to buy it expecting a profit.

I'd sure sell it for that! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sell Sell Sell before they get smart or find this forum :mrgreen:

You know it could be that they found that part they were looking for to complete the space ship in the back yard ?????

Back