Iridium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ashir said:
Lino1406 said:
1. Palladium sulphate and silver sulphate have some solubility. Can be checked e.g. by saturation with sodium acetate
2. Iridium and rhodium will show if they're in the nano sizes (personal experience)

Will get more guide from you as I decant h2so4. Thanks alot
Still having problem to get oxone, preparing is batter idea but chemicals are hard to avail due to recent situations.
Any alternative? I was ordering oxone and still I want do it some day!!!!!

Lino1406 said:
"Ashes from the universe"
Reason for iron and iridium resemblance a similar hybridization of electrons.
Iridium has indeed magnetic properties. Watch this Indian "old trick"
Lino if you do'nt mind I want explain some of info related to your this post,
192ir( isotops) is radio active ( gamma rays emitter)
As highly dangerous as other isoptops even cause cancer and death
It is found IR+copper in the coins you show us( thanks for pic)
Famously in India known as RICE PULLER
Seen it is sold on heighest prices in India and shown as it attract or pull the rice
Rice have the carbons and IR pull it( don't know when it was written attract rice)
It is used by NASA and somewhere used in military warheads!

Thi pic you show cost million dollars in India and other parts of subcontinent(even heard it has same price in Russia and Arab countries) and commonly said mysterious product.

These were the infos I got during search of IR. And the search make understand your words more batter
It's not related to refining but I share it for information.
Thanks to lino again

Positive. Potassium mono persulfate 43% ( pool non chlorine oxidiser) KHSO5 is same. Chlorine (or bromine) ions presence is essential

I have not gone through all the answers but I have xrf and mass spectrometer saying I have Iridium. I also have had frozen cupel buttons. I can see some signs of a button in a button. I have seen a way to make a small arc furnace on Youtube using furnace bricks and graphite carbon rods but I did not know the tempitures it hit and it is volatile Ir at some point so I am confused by conflicting info?

I have not gone through all the answers but I have xrf and mass spectrometer saying I have Iridium. I also have had frozen cupel buttons. I can see some signs of a button in a button. I have seen a way to make a small arc furnace on Youtube using furnace bricks and graphite carbon rods but I did not know the tempitures it hit and it is volatile Ir at some point so I am confused by conflicting info?
The melting point for Ir is almost 2500 C
So it should be safe to say it is not very volatile.

But as Os has a mp of more than 3000C it should not be volatile as metal.
But if it reacts with Oxygen and creates Osmium tetraoxide it is very volatile and toxic.

Not an issue with Ir that pracically do not react with anything.

When using XRF on ores it is paramount to have a full library setup and welll calibrated with a skilled operator.
Better to have a proper NiS assay done.

Despite the difficulty, as chlorides play the initial stage in stannous chloride test, with
IrCl3 = olive green should be present
I was boiling some ore in aqua Regia there was a very green color when I filtered it. It was from a rock XRF with platinum group metals.

I was boiling some ore in aqua Regia there was a very green color when I filtered it. It was from a rock XRF with platinum group metals.
You do not Boil Ores in AR especially if it has not had an NiS assay as XRFs are prone to assigning Arsenic as Ir or Rh.
So please get a proper assay!

And Copper and Nickel will give green blueish color in AR.
Stannous color is not the same as AR solution color.

Stanous was red brown indicating copper. At this point of studying and trying I feel like I know enough to be dangerous not confident. It is one thing to go after gold and silver but these platinum metals are a whole different level.

Stanous was red brown indicating copper. At this point of studying and trying I feel like I know enough to be dangerous not confident. It is one thing to go after gold and silver but these platinum metals are a whole different level.
A couple of points if I may Allen. Yggs advice about checking the spectrum of your ore before boiling it in acid is valid. There was at least one member on here who said, as you did that he was confident there was no arsenic and returned to the forum a few months later with severe arsenic poisoning before disappearing.

Please do check and verify.

Jon

A couple of points if I may Allen. Yggs advice about checking the spectrum of your ore before boiling it in acid is valid. There was at least one member on here who said, as you did that he was confident there was no arsenic and returned to the forum a few months later with severe arsenic poisoning before disappearing.

Please do check and verify.

Jon
I remember that guy, Jon, and several others like him.

Do yourself a favor, Allen. Throw all your knowledge and experience away. Boiling an ore of unknown content in aqua regia could kill you. Or worse.

Time for more coffee.

Latest posts

Back