Hunters Chat Room

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't hunting for it, but i found it!

It's been cold for the last several days so I been leaving the heater on in my shop for the cats to stay warm. I came by to feed them tonight and found this guy asleep in my chair!!! The cats were looking at me wondering why he gets to sleep in my chair when I don't even let them. Before I could explain it to the cats he up and waddled off! The cats are looking at me like "ain't you going to do something about this?"

Attachments

• opossum.jpg
    opossum.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 123
Palladium said:
I wasn't hunting for it, but i found it!

It's been cold for the last several days so I been leaving the heater on in my shop for the cats to stay warm. I came by to feed them tonight and found this guy asleep in my chair!!! The cats were looking at me wondering why he gets to sleep in my chair when I don't even let them. Before I could explain it to the cats he up and waddled off! The cats are looking at me like "ain't you going to do something about this?"

Now in my barn that wouldn't have made it out. Them things can get horses very, very sick. They don't mix.

silversaddle1 said:
Now in my barn that wouldn't have made it out. Them things can get horses very, very sick. They don't mix.

Yep, they are some nasty critters. A couple buddies and I once flipped a well bloated young dead heifer off a 4 foot bank into a dry creek bed. High, hot summer. When she hit the bottom, the air came out with a loud hiss. That horrid stench hit us in time to see an opossum come crawling out the back end covered in slime. I've never puked so hard in my life!!

But I can't blame Ralph's new cat for trying get away from the cold. I walked outside this morning and saw a logging chain crawling under the house trying to get warm. Now that's cold! :lol: :lol:

UncleBenBen said:
But I can't blame Ralph's new cat for trying get away from the cold. I walked outside this morning and saw a logging chain crawling under the house trying to get warm. Now that's cold! :lol: :lol:
When it's that cold we cut the tail off our cats...
... not that it gets any warmer but you can close the door faster.

:)

Göran

In keeping with the spirit of safety that is so well stressed on this great forum, I want to mention something that hit way too close to home this week.

On New Year's day a good friend of ours fell out of a tree while hunting. He wasn't wearing a harness. He rarely uses an actual stand, just climbs up a tree straddles a branch. Luckily he was only 20 feet up that particular day, but it was high enough.

He landed on his side. Crushed his hip and pelvis, cracked a few ribs, broke the radius and ulna in his left arm, broke his nose, and knocked some bone fragments loose around his eye socket.

He lay unconscious for close to two hours. The temperature was around 10F. He was able to call his wife. All she could make out was that he was hurt and he didn't know where he was. They were able to ping his phone and found him another hour later very hypothermic. They said another hour and he likely wouldn't have survived.

He will be ok. He's a tough ol' country boy but in a lot of pain. The surgeons rebuilt his hip and pelvis Tuesday. Surgery on his arm today, and repair on his eye socket next week. Six months of therapy to hopefully get him walking normal again.

So moral of the story, if you're going to be hunting off of the ground, wear your harness and tie yourself off! And of course always let someone know where you are going and when you will be back.

Y'all stay safe out there!
Ben

I hope you gave him a slap for being a numpty Ben. That's just Darwin award stuff mate. He's lucky he didn't discharge his firearm. I'm glad he's good though mate. 8)

Jon

g_axelsson said:
When it's that cold we cut the tail off our cats...
... not that it gets any warmer but you can close the door faster.

:)

Göran

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank Goran - that made my day - coming from Wisconsin where it gets down to 20 - 30 (Fahrenheit) below zero with wind chills of 40 -60 below I can actually relate to that :D

Kurt

Ticks are always bad by the time the Yellows are out, that's why I like looking for Black Morel's more. Not even any Black one's here yet...soon though.

galenrog said:
If you can’t eat it all, I know some people near you that can help out.

Our season is just getting started and these are being taken on depredation hunts. If we get any more, (just flat missed one today) I will let you know.

If you get more than you can handle, you can always feel free to send some up to me, especially that little tender one! Yummy!!! I haven't been able to hunt since my wife's family sold her dad's land after he passed away. Hunting on public land around here is just far too dangerous. Too many city folks out there taking "sound shots". :evil:

Dave

Public land scares me, just to many wild shooters out there. These are from private farm lands, they should be real good with all the corn they have been eating. The two we got yesterday are being made into jerky.

Back