gold recovery

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent.
I’m glad it worked out.
Enjoy your weekendđź‘Ť

Good night friend

it worked thank you

The other part of the precipitate needs to be melted but the gas is out and the store only works on Monday, I'll wait.

Then I'll merge it all into a gold bar.

The photo of the first part.

Great weekend Thank you

Attachments

• 20221022_152909.jpg
    20221022_152909.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221022_140041.mp4
    37.5 MB
Sorry mate but it is very confusing to what you do and why you do it.
I’ll comment in the quote in bold.

I think it is wise that you put your solution and chemicals aside in a safe manner untill we can establish what happened and how to correct it.
Have you read C.M. Hokes book?
Have you studied the forum to establish what to do?

First I want you to describe in detail and step by step what you have done so far and if you remember the result of each step.
Then we can see if we can unfurl your mess and get some yellow metal from it.
In description of my process I have said AG, that is not correct it should be AG (aqua regia)

In description of my process I have said AG, that is not correct it should be AG (aqua regia)
Please do describe in detail what you have done.
Your description did not make much sense to me.
Please take it step by step so we can see if there is something obvious that need corrected.

I have started with 18k gold to refine it to 24k, I have used Nitric & Hydrochloric acid as described in Aqua regia process. After submerging gold pieces in solution, chemical reaction started, I have left it settle over night 12 hrs. In the morning I have notced that chemical reaction stopped , but gold pieces were there, covered in black. I went to see local jeweler and ask him for advice, He told me that local gold has about 15% of silver in it and that is preventing gold to dissolve, I have ask him how to correct it, he said I have to quatre gold with silver or copper 50 :50 portions , that iI did, new gold pieces I have covered with nitric acid and distilled water for about4 hrs. and than added hydrochloric acid 4:1 ratio. Chemical reaction started, liquid in glass was turning brown/ black. Next morning I have notice that all rection stop, but liquid in glass was dark green, I have mixt some bicarb soda with distilled water and slowly started pour it in acid solution to neutralize acid solution, than liquid turn dark blue, I put beacon with solution in hot water and add some urea and hope that access l liquid will evaporate a will be left with brown mud, but all what I have is beautiful blue mess. That all about it, obviously I am not very happy.

I have started with 18k gold to refine it to 24k, I have used Nitric & Hydrochloric acid as described in Aqua regia process. After submerging gold pieces in solution, chemical reaction started, I have left it settle over night 12 hrs. In the morning I have notced that chemical reaction stopped , but gold pieces were there, covered in black. I went to see local jeweler and ask him for advice, He told me that local gold has about 15% of silver in it and that is preventing gold to dissolve, I have ask him how to correct it, he said I have to quatre gold with silver or copper 50 :50 portions , that iI did, new gold pieces I have covered with nitric acid and distilled water for about4 hrs. and than added hydrochloric acid 4:1 ratio. Chemical reaction started, liquid in glass was turning brown/ black. Next morning I have notice that all rection stop, but liquid in glass was dark green, I have mixt some bicarb soda with distilled water and slowly started pour it in acid solution to neutralize acid solution, than liquid turn dark blue, I put beacon with solution in hot water and add some urea and hope that access l liquid will evaporate a will be left with brown mud, but all what I have is beautiful blue mess. That all about it, obviously I am not very happy.
This just the same you had.
Muddy at best.
1 tried to dissolve Gold but got black crust.
2 Jewller said much silver in the Gold
3 and so on.

In order to dissolve the Gold by quartering one add enough Silver so the Gold is one quarter (6k) of the whole.
Then we part it with Nitric diluted with distilled water and heat it to almost boiling until no more dissolves.
Then we wash it thoroughly and collects the washing.
The residue is almost pure gold and can be melted or refined.

This just the same you had.
Muddy at best.
1 tried to dissolve Gold but got black crust.
2 Jewller said much silver in the Gold
3 and so on.

In order to dissolve the Gold by quartering one add enough Silver so the Gold is one quarter (6k) of the whole.
Then we part it with Nitric diluted with distilled water and heat it to almost boiling until no more dissolves.
Then we wash it thoroughly and collects the washing.
The residue is almost pure gold and can be melted or refined.
Thank for your input, make sense, but now for recovery. I have saved all liquid and mud. Dave suggested I test first my waste for traces of gold with stannous chloride before proceed with recovery. I will have to make my own as there is no chance to buy it in Madagascar and you cannot import it by airfreight.

Thank for your input, make sense, but now for recovery. I have saved all liquid and mud. Dave suggested I test first my waste for traces of gold with stannous chloride before proceed with recovery. I will have to make my own as there is no chance to buy it in Madagascar and you cannot import it by airfreight.
I have no way to assess where you are in your process since I don't fully understand what you have done.
So as per that, can not give further advice.
Stannous are the easy part ;)

Have you tested your solution with stannous chloride to see if there is still gold in solution?

There are several things in your procedure that I would not agree with, like adding copper to inquart, and adding sodium bicarbonate and urea. But we can come back to that. Let's first determine if you have any gold in solution.

Dave
I am sorry I did not reply yet, I am traveling country, will contact you as soon as I am back home and done test on solution.

Have you tested your solution with stannous chloride to see if there is still gold in solution?

There are several things in your procedure that I would not agree with, like adding copper to inquart, and adding sodium bicarbonate and urea. But we can come back to that. Let's first determine if you have any gold in solution.

Dave
Hi Dave , I have made test with stannous chloride and when I dip test stick in solution it turn blue as my "waste" is blue, than I add few drops of Stannous chloride, cotton on test stick, turn white for a moment, than started changing color, finally color turn blue/ red , more like blue/brown. That is what I have now. Karel

Hi Dave , I have made test with stannous chloride and when I dip test stick in solution it turn blue as my "waste" is blue, than I add few drops of Stannous chloride, cotton on test stick, turn white for a moment, than started changing color, finally color turn blue/ red , more like blue/brown. That is what I have now. Karel
Here is a picture of how stannous tests look like.
A member posted this a few years ago and is a nice guide.

1666936098669.jpeg

My test cotton color is close to AV on picture, but that white part is light blue as my original solution is blue. Today I have evaporate excess water and I have blue mud. Karel
Well it is Au and that means you have Gold in solution.
The blue mud is probably from Copper Nitrate.

I asked you a question in the past October 21, that was not replied to properly.
Which means, I at least, have no clear picture of what you have done.
As a result I can't actually give you any advice at the time being.

If you tell us what you did step by step, we might help you.

Well it is Au and that means you have Gold in solution.
The blue mud is probably from Copper Nitrate.

I asked you a question in the past October 21, that was not replied to properly.
Which means, I at least, have no clear picture of what you have done.
As a result I can't actually give you any advice at the time being.

If you tell us what you did step by step, we might help you.

I have tried to refine 18k gold to 24 k, I used Aqua Regia solution, left the solution work over night, in morning gold pieces were covered in black, but did not dissolved. I spoke to local jeweler and he told me that local gold has more than 15% of silver in it and has to be quatered before refining with silver or copper, I have ask him if he can sale me silver to do so, but he did not have any at that moment and suggested that I use copper, so I did. Pieces which I quatered I submerged in solution of nitric acid/ distilled water 50:50 left it work for about 6 hrs. than I have added hydrochloric acid in ratio 4:1 to nitric acid and left it work again over night. In morning solution turn green and after few hrs. turn brown black and al gold/coper pieces were dissolved. I waited few hrs till all chemical reaction stop and add bicarb soda to cleared the solution and added some urea, solution did not cleared but turn dark blue, I added more bicarb soda and urea and heated solution in boiling water until all chemical reactions have stopped. Yesterday I have drain excess white liquid and partly dehydrated solution, now I am left with blue mud.

I have tried to refine 18k gold to 24 k, I used Aqua Regia solution, left the solution work over night, in morning gold pieces were covered in black, but did not dissolved. I spoke to local jeweler and he told me that local gold has more than 15% of silver in it and has to be quatered before refining with silver or copper, I have ask him if he can sale me silver to do so, but he did not have any at that moment and suggested that I use copper, so I did. Pieces which I quatered I submerged in solution of nitric acid/ distilled water 50:50 left it work for about 6 hrs. than I have added hydrochloric acid in ratio 4:1 to nitric acid and left it work again over night. In morning solution turn green and after few hrs. turn brown black and al gold/coper pieces were dissolved. I waited few hrs till all chemical reaction stop and add bicarb soda to cleared the solution and added some urea, solution did not cleared but turn dark blue, I added more bicarb soda and urea and heated solution in boiling water until all chemical reactions have stopped. Yesterday I have drain excess white liquid and partly dehydrated solution, now I am left with blue mud.
This is the same story again, almost unreadable.
So I have taken your text and broken down with line shifts to make it readable.
I have tried to refine 18k gold to 24 k, I used Aqua Regia solution,
left the solution work over night, in morning gold pieces were covered in black, but did not dissolved.

I spoke to local jeweler and he told me that local gold has more than 15% of silver in it
and has to be quatered before refining with silver or copper, I have ask him if he can sale me silver to do so,
but he did not have any at that moment and suggested that I use copper, so I did.

Pieces which I quatered I submerged in solution of nitric acid/ distilled water 50:50 left it work for about 6 hrs.

than I have added hydrochloric acid in ratio 4:1 to nitric acid and left it work again over night.

In morning solution turn green and after few hrs. turn brown black and al gold/coper pieces were dissolved.

I waited few hrs till all chemical reaction stop and add bicarb soda to cleared the solution and added some urea,
solution did not cleared but turn dark blue,
I added more bicarb soda and urea and heated solution in boiling water until all chemical reactions have stopped.

Yesterday I have drain excess white liquid and partly dehydrated solution, now I am left with blue mud.

I have tried to refine 18k gold to 24 k, I used Aqua Regia solution,
left the solution work over night, in morning gold pieces were covered in black, but did not dissolved.
That is what happens when the Silver content in the Gold is too high

I spoke to local jeweler and he told me that local gold has more than 15% of silver in it
and has to be quatered before refining with silver or copper, I have ask him if he can sale me silver to do so,
but he did not have any at that moment and suggested that I use copper, so I did.
It is completetely ok, to use Copper instead of Silver, but it the Copper needs a about 4es as much Nitric as Silver to dissolve.

Pieces which I quatered I submerged in solution of nitric acid/ distilled water 50:50 left it work for about 6 hrs.
It is beneficial to do this under almost boiling temperatures, and continue till there are no more reaction. Add more Nitric until there are no more reaction.
I think this was not completed, since you have blue in your end solution. Pour off all liquids and collect it in another container.
Wash the remains until the wash water is clear or almost clear.

than I have added hydrochloric acid in ratio 4:1 to nitric acid and left it work again over night.
This is your first big mistake.
We do not premix the AR, add enough HCl to cover what you are dissolving, then add small increments of Nitric untill all is dissolved.
Adding more Nitric when the reaction stops, or more HCl if that do not work. This is best done hot, but not boiling, never boil Gold solution.
When all solids are dissolved, the liquid should be orange or slight greenish. Cool the solution with ice and dilute it with some water
Then filter it until crystal clear which here means you can read text through it.

In morning solution turn green and after few hrs. turn brown black and al gold/coper pieces were dissolved.
There should be no Copper left after the Nitric. I don't quite understand the brown black you are describing.

I waited few hrs till all chemical reaction stop and add bicarb soda to cleared the solution and added some urea,
solution did not cleared but turn dark blue,
I added more bicarb soda and urea and heated solution in boiling water until all chemical reactions have stopped.
Why did you add Sodium Bicarbonate?
And Urea is not used for refining here in this forum, it is not effective to destroy the Nitric and its salts completely
and sometimes can create explosive compounds. Preferably we use so little Nitric it don't need to be denoxed.
If we need to denox we use Sulfamic acid.

Yesterday I have drain excess white liquid and partly dehydrated solution, now I am left with blue mud.
Hard to say, but you may have added too much bicarb and created a hydroxide mud, I see no reason to increase the pH this time.
It can create a lot of confusion. Your mud can be undissolved salts of kinds too. Anyway, it should not be blue.
That means you did not dissolve all the copper in the Nitric step. By the way, what kind of Copper did you use?
Are you sure you did not use some kind of Bronze?

I will comment in the quote in bold text.
Anyway you need to study more and at least read C.M. Hokes book.

Latest posts

Back