Hunters Chat Room

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a link to identification of true morel vs. false morel

To add to my last post - as I said - the true morel looks like a honey comb - the false morel looks more like a brain

https://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/morel-mushroom.html

Kurt

Not sure about Morel(s) but stay away from the wild coffee beans. Taste like sh#$%t
00ac2ea9548cbe2e4c4f1ed42a72ff68.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rickzeien said:
Not sure about Morel(s) but stay away from the wild coffee beans. Taste like sh#$%t

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Like mushroom hunting identification is important - those look like "false" coffee beans :twisted:

For what it is worth today I am putting a brown sugar cure (dry cure) on about 65 pounds of ham & bacon from a pig I just butchered - then it goes in the smoker next week end

So if the wild shrooms come up this week they will go "really" well with ham/bacon fresh out of the smoke

Gota love country living

Or as the song goes "country boy will survive" (Hank Williams Jr) :mrgreen:

Kurt

I will have to recheck the patches of mushrooms to see if I can tell the difference, from what I can tell it would be risky business to eat them after reading an article or two and watching a few youtube videos, we all know how well you can learn to refine from that exercise.

Those coffee beans in the woods are real, they are good indicators of fresh meat if they are a bit wet and fresh, if dried you may have to travel farther to find meat.

When searching the woods for meat, I look for the fresh coffee beans, take them and smear them all over my body and into my clothes, this masks the smell of man (my stink) and allows me to get very close to the meat before taking it.

Talking about backstrap sure is making me hungry, talking about smoking ham sure makes me homesick for my home in Kentucky.

stella polaris said:
Morels can easy be grown by digging down old newspapers in rows. Perhaps something to try if you have your own land. (Should be morels in the area).

I tried this about 20 years ago with a house I had in town on an acre. It did work. There wasn't a ton of them, but I tried it next to a super large oak tree we had, and a few popped up the next year.

The false morels we never really had the issues with of mistaken identity. Most ive seen here have always looked like something completely different. But once you see a morel and a false morel, I think you'd probably feel pretty confident. Like real gold vs pyrite... But is definitely easier to identify those things when you go with someone that is a morel vet lol.

Our usual meat with mushroom tango is a mess of white bass. Usually when the morels are out the whites are running... And a fish fry sounds pretty tasty right now.

This might be completely wrong but just tidbit from someone else. Seems like I had an ole timer tell me once false morels won't have the the little bugs that morels have. Which you cut the morels lengthwise and soak in saltwater, and it gets rid of them easily. Real morels are also hollow including the stem.

Andrew

acpeacemaker said:
Our usual meat with mushroom tango is a mess of white bass. Usually when the morels are out the whites are running... And a fish fry sounds pretty tasty right now.

Crappie season here in southeast Ohio, and yes, a fish fry is in order. Our son brought a catch of fresh crappie a couple of nights ago. Fried them up and made fish tacos. Sooo good!

Dave

Crappie, blackened and fried in hot butter and an iron skillet over an open, very hot fire. Toss is a few morels makes it even better. I wish I still had a way to get them fresh. Dang, now I want to go fishing...and eat.

Oh, how I used to love to fish, fish fresh off a hot fire Mmmmm sounds good.

These are hollow including the stem, but the outside top does not look like it would taste good, no matter how much fish and butter you had, maybe I am wrong.
mushroom2].jpg
mushroom1.jpg
I would rather eat fried squirrel brains, they look better than these mushrooms do, and I know they taste good and are safe to eat...

butcher said:
Oh, how I used to love to fish, fish fresh off a hot fire Mmmmm sounds good.

These are hollow including the stem, but the outside top does not look like it would taste good, no matter how much fish and butter you had, maybe I am wrong.
mushroom2].jpg
mushroom1.jpg
I would rather eat fried squirrel brains, they look better than these mushrooms do, and I know they taste good and are safe to eat...

Hey,
You are correct they probably wouldnt taste good. Those are definitely false morels. Don't eat those :) The color is a good indicator. See how the brainy part still has stem like part going through it on the inside? Morels will be almost always completely hollow.

Yeah, I figured if I ate them I would be running around here like that ole fox who eats all the spoiled meat or the horses I bury, marking his territory on top of every stump in the country, like a bear shh in the woods...

I do not know about edible or tasty but those do look much different, it looks like you a nice mess there to add to a meal. Now I can see why you say like gold and pyrite once you know the difference...

I came here to learn how to refine gold, Now I learn about mushrooms from my friends on the gold refining forum, thanks to you guys, I learn something every day.

kurtak wrote:
During the (work) week it is hard for me to post much due to having a day job - plus this time of the year deer & elk hunting season is coming up so I spend my week ends out in the woods scouting for the up coming hunting seasons -
Indeed!

Bear season started Aug. 1st in Washington state; my wife and I went out our son and his son. Around 8:30 a.m.
BOOOM! BEAR DOWN! :mrgreen: Our grandson saw it and dropped it, 230yds shot.

Attachments

• 20200802_120306.jpg
    20200802_120306.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 123
Absolute scum...

I hope I see you with a rifle to hand one day.

First two shots will be in the legs.... the rest would be impulsive until you stopped breathing.

What has you killing nature for pleasure got to do with refining you complete degenerate?

Also Phil...

This post was Edited the content deleted and JMK banned.

Butcher.

Any other moderator wishing to remove this ban and educate JMK on the forum rules and conducting himself properly on this public forum is welcome to do so.

It has been a while, but I have not forgot how to fish it seems. Been going with a buddy and having some success. This is the first time I have fished in over three years and it felt good, even if we did release them.

IMG_0378.jpgIMG_0331.jpg

JMK!
This was totally uncalled for, if we have a beef with anyone else in the forum, take in PM.
I agree it is the wrong thread for this, we have a hunters cahtroom.
On the other hand, it is sensible and wise to harvest what nature provides for us, as long as it is done in a responsible way.
This kind of rambling would land you in jail in many parts of the world.
What it may lead to in here, I really don't know.

Back