100 Ounces of pins

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you everyone. You all and this great forum are directly responsible for my success! Your encouraging words have made my day much better.
trashmaster said:
great job. :p I'll say 3+oz :roll:
That would be amazing, but I know better than to get my hopes up. From what I have read a 1% yeld (1oz) would be legendary, so if I can get anywhere close to that I will be super happy! Even though I do like your number way better.

Geo,
Thank you too! 20 grams would be awesome!

Ok I hate to bug you guys with questions because you have helped me so much already, but..........

I have never dealt with this large volume of foils before and I have a couple of questions about refining them. I'm going to use HCL/CL to refine the foils and wanted to know if doing them all at the same time in the pictured jar would be a good idea or a bad one?

What I fear is heat build up during the reaction to dissolve the gold and also when precipitating the gold. If heat would be an issue, could I just have the jar in an ice water bath when I have the reaction going? Or would separating them into several smaller batches be better?

The vessel I use to do my hot washes on my foils would not be good for decanting the solution off of my powder and my wife is already mad at me for spending money ($15.00) to get 2 melting dishes from Steve's (lasersteve) web site. I can't wait till they get here though, thank you Steve!

I open to any and all suggestions. Thank you!

tek4g63 said:
I have never dealt with this large volume of foils before and I have a couple of questions about refining them. I'm going to use HCL/CL to refine the foils and wanted to know if doing them all at the same time in the pictured jar would be a good idea or a bad one?
My opinion?
Run them all at the same time, assuming you're comfortable with the process.

What I fear is heat build up during the reaction to dissolve the gold and also when precipitating the gold. If heat would be an issue, could I just have the jar in an ice water bath when I have the reaction going? Or would separating them into several smaller batches be better?
If you chill the solution, the reaction will be quite subdued. If you'd like to dissolve without risk of over reaction, add HCl, then add a few drops of Cl at a time, giving it time to work. That way you'll use only what is required to dissolve the material, without risk of overheating. Warming the solution will accelerate dissolution.

When it comes to precipitation, you don't have to worry about a boil over. Even if you precipitate from a VERY heavily concentrated solution, it won't create enough heat to boil over, although it may get hot enough to stop precipitating. That's not uncommon with SO2 gas, but it requires a concentration in the vicinity of five ounces/liter. Assuming you have three ounces present, if you use a 1500 or 2000 ml beaker, there's no fear of creating enough heat to give you problems. Just make sure there's enough room for the precipitant of choice, assuming it will be dissolved in more water.

The vessel I use to do my hot washes on my foils would not be good for decanting the solution off of my powder and my wife is already mad at me for spending money ($15.00) to get 2 melting dishes from Steve's (lasersteve) web site.
Use any glass vessel you can find, including a gallon pickle jar. Just don't try heating, as the large thick jars don't like uneven heat. As far as your wife complaining, she might see things from a different view when you allow her to hold a button of gold that is worth more than her car! :) She'll start seeing the few dollars you've spent as not a big deal.

Luck!

Be certain to share a picture of the button. Make damned sure you wash the gold properly. Makes all the difference in the world.

Harold

Thank you very much Harold! I will take your advice and chill the solution. Adding very small shots of bleach is normally how I do it because I would rather "do it right, then do it fast". Quoting a great man, my father.

About the washing of the powder. I will refine at least twice and depending on the color of the solution maybe three times. Also I copied and pasted your washing procedure to my phone and my PC and have a paper copy in my note book. I will not skip a step, thank you so much for giving us that kind of information for free.

I hope you are correct about my wife, she is a stubborn woman and not easily persuaded to change her point of view. In a lot of ways though that is why I married her.

Harold_V said:
As far as your wife complaining, she might see things from a different view when you allow her to hold a button of gold that is worth more than her car! :) She'll start seeing the few dollars you've spent as not a big deal.

This seems to happen often around here. And it always ends the same way 8) Just don't let them touch platinum or then you'll be in trouble.

Well I'm back in town for a few days so I'm back to the task at hand. I digested my foils in HCL/CL yesterday and tonight I precipitated the gold with SMB. I'm going to let it sit for a few hours to settle before I decant and start my washes before my second digestion. The solution was a bit greener than I would have hoped but I know washing and further refining will take care of any impurities. Below are the pictures taken, after filtering and adding tap water and about 30 minutes after adding SMB. I like how the gold powder kind of clumped up this time.

I ran into one small head scratcher that I will be asking for advice on but I will post that after this post.

Attachments

• 2012-06-10 03.43.32.jpg
    2012-06-10 03.43.32.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 277
  • 2012-06-10 03.42.08.jpg
    2012-06-10 03.42.08.jpg
  • 2012-06-10 02.24.33.jpg
    2012-06-10 02.24.33.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 277
Keep in mind that I am still very new at this please. After filtering my auric chloride I was left with a good amount of grey sediment in my filter. I've processed foils from small batches of pins twice now but have never ran into this problem. How should I go about testing this sediment to determine what it could be?

Ps. On a side note, I think I need to start a post to ask how to recover gold from june beetles lol. Two of the pesky suckers got into my solution while I was letting the chlorine evaporate out.

Seriously though, thank you all for your help!

Attachments

• 2012-06-10 02.25.26.jpg
    2012-06-10 02.25.26.jpg
Just one more quick update. I received my melting dishes from steve while I was gone. Thank you steve they are great! I followed your procedure for seasoning my dish and did my first ever melt tonight! I melted just the powder from that test batch of foils that I posted about on this thread a while back. The foils weighed 1.3 grams (test batch not from the 100 ounces of pins) here is the pretty little BB I made tonight.I will weigh it a work tomorrow night.

Sorry about the low quality of the pictures.

Attachments

• 2012-06-10 04.01.27-1.jpg
    2012-06-10 04.01.27-1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 275
  • 2012-06-10 04.00.47-1.jpg
    2012-06-10 04.00.47-1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 275
trashmaster said:
Congrats on the newborn :p .

Hope you and the wife have many more and larger in the future :mrgreen:

Thank you! Yeah that little fella was just a test for me. I did a small quantity of pins in AP, then then took the foils from them and refined them, then worked on my melting technique to get this little guy. It was all in the name of learning, so he means allot to me. I'll never part with him.

My next will be from this 100 ounce batch of pins so she should be much bigger. Just to give you a visual reference. The picture below is the powder that made this little one on it's first drop. It's in a small pickle jar. sorry about the bad angle, I took it for my notes to show the color of solution on first drop as compared to the drop after second refining.

Attachments

• 2012-06-10 04.00.47-1.jpg
    2012-06-10 04.00.47-1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 263
  • 2012-05-17 21.23.05.jpg
    2012-05-17 21.23.05.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 263
  • 2012-05-05 23.52.00.jpg
    2012-05-05 23.52.00.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 263
tek4g63 said:
I followed your procedure for seasoning my dish and did my first ever melt tonight!
That is awesome! If you can afford it,I would suggest that you frame that bad boy.If you decide to do that,I would buy a frame at the dollar store,cut a piece of carboard to fit in it(have the kids paint the cardboard),glue the button in the middle,and write the details just below the button,like date,time,size,and what it came from.Just an idea.

are you testing your spent solutions? it seems to still be colored after the drop. if the foils were clean, and the solution was yellow which denotes the absence of impurities, the spent solution should be clear. test all your solutions after you precipitate to be sure you got all the gold. it sure looks suspect to me.

by the way, very nice button. good job for a first time.

White salts (what are they and how can I deal with them).

White or gray sediment, can be several things, depending on what was processed and steps taken during the process, since we are discussing that these powders came from chloride solution, these are metal chloride salts, possibility's can include copper I chloride (CuCl), lead chloride (PbCl2), silver chloride (AgCl), if bleach (sodium hypochlorite) was used in the process sodium chloride (NaCl) (table salt) is very likely, (if mercury was involved like from dental waste or ore it can also form insoluble chlorides).

Also you could possibly have some other metal or insoluble substance depending on source materials (ceramic, silica sands from ore) un-dissolved or cemented gold or some other metal that would not or did not dissolve or was possibly cemented or precipitated from solution.

Neutralizing the powders (to keep from forming valuable metal chlorides during the incineration process) and an incineration, can help to remove inorganic materials and oils, and oxidize any base metals (like tin if it is involved from working with electronic scrap), incineration will not always be necessary (depending on conditions), but it is usually very beneficial.

Almost the whole process can be performed in a corning casserole dish, or amber vision ware on a hotplate (electric hotplate best for solutions or gas burner type which is hotter and works best for the incineration process), even the incineration of the powders using a Mapp gas, or propane torch, and dissolving metals or powder's. Heating solutions in acids while using heat, decanting of solutions and wash's can be done in these containers, using the suction bulb, or pipette to decant solutions after powders settle from solutions, I will process many items using these tools, and rarely remove the solid powders during almost the whole processes, decanting solutions as needed, these tools are an important part of my lab, and can be found at your second hand store, check your local pharmacy for the suction bulb and pipettes, or order from online.

Copper I chloride (CuCl), water insoluble will dissolve in HCl forming the familiar green (or dark brown depending on concentration) solution of copper II chloride (CuCl2), a boil in HCL can help also to pick up other base metals that would be soluble in this acid, this can also help to acidify these salts remaining, the HCL alone would not dissolve valuables, or metals like gold (without the use of an oxidizer),HCl will not dissolve silver in the powders, or the silver chloride (a very small amount of silver chloride (AgCL) may form AgCl2, which may go into solution because of highly acidic chloride solution but you can get this small amount back later), after incinerating any tin (if involved) in the powders to oxidize them (during the incineration) this hot HCl solution will also dissolve the tin oxides (if you had previous troubles from tin, or filtering.

Boiling hot water washes will help to remove the soluble chloride metal salts, and the lead chloride (PbCl2) this lead chloride is fairly soluble in boiling water, but lead chloride is not soluble in cold water (so these water wash's when decanted to a jar will reform the white lead salts as the solution cools), silver chloride is not soluble in hot or cold water so these boiling washes are a good way to separate these two metal salts, it is important to let the powders in these boiling hot water wash's settle before decanting the soluble lead salts (lowering the heat but keeping solution hot, but not moving, while the fluffy silver chloride settles which takes a little time, before decanting the solution).

Sodium chloride (NaCl) (table salt) is also water soluble, these can be removed with dissolving in water, of coarse warm or hot water dissolves these easier, they can easily be dissolved any time during the process.

Since you are not, or should not be working with mercury (Hg), I will not go into this metal at this point, and if by chance you were, it should be removed early in the process using a retort to safely deal with it, and should not be carried into the process to form chloride salts.

Now lets say we are left with silver chloride and gold powders or flakes, we could dissolve the silver chloride using ammonium hydroxide washes (household ammonia will work) this forms a soluble silver diammine complex, decant this solution from the gold, acidify this solution using HCl additions (an important step for safety reasons), also wash the gold powder in HCl (for safety reasons), the HCl added to this silver diammine solution (Ag(NH3)2 + Cl-) will again form a silver chloride precipitant, this will assure you powders and solutions are safe from forming an explosive powder when dried, the silver chloride can be saved in a jar (keep wet), until you collect enough to convert the silver chloride to elemental silver before melting.

The gold powder or flake if any can be washed, and process later, or in next batch.
Do not forget to test any solutions that can contain dissolved values.

Decanted solutions can also contain traces of values carried over in the decanting process, these salts can be re-crystallized and stored separately, also the traces of values retrieved from these salts or powders.

Stockpots should also be maintained for collection of values.

Read Hokes, the source for many of these ideas and to learn how to identify or deal with metals in solutions, read the book worth its weight in gold if you wish to get gold.

I'll bet that pretty little gold button in your wife hands will change her thinking a little bit.

You have done a great job, and good thread showing your progress, keep up the good work.

Some pictures of the tools I find very useful in my lab (outside in the fresh air under my ole oak tree)

Attachments

• suction.jpg
    suction.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 245
  • cassarole.jpg
    cassarole.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 245
  • amber vision ware corning.jpg
    amber vision ware corning.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 245
  • pippette.jpg
    pippette.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 245
Geo said:
are you testing your spent solutions? it seems to still be colored after the drop. if the foils were clean, and the solution was yellow which denotes the absence of impurities, the spent solution should be clear. test all your solutions after you precipitate to be sure you got all the gold. it sure looks suspect to me.

by the way, very nice button. good job for a first time.

Thank you geo. I'm glad you said that about the color of the solution, because I was thinking the same thing. I'm currently making me some new stannous chloride because my last batch was getting pretty old and id rather not trust it. To answer your question though, yes I have kept all solutions that have not been tested. They are jared up and labeled.

About my foils being clean though, when I got back in town the foils were still in the solution from the last wash cycle (last hot HCL) and it was faintly blue. I got excited to get back to it though and proceeded to rinse them with water then digest. So there is a chance that I didn't get them as clean as I would have liked.

Thanks for the kind words about the button. It ain't nothing to brag about, but the journey I took getting to that was well worth it.

Butcher, once again you have blown me away. Thank you so much for taking the valuable time out of your day to help me out. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I work nights so I had to sleep and then I had to read your reply several times to be sure I had a grasp on that great information. I have read Hoke, started her book the first week after joining this forum. Now that I have had some good hands on experience I'm in the process of rereading it.

After reading your post I have made some notes on how to test what this sediment is. Please tell me if this sounds correct.

First- I will boil it in hot water and see if their is any change. If so, I will let the resulting water cool to see if any sediment reappears. This will tell me if it is lead our table salt.
Second- I will run it in hot HCL. If there is a color change and a reduction or elimination of the sediment I will let the solution cool then test for values.
Third- I will use ammonia to see if it contains silver. If any sediment remains from this step, I will wash it thoroughly and see if it will digest in HCL/CL.

Throughout theses tests any sediment that didn't go into solution will be washed and moved to the next test. Does this sound correct?

Yes you are correct about my wife! For the first time since starting this hobby my wife actually encouraged me to work on it! Before now I've had to work on this at night after everyone was asleep, one my one night off of work a week. I hope she keeps this attitude from now on,lol

tek4g63,
I work a late shift, and know how one can burn his candle from both ends.

I will try to post a process, that may cover more than what your dealing with, but that can help you or others when dealing with these solutions, tin and lead can be troublesome, and since we deal with a lot of these metals from electronic scrap, we need to understand how to deal with them. You may not need all of these steps below depending on the conditions of your material, and I may add some details that are irrelevant, or you may not wish to use, also I have put in a long day so I do not know i this post will come out as just one long rambling on.

If tin is involved, (like if you had trouble filtering the previous solutions), I would neutralize the powders with sodium hydroxide, wash in hot water to remove the salts that form from this reaction. this would help to remove chlorides that with silver or gold can become volitile during the inceneration process,
NaOH + HCl --> NaCl + H2O
(Notice in the reaction above the strong acid and the strong base (caustic), gives a neutral salt water you could drink, or put on french frys, when either of the two starting ingredients would burn your skin).
Dry the powders and incinerate red hot, to oxidize the tin and other base metals. Cool the powders, then a hard boil in HCl, adding just a little water at the end, (not too much), lower heat but keep hot to let the insoluble powders settle, and decant the HCl wash with the dissolved metals, water washes till no more color, (depending on conditions the HCl and water washes may need repeated). (if tin is not a problem this step can be skipped when dealing with your white salts).

Copper I chloride (if you did not dissolve it out earlier in the incineration and boiling HCl wash's, we used to get rid of the tin problem above), (this copper I chloride can be removed before the lead or after the lead) the copper I chloride can be dissolved in hot HCL, the color of the solution will be very dark brown if you have a lot of this powder, a less saturated solution will look green, and very little copper in solution can look blue, I would use HCl till most of the copper chloride is removed and then do hot water washes until clear, (these hot washes will also dissolve lead and the Nacl salts the lead will precipitate when cooled the salt will stay in solution as long as solution is not saturated).

The salts should be somewhat acidic to begin with (if you have neutralized them previously bring the pH towards the acid side with a little HCl), if they came from acid solution previously just proceed with the washes.

I would boil in water, lower heat to let powders settle, but keep solution as hot as possible, this will dissolve lead chloride and any table salts NaCl. When powder settles (silver chloride is fluffy, gold can be small flakes that will swirl in solution, and takes time to settle, silver chloride you can see it, the silver chloride will look white a fluffy powder cottage cheese or like milk in solution, silver will not be clear in the solution like the lead chloride, or table salt in the hot water wash, decant this hot solution into a cooling jar, I use the suction bulb tool to decant, a trick is to cut a pipette and to fit it on the end of the suction bulb, this gives a small opening, able to pick up drops of solution) and a longer reach when getting down into the bottom of a tall vessel), you can decant your solutionand then through a filter into your cooling jar, filtering of these washes should be done hot(you can forget the filter and go straight into the jar also, much depends on conditions of solutions and how you wish to work, (in this jar when cooled you will see the lead chloride precipitate, the salt NaCl will remain dissolved even when this water wash cools), you may also see some color from copper or some other base metal in this solution, repeat these washes until you get no more lead chloride forms when the decanted solution cools.

Copper I chloride (if you did not dissolve it out earlier can be remove after the lead and NaCl.

Sometimes I will use two cooling jars and return the cooled liquid back to the boiling pot to pick up more lead (to lower my waste volume), one jar is cooling of while the other is taking the hot solution, this is only needed if your dealing with large volumes of these white powders, if you use this the later washes should use fresh water.(this is not necessary just one trick I will use), (on another note: as solutions of most metals will dissolve more metals in solutions and saturate when hot, and precipitate the metal salts when cooled, I will sometimes use this to remove metals from a solution using the same solution and temperatures to transfer the metals, or even dissolve and precipitate them from the same solution , like using saturation points to do a job), (if this paragraph if confusing just disregard it).

Now where am I ?
We have removed the NaCl, PbCl2, and CuCl, and some other base metals, that should leave us with silver chloride and gold, well lets not use the ammonia here this time to dissolve silver as it can be dangerous if we do not understand all the dangers, we can use HCl and bleach to dissolve the gold from our silver chloride powders, I will not go into all the other details on this, except to say the silver chloride is insoluble for the most part in this solution, also I can add that the remaining powders we separated can be
re-crystallized for higher purity, and I save my lead salts (figure I will use them some day), and also remember that the silver chloride will need cleaned up and converted to metal silver powders before melting, if you only have small amounts of these powders label jars and store them until you get a jar full to process, the silver chloride should be kept wet, just a little wash water covering them in the jar and a plastic lid (so rust will not become a problem).

Hope this rambling on makes sense, as I am very tired, I also hope his is somewhat useful.

Read Hoke's, do her experiments, that is where you can learn the things I have tried to explain here, for me almost every recovery and sometimes refining is can be different and how I may deal with it can change, but the principles do not change, so learning the principles Hoke's teaches lets you know how to adapt your process to circumstances or challenges your faced with at that moment.
Read it until it is as clear as the blue sky, after recovering and refining for a while if you going back to reread her book you will see things you never saw the first few times you read that.

Well it’s off to bed with a good book for me,
You have a good night.

Butcher, that is exactly what I needed to know. Right now I have the mystery sediment in a baby food jar with some tap water and that is where it will stay until I'm ready to follow your excellent instructions.

Now onto the next issue. I washed the powder from this batch per Harold instructions. The powder witch was all clumped up after the first refine, stayed clumped up through the wash cycles.it would sort of bust up when I stirred it but it would quickly clump back up. Is that normal?

Now for the thing that has me worried the most! I started to digest my powders for a second refine and part way into the digestion I have stopped. The color is not the golden yellow I have come to expect. Instead it is orange! I hope I have not just messed everything up.

Here is what I did after the wash cycles were complete. I added 1/2 a cup of tap water to the mud then added 2/3 a cup of HCL then 2 ounces of bleach. Gave it all a good stir and headed into the house to play with the kids. When I went back out about 2 hours later to add a bit more bleach I found my solution looked like this! Was I wrong to dilute the HCL before digestion? Usually I do any diluting after digestion before precipitation. Or did I mess up during the wash cycles? I will leave it as is until I can find an answer. I sure hope I didn't make a very costly mistake.

Attachments

• 2012-06-11 13.44.13.jpg
    2012-06-11 13.44.13.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 191
  • 2012-06-11 13.43.55.jpg
    2012-06-11 13.43.55.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 191
tek4g63 said:
The powder witch was all clumped up after the first refine, stayed clumped up through the wash cycles.it would sort of bust up when I stirred it but it would quickly clump back up. Is that normal?
If precipitated gold is quite pure, yes, it's normal. It readily bonds to itself. In my experience, I found that gold that came down very dirty would not bond, even after being well washed. It may be to do with its configuration. Dunno.

Harold

Latest posts

Back