Platuim ore

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told that this is one of the highest grade platinum ores one can find, but it isn't used as a ore but rather as decorative cover. Also, it also shines quite a lot, i actually want to do a tiny test on it since a good while but i lack nitric for now. While it did get some iron out of it in the aquarium, it stayed mostly the same.

Attachments

• IMG_20230329_193022.jpg
    IMG_20230329_193022.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230329_193117.jpg
    IMG_20230329_193117.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I was told that this is one of the highest grade platinum ores one can find, but it isn't used as a ore but rather as decorative cover. Also, it also shines quite a lot, i actually want to do a tiny test on it since a good while but i lack nitric for now.
For testing purposes HCl and strong Peroxide or pool Chlorine will do.
Break off a tiny piece and crush it as fine as you can. Then put the powders in enough HCl to cover it in a small beaker with a lid. Then add a few drops Peroxide and heat a bit, if Chlorine room temperature is ok. Keep the lid on. Add a drop of Peroxide or Chlorine now and then.
After there is no more reaction or a day or two filter it and test with Stannous.

Can't yet get strong peroxide but pool chlorine will do, will plastic bottle do it or should i use glass? I thought mixing hcl and chlorine would result in mustard gas. I do contain my small reactions in a bigger bucket with water so i should be fine in any case. This remembers me i gotta make some stannous test solution, i haven't yet had any need for it.

I was told that this is one of the highest grade platinum ores one can find, but it isn't used as a ore but rather as decorative cover. Also, it also shines quite a lot, i actually want to do a tiny test on it since a good while but i lack nitric for now. While it did get some iron out of it in the aquarium, it stayed mostly the same.
Where did you acquire it?
That can say a bit.

Can't yet get strong peroxide but pool chlorine will do, will plastic bottle do it or should i use glass? I thought mixing hcl and chlorine would result in mustard gas. I do contain my small reactions in a bigger bucket with water so i should be fine in any case. This remembers me i gotta make some stannous test solution, i haven't yet had any need for it.
No, but if you overdo it you will have free Chlorine gas which was used as a chemical weapon.
We want the Chlorine to be in the liquid not in the air, it will not be useful there.

That makes quite a bit of sense, and i now understood why you said to add a drop from time to time.
I found them while at work and had a small conversation about them. So they basically were on a wall as decoration, say 2 square meters of them quite scarce. I was told each plaque should be around 20e.

Your source for peroxide could be food grade at 35%, or beauty shop "developer" V40 at 12%

For pool Chlorine or other non heated reactions a PP/HDPE or better bottle will do.

I had beauty shop peroxide in mind, but i honestly wanna go after the explosive precursor permit and not have to go with half way measures. I can get up to 12% peroxide from a trustworthy vendor. Can't get nitric but i can easily get sodium nitrate.

Yes you can test Platinum and Palladium with peroxide. ..I really had hopes for this site not to be infiltrated by either truly ignorant people who really don't know what they are talkin about, or, the war on true and correct information intenifies.

Sir, the periodic table has all the densities of the minerals under 'mass'.

Au 19.6
Ag 10.7
Cu 6.3
Ni 5.8

Would you dare to tell me I'm wrong?
Lol....
I just picked up on this one, and I'll say you are wrong
Au 19.3
Ag 10.49
Cu 8.96
Ni 8.908
Pd 12.023
Pt 21.45
So if you are going to bash people make sure to get your facts straight.
If not you are the one looking bad afterwards.

I just picked up on this one, and I'll say you are wrong
Au 19.3
Ag 10.49
Cu 8.96
Ni 8.908
Pd 12.023
Pt 21.45
So if you are going to bash people make sure to get your facts straight.
If not you are the one looking bad afterwards.
The confusion here may be that the periodic table also lists the atomic mass, and copper is 63.5 g/mol, while nickel is 58.7 g/mol. The volumetric density (g/cc) of both metals is indeed nearly equal at 8.92 and 8.91 g/cc.

The confusion here may be that the periodic table also lists the atomic mass, and copper is 63.5 g/mol, while nickel is 58.7 g/mol. The volumetric density (g/cc) of both metals is indeed nearly equal at 8.92 and 8.91 g/cc.
I know, but he was confronting me and more or less calling me out.
From Research Underdog:

Yes you can test Platinum and Palladium with peroxide. ..I really had hopes for this site not to be infiltrated by either truly ignorant people who really don't know what they are talkin about, or, the war on true and correct information intenifies.

Sir, the periodic table has all the densities of the minerals under 'mass'.

Au 19.6
Ag 10.7
Cu 6.3
Ni 5.8

Would you dare to tell me I'm wrong?
Lol....
So got the facts and presented it, and dared calling him wrong!

I had beauty shop peroxide in mind, but i honestly wanna go after the explosive precursor permit and not have to go with half way measures. I can get up to 12% peroxide from a trustworthy vendor. Can't get nitric but i can easily get sodium nitrate.
I do hope you can get one. There may be a lot more to the permit than you think.
Is the area where you live designated for chemical buisinesses? if not, do you have a place in an industrial area?
Can you provide a risk assesment for the surrounding area and the gasses you will expell in an emergency situation like a fire ( even one next door, or natural forest fire)?
Do you have the proper storage facility with safety measures for the chemicals and waste?
Once authorities find out you're refining pm's, you will have to provide an administration proving the source of you gold, and where you sold it, how much you're going to have to pay on taxes, have a good waste disposal plan, etc. etc. it can be done, but may prove to be not so much fun as a hobby anymore.
There are laws preventing trade in bouillon to keep criminals down, hence the move to digital money all around the world.
Once you've applied for a permit and it get's denied, prepare to be visited to check on your activities.

Guys if you test few drops of a solution in a piece of paper filter with Stannous chloride.

at the beginning is brown then is turning into a nice green color
that could be palladium in that solution?

I don’t have pictures to show at this moment

I was working with some ore that i found

I simply can't resist praising this eloquent gentleman.
True....however that's easy to figure out.
Platinum density - 19.6 gc3
Palladium density -10.6
Speaking of disinfo; you're spreading it!

I loathe anyone who lies to keep someone down...
Like you just now did? Are you consciously self-loathing?
here in Seattle, only 1 PLACE TELLS THE TRUTH.
YOUR TRUTH?
Forgive the rant but I had to let loose.
You should have apologized without the added fecies .
This post will haunt you for eternity, no forgiveness, It's etched permanently upon our collective memory. 😘
When Googles AI comes out soon (gonna be a shock) it will know anything and everything...
Its gonna expose all the soon to be diaper wearing M=&#^r *Fu#&%rs
I bet you're one of them. Scared? Karma also does take care of a lot of things if the google bot doesn't. No worries.
Sorry for the rant but I was in a coin forum yesterday, and the debate about nickel and copper being the same density!! Such evil
Calling one names and being outride rude and then apologizing for it in the same post? Maybe you should return to that forum... seems to fit you better.

I will not apologize for this post. I have read it a couple of times and I completely agree with myself.

Your lack of respect and use of language is reason for a time out or ban imo.

Have a great day!

Martijn.

Guys if you test few drops of a solution in a piece of paper filter with Stannous chloride.

It could be Copper chloride ( CuCL) that turns into Cu2Cl, it could be Pd. Or something completely different.
But others will have to confirm, I have no Pd experience, nor do i want to. Scary stuff, PGM's.

Where does the solution come from? (source materials)>so what went in? what is the color of the solution? Do you expect to find Pd in this one?

Martijn.

Here is one of the possibilities for Pd in Stannous
1680263789968.png

Latest posts

Back