how to build an acid resistant hood & scrubber _hood_

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=3wy87&op=search&Ntt=3wy87&N=0&sst=All

I have a 55 gallon barrel and I would like to use this pump
What do you folks think

I have a 55 gallon barrel and I would like to use this pump
What do you folks think

I'm confused and I'm not going to go back and read the 9 pages of the this thread. What in hell is the pump for? Exhaust? If so, no! Transferring or circulating solution for some reason - yes.

Hi Gsp
Thanks for your reply
I would like to use the water pump for the scrubber for circulating the water
Thanks

golddie said:
Hi Gsp
Thanks for your reply
I would like to use the water pump for the scrubber for circulating the water
Thanks

I think that is going to be bigger than you will need. Look for a smaller pump or a 12V pump from and RV or farm chemical sprayer like you pull behind a riding lawn mower.

I found this but its not acid resistant
I guess its not a big deal to change those buster plug clamps

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=9576

That would be closer to what you will need. Do some searching on the Gainger web site and you should find something, or you might have to go to a company that handles this type of pump. The chemicals we use will eat up the housing being SS and probably the impeller is SS as well. I worked at a chemical plant for 3-4 yrs and we used SS, titanium, and all other metal and they all went out with time. We delt with HCL, Hydrobromic, and I think sulfuric as well, it's been too many years.

You will have to make the determination on wheather or not you are willing to put up with changing the housing, impeller and seals each time this goes out or going ahead and spending the money to get the correct equipment that will last.

You will be better off in the long run to use the correct equipment.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93231

The price of this blower is fantastic but again I dont think it will be acid resistant

I am not sure how the ABS plastic will hold up but I feel it will be effected by the chemical from what I have see some plastics do with the chemicals we use. This could be used as an indirect blower that makes a vacume on the fume hood.

Hi Barren Realms 007
If you look in this picture there is the red galvanized pipe system
That is a second blower on top of the one for the scrubber
Do you think it would be possible to use it there
For example for melting gold and incinerating jewelers filling.
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/5999/11016735.jpg

What I am saying is this for acid
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=2C863&op=search&Ntt=2C863&N=0&sst=All
Note: This blower is 409 dollars in Canada. Isn't that absurd

This for second hood.
But it will also be exposed to acid because I will have it running as a secondary fume hood to pick up things that escape the first blower

golddie said:
If you look in this picture there is the red galvanized pipe system
That is a second blower on top of the one for the scrubber
Do you think it would be possible to use it there
For example for melting gold and incinerating jewelers filling.
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/5999/11016735.jpg

This perticular setup is for a commercial setup. Unless you are going to get big in this you will not need a setup like this. I commend you for having great ideas on what you want to do. But you need to look at reality. You can easily spen$2,000-3,000 on building this setup, that is by the time you buy your stuff and get what little help you will need with electrical, piping, controls. Not counting the 2-3 weeks it will take you to build this. Go find Lasersteve's, Harold's, Lou's, GSP's and the other leaders of this board posts on this subject. Go find the post that shows Lasersteve's hood. He processed a lot of material for a lot of years with just a simple setup of one hood.

Always remember this:KISS
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

What I am saying is this for acid
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=2C863&op=search&Ntt=2C863&N=0&sst=All
Note: This blower is 409 dollars in Canada. Isn't that absurd

The main reason for the price on this is because it is for a commercial application, they can afford to spend money like this. It is desighned to take the abuse of a commercial environment. This thing does not come with a motor, I guess you have seen that? Wit hthe motor that it is recomending I will say this blower moves 800-1200 CFM. Do you need that much airflow?

This for second hood.
But it will also be exposed to acid because I will have it running as a secondary fume hood to pick up things that escape the first blower

I would not use this blower it is not desighned for what you are wanting to do. Unless someone just gives you one.

Take this into context: A regular bathroom exhaust fan moves about 50 CFM. Go to your bathroom if you have a fan in there and look at it. Ther will be a 6"x6"(.5 sq. ft.) plastic screen you can gently pull down and look at the fan and the blower on it. Turn the fan on and feel the air flow. Doing this will give you an idea on the air movement you are trying to achive. That is the same amount of air movement that has been recomended here. 100 CFM!

Just to add this note: At the local commuity college back a few years (12) they installed a science lab. They had 3 vent systems installed using blowers like the first one you are asking about but about 2 times the size. Stainless steel piping and all the bells and whistles for 6 lab tables. If I remember right I charged them around $32,000 to install the system. :roll:

Barren Realms 007 said:
Just to add this note: At the local commuity college back a few years (12) they installed a science lab. They had 3 vent systems installed using blowers like the first one you are asking about but about 2 times the size. Stainless steel piping and all the bells and whistles for 6 lab tables. If I remember right I charged them around $32,000 to install the system

Stainless steel pipe for a fume hood? This was not the exhaust I hope, or am I missing something?

Oz said:
Barren Realms 007 said:
Just to add this note: At the local commuity college back a few years (12) they installed a science lab. They had 3 vent systems installed using blowers like the first one you are asking about but about 2 times the size. Stainless steel piping and all the bells and whistles for 6 lab tables. If I remember right I charged them around $32,000 to install the system

Stainless steel pipe for a fume hood? This was not the exhaust I hope, or am I missing something?

Nope you didn't miss anything stainless steel was what was put in. I didn't recomend it the architect of the job did. I already knew at the time it was being installed what acid would do to SS because I had seen a 5 gal bucket of 3/4"
304 SS bolts that HCL had eaten the chromium out of them and left them hollow. Found that out when I left them in the bucket for a few days to clean them up at the chemical plant I had worked at. Man was that expensive and glad it didn't come out of my pocket. :oops:

We also installed a drain system with acid resistant piping. The hubs & sockets of the pipe were welded together by meting the plastic with a welder. The hubs had metal wire in them that you hooked a machine up to weld the pipe together. The piping drained into an underground tank with limestone that neutralized the acid. And then ran to the building sanitary sewer system. This was not included in the price I quote in the previous message, it like the venting system was just a small part of the total job. I think I still have some of those fittings too.

I have spent a lot of years in construction so I understand “the architect spec” you had to build to. After all, the architect is paid for his or her knowledge and you are just the grunt. Your story even gets worse when you mention their waste acid disposal. I guess they do not mind heavy metals in their sewage plants?

I have to ask since you said it was 12 years ago, have you been back to see the results? Depending on the use (being a school with very benign use) it may be intact.

Oz said:
I have spent a lot of years in construction so I understand “the architect spec” you had to build to. After all, the architect is paid for his or her knowledge and you are just the grunt. Your story even gets worse when you mention their waste acid disposal. I guess they do not mind heavy metals in their sewage plants?

I have to ask since you said it was 12 years ago, have you been back to see the results? Depending on the use (being a school with very benign use) it may be intact.

Yes the College is still intact. As far as I know the equipment is still in place. I can look out my upstairs window and see the building. That work is my pride and joy :p . I am not sure to what extent they use the equipment because I never see the college advertise for enrolment in any courses that would use the equipment. Maybe I should go back to school and find out. They are in the process of teaching the production of Bio Diesel, seems to be a big ta do around here about it.

Oz, I"m not sure what kind of construction you do. But you probably know what I do as I have posted it here. In my line of work some one turns on a switch and a light comes on, they flush a commode or wash there hands, They turn their thermostat on to get cooled or heated. As long as these things work people take them for granted and never give them a second thought till these things don't work. This building I have been discussing was the 1st building to be remodeled on the campus, we did the plumbing and HVAC. We did the 2nd phase of remodel on the next building and in the middle of the project they decided to put a fountain in front of the college. It's not the Bilagio fountain by any means. But to put it in and watch people sit around between classes and enjoy this thing is the eye of my life. I get to drive by all the time and know that people appreciate a part of what I have done. We used up to 10" SCH 80 pipe. They originally had desighned the piping in COPPER. But by this time the architect had worked with me long enough that I had his trust. I convinced them to do the job in SCH 80 at a reduced cost and still made 20% more than I would have from the original bid. If I remember right by the time we were finished with the fountain the price tag was $180,000. Concrete work and everything. If my memory serve me our price on it was around $64,000. That fountain paid for 2 good vehicles :twisted: . I can't keep a name, face or telephone # in my head because I can look them up, but I can get close to remembering the cost of jobs that I have done.

I wasn't suggesting the college collapsed but their vents might leak or (better yet for you) may need to be replaced due to corrosion.

I can't say I paid close attention to your construction work on the forum but to give you an idea of my “high end” work I used to be a superintendent on projects that were city blocks in scope in Georgetown Washington D.C., where an outdoor parking pad can cost well in excess of $100,000.00.

Some of my big battles were with those of great education but little practical knowledge. At times I would find architects or engineers that valued my experience in the field over their degrees in a classroom but they were rare. Most were also unprepared for someone that was self educated that could ask technical questions that they could not answer without “looking into it”.

I can appreciate having a pride and joy nearby that you helped build. I must confess to enjoying the copious consumption of others allowing me to work with paduk and mahogany floors inlaid with brass and baths where the floors in marble were insufficient if the walls were not treated the same. What they called a condo was to me less than a 1 bedroom apartment in size but would sell for over $750,000.00 w/o parking. A real apartment with 2 bedrooms was 1.5-2 million.

For me? I live in the country a 2 hours drive away from that mess and would never wish to live within that environment. Yes I liked the money they paid me when the economy was good, I wonder at times how they are doing today.

I just had a thought, yea it happens.

This was a school? I hope it was a private school with high tuition to pay for fountains and such.

And people wonder why it costs so much to park in a city.

Nope not a private college,it's a public college. That second phase project was paid for by an endowment from a family. This cost of that 2nd project was over $10,000,000 cost. The bid on the plumbing and HVAC on that project was 1.13 mil. I got beat on the bod by $1,500.00 but he company was from out of town and they contacted me to see if I wanted to do the plumbing and I said yes to it. :p

I was just stoking my fireplace and was staring at the fire and a thought hit me. It has not been mentioned about the possability of using the material in a pireflace insert that looks like concrete to make a fume/inceneration hood. Any one know what kind of material it is?

Barren Realms 007 said:
I was just stoking my fireplace and was staring at the fire and a thought hit me. It has not been mentioned about the possability of using the material in a pireflace insert that looks like concrete to make a fume/inceneration hood. Any one know what kind of material it is?
A refractory of sorts.

Not a real good idea in that it will respond poorly to acid exposure. If it has Portland cement as part of its make-up, it would be a very poor idea.

Harold

Latest posts

Back