Hunters Chat Room

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Phil

Sounds like you do your own meat processing ? --- if so & if you do any smoking & canning you gotta try this one on some bear meat - you & everyone else will love it :!:

Put a light sugar cure on it for a day - then put it in the smoker for just a couple hours (you just want a light kipper type smoke on it) then cube it up & put it in your canning jars & can it --- canning makes it melt in you mouth & brings out the flavor of the cure/smoke (which is why you only want to do a light cure/smoke)

Yummmmm Goooood :mrgreen:

I just finished 21 quarts of canned venison from this years harvest 8) (also just butchered a cow) freezer is full :mrgreen:

Kurt

yar said:
Shark have you tried Nosler with ballistic tips. Good penetration and expansion after impact. I used them in my .270 with a 130gr bullet. I moved up to a .308 with 150gr bullet and if shot placement is good it only takes one shot to put down a deer. They are a bit pricey but I only use them in the field. For sighting in I shoot Remington soft points. Where I hunt its heavy woods so a shot longer than 70 yards is rare, so the rounds use to sight in do not make a difference.

Yes, I have tried them and do use them for them deer, when I hunt which isn't much anymore. I had been shooting the Nosler Partition, but had ran out and couldn't find any at the time on short notice. In both cases I had ended up using the Hornady Superformance loads with their bonded core bullets. The Partition is a great bullet and the "H" type core will stay together under extreme conditions and still provide proper expansion. If I get another chance to make that kind of trip again, I would like to try the new GMX bullet from Hornady.

Hey Phil

Sounds like you do your own meat processing ? --- if so & if you do any smoking & canning you gotta try this one on some bear meat - you & everyone else will love it

Put a light sugar cure on it for a day - then put it in the smoker for just a couple hours (you just want a light kipper type smoke on it) then cube it up & put it in your canning jars & can it --- canning makes it melt in you mouth & brings out the flavor of the cure/smoke (which is why you only want to do a light cure/smoke)

Yummmmm Goooood

I just finished 21 quarts of canned venison from this years harvest (also just butchered a cow) freezer is full

KurtTop Report this postReply with quote

Kurt that sounds good!
My son does all the butchering and prep of the meats. This season, though, we took our animals to an excellent meat house and they de-boned and packaged it. We made alot of jalapeno/cheddar & Luisiana Cajun bratts and ground meat. Awesome stuff! :mrgreen:
I'll e-mail your "recipe" to him, he loves trying new ways of preserving the meat.

Thanks!

My son and I like to use FEDERAL PREMIUM VITAL-SHOCK; it's also a bit more expensive, but worth every penny!
I get it in 7mm REM. MAG 160grain Nosler ACCUBOND. My son, in 300 SHORT MAG.
We have to make long shots for bears out here, and those rounds are perfect for longer distance shots. My son's kills have been anywhere fron 200 yds. to 250 yds.; mine were 340 yds.; I just got lucky... TWICE!!! :mrgreen:

I haven't used the Accubond on game, but they shoot very well. I have tried several loads with them at the range, and was pretty impressed with their accuracy. I have a few box's put back, never know when you will find something good to eat. :lol:

Your Cajan sausages, were they the Bodan type. I love those those things and can't get them here. I tried making some, and just couldn't get them right.

OK guys - I know I am not the only hunter on the forum & its that time of the year --- soooo lets see some pics & hear some stories :!:

This is the result of my yesterday evening bow hunt which was my second time out this season --- bow season here in Wisconsin actually started September 17th but I like to wait till later in the season when the temps cool down & the rut is getting started

This guy is no monster &/or nothing to brag about - but its meat in the freezer - & like an old timer told me back when was first old enough to start hunting - "those horns don't even make good soup" :lol:

The bummer in the story is I went out Thursday for the first time & I had a doe come in right under my tree stand - but - I saw a nice size buck coming in from a ways off also & he was coming right in my direction - so I sat there waiting hoping he would come in where I could get a shot at him - I could tell he was at least "starting" into rut because he keep putting his nose in the air & smelling around

Well he did come in close - but not quite close enough for a shot - AND - he was a "real" nice 8 pointer - heavy beams, high tines --- Apparently the doe was not in heat yet because he kept smelling & pawed at the ground a couple times & then lost interest & wondered off instead of coming all the way in where I could get the shot - & by this time the doe had also wondered out of shooting range :(

Oh well --- I guess that's why they call it hunting & not shopping :lol:

I guess I could have let this guy go last night because there is still plenty of time in the season & it is likely that I will see the 8 pointer &/or some other big buck before its all over - but I have never been real big on trophy hunting anyway - I hunt to put meat in the freezer - which I now have & I still have 2 doe tags fill

Kurt

Attachments

• WP_20161023_09_21_39_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20161023_09_21_39_Pro[1].jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 310
I'm not a trophy hunter either. The old, big bucks have impressive racks and they're bigger, but the young ones are better eating to me. Nice little eater there! 8)

Sadly, when my wife's dad passed away, the family sold the land I used to hunt, and I don't feel safe hunting public land around here. Too many idiots out there taking "sound" shots.

Dave

philddreamer said:
Hey Phil

Sounds like you do your own meat processing ? --- if so & if you do any smoking & canning you gotta try this one on some bear meat - you & everyone else will love it

Yummmmm Goooood

I just finished 21 quarts of canned venison from this years harvest (also just butchered a cow) freezer is full

KurtTop Report this postReply with quote

Kurt that sounds good!
My son does all the butchering and prep of the meats. This season, though, we took our animals to an excellent meat house and they de-boned and packaged it. We made alot of jalapeno/cheddar & Luisiana Cajun bratts and ground meat. Awesome stuff! :mrgreen:
I'll e-mail your "recipe" to him, he loves trying new ways of preserving the meat.

Thanks!
Dang Phil, them jalapeño/cheddar and Louisiana bratts sound amazing!! We do a lot of jalapeño/cheddar deer summer sausage here and it'll make your tongue beat your face off trying to get a taste..Oh and Caribbean jerk bacon wrapped backstrap in the grill. Good God it's so good. I have em circling my grill like buzzards. Lol

FrugalRefiner said:
I'm not a trophy hunter either. The old, big bucks have impressive racks and they're bigger, but the young ones are better eating to me. Nice little eater there! 8)

Sadly, when my wife's dad passed away, the family sold the land I used to hunt, and I don't feel safe hunting public land around here. Too many idiots out there taking "sound" shots.

Dave

Is that what I have heard referred to as "rustle hunting" Dave? A guy I go hunting with over here (deer control for an Airbase) once went out with some visiting US airmen and within 15 mins handed his gun back and left when one of them heard a noise and pumped three rounds from a .243 into a clump of foliage without knowing what was there or behind it...

We do have guns over here fellas we just have to apply for a licence for them. :D

anachronism said:
FrugalRefiner said:

Dave

Is that what I have heard referred to as "rustle hunting" Dave? A guy I go hunting with over here (deer control for an Airbase) once went out with some visiting US airmen and within 15 mins handed his gun back and left when one of them heard a noise and pumped three rounds from a .243 into a clump of foliage without knowing what was there or behind it...

We do have guns over here fellas we just have to apply for a licence for them. :D

Yap - that's it - you get some real nut jobs hunting public lands during the gun season - bow season is not so bad as there are a LOT fewer bow hunters AND with bow you have to have your deer in "very" close AND it has to be a "clear" shot --- arrows don't go through brush like bullets

Like Dave I would not hunt the gun season if I didn't have my own property to hunt - & speaking of the gun season I did add a second deer to the freezer - small doe - nothing to brag about - but like I said - I have never been a trophy hunter - meet in the freezer is more important to me then horns hanging on the wall

Kurt

Here you go Kurt.

First Roe of the year. Just before dusk and the hare popped into the field a couple of minutes after the doe was shot. The hare was shot with an air rifle.

Attachments

• First Roe.jpg
    First Roe.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 218
anachronism said:
Yes, I was quite surprised to send a few chamber reamers to Great Britain.

Is it an expensive license? I have enjoyed learning how other countries have handled gun control...but I was still under the assumption that GB was pretty much sporting shotguns in the country only.

Did anyone here see the 47 point buck shot in sumner Tn?
Massive.. Ended up being the world record.

I wonder what that rack would sell for..

http://www.nbc26.com/news/national/gallatin-hunter-bags-47-point-buck
http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2017/01/09/deer-sumner-wold-record/96348008/

Nice rack, but I like good meat better.

snoman701 said:
Is it an expensive license? I have enjoyed learning how other countries have handled gun control...but I was still under the assumption that GB was pretty much sporting shotguns in the country only.

£90 for five years. Soon to be increased to ten years Sno.

Right on Jon - its always a good day in the field when you come home with some meat for the freezer 8) :D

That is one big hare - here in Wisconsin we have the snowshoe hare & cottontail rabbits - the cottontail is only about half the size of the snowshoe which (the snowshoe) is about as big as the hare you show in your pick - hunting the snowshoe is harder then hunting the cottontail

FrugalRefiner said:
That's either a small deer or a big bunny! What do the two weigh approximately?

Dave

Dave

That is a European Roe Deer - They are MUCH smaller then the White Tail, Mule Deer & Black Tail we have here in the states --- they (European Roe Deer) only run about 15 - 35 Kg (33 - 77 lb) with the buck of course being on the bigger end of that

Our Black Tail (common in the pacific northwest) are our smaller deer - but still bigger then the European Roe - after growing up hunting Whitetail in Wisconsin - then when I moved to Northern California the first Black Tail I shot I was surprised how much smaller it was then the Whitetails here in Wisconsin

Here is a couple pics of Black Tails I got - the first pic is the first one I got my first year in Northern California - they tend to run about 40 - 60 lbs lighter then the Whitetails we have in Wisconsin

Kurt

Attachments

• WP_20170115_03_47_52_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20170115_03_47_52_Pro[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 174
  • WP_20170115_03_47_03_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20170115_03_47_03_Pro[1].jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 174

Latest posts

Back