Processing SilverPlate With H2O Cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive read of cells that use relatively high voltage (28v) but low amps. if i never do anything else, i am going to learn the different volts potential for each metal.

Since there is a small amount of chloride in tap water, there could be some silver chloride in the sludge. The recommended upper EPA limit for chlorides in drinking water is 250mg/l. With that, about 0.75g of silver per liter could be precipitated as silver chloride. If you reuse the water, the chlorides should be gone and no AgCl would be present after the first batch.

It may be like the sulfuric cell and partially short out with a lot of metallic particles floating in the solution. It would be very advantageous to a have an ammeter rigged in series with the cell and monitor it often. That way, you could probably tell when it needs harvesting.

GSP

If the black powder is Silver oxide what kind of effect would the Hcl acid have on it.Would or should it cause another state change.Just wondering some of the things that I should look for when I do the powder test.I haven't ever dealt with silver oxide that I'm aware of.Something else that would be helpful ,what state is the gold in when it comes off in the sulfuric cell.Is it considered Gold oxide when in it's black powder form also.If so my other theory works for gold cell without the use of acids.
Your right about the chlorides being gone ,except for the factor that I'm reintroduceing them to the cell when I rinse with spray bottle.I'll start rinseing to an outside container and see if anything changes.
Thanks for the insightful Knowledge and if your able to can you try too answer my above questions.

Geo

I'm going to buy me some much needed supplies at income tax time.This will include a very nice power supply with duel meters for volts and amps.I intend to do many more tests on my theories,so I can share the Knowledge with everyone.Right now I consider the 12 volts pretty high for the little 2.5 amps that my power supply is putting out.But until that time comes I'll have to be satisfied with what I got,which for the results so far I am.
Well thanks again for your support and input,Got to get started on those videos.

modtheworld44

modtheworld44 said:
GSP

If the black powder is Silver oxide what kind of effect would the Hcl acid have on it.Would or should it cause another state change.Just wondering some of the things that I should look for when I do the powder test.I haven't ever dealt with silver oxide that I'm aware of.Something else that would be helpful ,what state is the gold in when it comes off in the sulfuric cell.Is it considered Gold oxide when in it's black powder form also.If so my other theory works for gold cell without the use of acids.
Your right about the chlorides being gone ,except for the factor that I'm reintroduceing them to the cell when I rinse with spray bottle.I'll start rinseing to an outside container and see if anything changes.
Thanks for the insightful Knowledge and if your able to can you try too answer my above questions.

Geo

I'm going to buy me some much needed supplies at income tax time.This will include a very nice power supply with duel meters for volts and amps.I intend to do many more tests on my theories,so I can share the Knowledge with everyone.Right now I consider the 12 volts pretty high for the little 2.5 amps that my power supply is putting out.But until that time comes I'll have to be satisfied with what I got,which for the results so far I am.
Well thanks again for your support and input,Got to get started on those videos.

modtheworld44
The silver oxide would dissolve in the HCl and then immediately form silver chloride. When you melt the silver, the AgCl will form a layer between the slag and the silver. If that happens, you will have great difficulties recovering it. I would avoid using anything with chlorides in it. Have you tried making the bath with distilled water? Might be interesting. You could also use distilled water to rinse the electrodes. A cheap brand of distilled water costs about $.69/gallon. You could also buy RO water from one of those machines in a grocery store where you bring your own jug. Cheaper still. It's quite pure and I can't see how any chlorides would be in it.

The black gold in the sulfuric cell is metallic gold. It looks black because the particles are so small, the eye can't discern them. Under a 1000x scope, the particles probably look golden.

Geo
Thanks for posting both,You just beat me to the 4 one while I was posting it .Now I know for sure its the youtube button! You sure are fast LOL.

modtheworld44

Geo said:
:lol: you said post. i aim to please.

Geo

:mrgreen: Well your aim was true,because I'm pleased!
So what did you think of my videos,were they way off on the theory or what?
Let me know please I like reading your input and your analysis .
Thanks.

modtheworld44

when you added hcl to the clear liquid and it didnt make a white cloud means there was no nitrate (silver nitrate) in the solution. the slight reaction when you added the hcl to the powders was the silver oxide converting to silver chloride. since the reaction was very subdued means there wasnt much silver oxide in the mix. that leads me to believe that the powder is mostly elemental silver. its coming off the spoon in metal form instead of a salt. either that or somehow converting to metal after oxidizing.i dont see that happening.

Geo said:
when you added hcl to the clear liquid and it didnt make a white cloud means there was no nitrate (silver nitrate) in the solution. the slight reaction when you added the hcl to the powders was the silver oxide converting to silver chloride. since the reaction was very subdued means there wasnt much silver oxide in the mix. that leads me to believe that the powder is mostly elemental silver. its coming off the spoon in metal form instead of a salt. either that or somehow converting to metal after oxidizing.i dont see that happening.

Geo

I noticed after I filmed the Forth video and started to clean up the powder bowl.That the white powder when rinsed is actually silver metal powders,because it doesn't have the floaty quality like silver chloride it sank to the bottom.I think next melt I'm going to clean the black powders in Hcl before the melt.I went ahead and melted the powders that I had intended to shoot the melt video with last night because I became to tired to melt and film at the same time.I did how ever Weigh the black powders at 5.4 grams and that gave me another 3.2 gram button now my total is 9.5 grams.I'm going to eventually melt all my buttons together.I did change another variable by running two Anodes on the same clamp which seems to be working,hopefully this will speed up production.This cell although it works is slow compared to other cells,I'm at the conclusion that more power is needed to speed things up a bit.I'm thinking 24volts and 9-10amps would probably do the job much faster.
Have you started your cell yet Geo?If so what do you see happening?
Well thanks again for your input and help.

modtheworld44

Try to run the same experiment with a piece of pure silver, then we can say if the base metal have something to do with the result or if this is only depending on the silver.

/Göran

g_axelsson said:
Try to run the same experiment with a piece of pure silver, then we can say if the base metal have something to do with the result or if this is only depending on the silver.

/Göran
I agree. Weigh the silver before and after.

goldsilverpro said:
g_axelsson said:

/Göran
I agree. Weigh the silver before and after.

GSP,g_axelsson

Ok, just put 925 drummerboy charm in the cell and start weight was 1.9 grams.

Would you like a video of this?

Thanks guys for your input,me and Geo were starting to get a little lonely in here LOL. :mrgreen:

modtheworld44

jimdoc said:
925 is sterling and is not pure, it will still have copper in it.

Jim

jimdoc

Your right ,I just like using 925 because it takes less time to type for me LOL I'm slow as a turtle when typeing . Thanks for joining in and subscribeing to my Youtube channel it really means alot.

modtheworld44

modtheworld44 said:
jimdoc said:
925 is sterling and is not pure, it will still have copper in it.
Jim
jimdoc
Your right ,I just like using 925 because it takes less time to type for me LOL I'm slow as a turtle when typeing . Thanks for joining in and subscribeing to my Youtube channel it really means alot.
modtheworld44

I was mainly pointing out that g_axelsson suggested using "pure silver" in the experiment.
Like maybe a silver eagle or other 999 coin.

Thanks for sharing your experiments, they are very interesting.
Jim

Back