Processing SilverPlate With H2O Cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I for one would like to see a video of it.
I have been following since your 1st post.

Regards Duke
modtheworld44 said:
goldsilverpro said:
g_axelsson said:
Try to run the same experiment with a piece of pure silver, then we can say if the base metal have something to do with the result or if this is only depending on the silver.

/Göran
I agree. Weigh the silver before and after.

GSP,g_axelsson

Ok, just put 925 drummerboy charm in the cell and start weight was 1.9 grams.

Would you like a video of this?

Thanks guys for your input,me and Geo were starting to get a little lonely in here LOL. :mrgreen:

modtheworld44

Hello All of you.

This is very cool, especially if could work for others then modtheworld.
I should say thank you modtheworld, course it dos seme to work for me allso.

First i tryed with a small 9v battery, and something did happen, but very slow. Then i went dawn in my car to get a car battery charger.
I hooket it up like modtheworld suggestet, i sat the volt at 24-on slow sitting, and the proces got a lot faster.
I startet to see some kind of heavy fog in the water, slowly falling to the bottem of my glas bowl, then after a couple of minuttes, some blackish/dark gray stof falling dawn from my silver platet spoon, witch wos conected to the possetive lead+. I guess thats the silver comming of right? I allso se some small bubling from the negative lead.
My water has a ph of 7,2. And its "hard" water here in Copenhagen where i live.
I can tell that the process is very slow, and it seems to get slower when i submerg the spoon fully in the water. Course at first, i only had an inch dippet in the water, and this grayish stof startet to fall of in maybe 3-4min, now that its fully submerget, it goes a lot slower.

Hope you all can read and understand my poor english.

modtheworld44 said:
For All
Heres video 5 of the cell series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfm-oRlT0OI

modtheworld44

Thanks for the video's,I think this process is much safer for us newbies to use, before progressing to acids.

Duke

Edited for corection. It still works, i just needet to brush of the plating that ocoured on my catode- i thuoght is whos deplating to, but it whos not.

TheGarbageManCan said:
Edited for corection. It still works, i just needet to brush of the plating that ocoured on my catode- i thuoght is whos deplating to, but it whos not.

TheGarbageManCan

I'm glad you have decided to take part in this project.Can you tell me about how long its taking for the silver to plate out for you.You are using 24volts right.

dukesoz

That was why I first tried this cell,Because for new people that come to the forum its very safe and is a good starting point.The newbies could start here and while they let there cell run they can start reading Hoke and the forum.I aways do at least 3 full weeks of research before I start a major project.When I started Refining I done a full month and a half.I do research every day,The more you read the more Knowledge you gain.

modtheworld44

Hello modtheworld.

I cant really tell yet since i'm having truble seeing when the silver plate is all gone. I need more experiance in deplating plated silver to know when to stop. I just let it sit maybe 1,5 hour, and then turn the peaces( iam working on plated cups atm) allso i think (without having mutch experience) that the plate on my stuff is really thin.!

One thing- my h2o solution, is milky white, with thise milky withe fine partikels floading around. I dos'nt look like yours in your videos?
Is all thise small partikles floading, my silver?

One more question, do you think its posibel to leave it in too long?

TheGarbageManCan said:
Hello modtheworld.

I cant really tell yet since i'm having truble seeing when the silver plate is all gone. I need more experiance in deplating plated silver to know when to stop. I just let it sit maybe 1,5 hour, and then turn the peaces( iam working on plated cups atm) allso i think (without having mutch experience) that the plate on my stuff is really thin.!

One thing- my h2o solution, is milky white, with thise milky withe fine partikels floading around. I dos'nt look like yours in your videos?
Is all thise small partikles floading, my silver?

One more question, do you think its posibel to leave it in too long?

TheGarbageManCan

The solution will be milky white until you stir and clean Anode back into the cell for the first time.I clean and rotate my Anode after the growth builds up pretty thick.When cleaning Anode,spray and brush it good then wipe a small section with rag , you should see a shiney silver white metal this is where it is deplated.Hope this helps if not let me know.
Thanks for sharing your progress and your support.

P.S. I have left mine in overnight and it doesn't seem to make a difference except that theres alot of growth by the time I get up.

modtheworld44

Ok thank you modtheworld!

I should say that i'm really impresset by this method! Water, curent and time, Thats all!

Now its time to find out whats really going on, and see where improovements cant be addet.

I wanna ask if there is any safety conserns whit doing this? Exept the use of electricite?
And i allso would like to know in what "state" the precipitated silver is on the bottem of my glasbowl? Can i just collect it and melt right away with some kind of flux, and then refine the bar later on?

Kudos to you modtheworld!!

TheGarbageManCan said:
Ok thank you modtheworld!

I should say that i'm really impresset by this method! Water, curent and time, Thats all!

Now its time to find out whats really going on, and see where improovements cant be addet.

I wanna ask if there is any safety conserns whit doing this? Exept the use of electricite?
And i allso would like to know in what "state" the precipitated silver is on the bottem of my glasbowl? Can i just collect it and melt right away with some kind of flux, and then refine the bar later on?

Kudos to you modtheworld!!

TheGarbageManCan

Ok heres some yield data to look at.I use the one gallon pickle jar so the diameter is around 10inches and I try to get at least 1-2 inches of sediment before I filter cell solution.This normally will fill 2/3 of my filter cone up ,but when dried really good you loose about 3/4 of that mass to water weight.The last batch I did before the one in my cell now was 5.4 grams dried black powder and 3.2 grams metal button after melt.I have gotten almost 10grams so far from around 12-13 silverware pieces forks,spoons and some of that was big spoons and forks.I'm fixing to do my fifth run filtering around five pm today and I'll post the results a little later than that.I plan on introducing a new power supply to see if that speeds my cell production up.The answer to the state its in is Metal ,but if you use a crucible understand it will leave it BLACK so unless you have more than one I don't recommend it,unless its already messed up from a previous melt.You can use Borax 20 mule team washing powder as flux.

The only concern that I can see is if your running it in a small confined area where the hydrogen gas could do a build up and a spark ignites the gas or you breath in large quantitys of it.

Can you provide us with these specs of your cell.

What volt and amps you use?
What gage wire is your clamps on?
What size your cell container is?

As always thanks for your input and support on this project!

modtheworld44

Should we try to remove chlorine from the tap water before running this? (leave it in open air for a day or so)
Or should we try to start with DI water and add a mg or so of NaCl?

it seems to be reacting to the silver and not the base metal. the .925 charm is breaking down. the silver content is too high for the base metal content to be effect to such an extent. very good work. the weather here has been terrible as im sure most of you in the south are aware. my silver plate is stored in a outside shed on the property and my creaking old bones protest the thought of going out to look for it. im getting anxious to try this. my wife said and i quote "i dont care if it is just water, your not setting that up in my sink" i said "ok, ill put it by the bed so i can keep an eye on it". :lol:

Geo said:
it seems to be reacting to the silver and not the base metal. the .925 charm is breaking down. the silver content is too high for the base metal content to be effect to such an extent. very good work. the weather here has been terrible as im sure most of you in the south are aware. my silver plate is stored in a outside shed on the property and my creaking old bones protest the thought of going out to look for it. im getting anxious to try this. my wife said and i quote "i dont care if it is just water, your not setting that up in my sink" i said "ok, ill put it by the bed so i can keep an eye on it". :lol:

Geo

You make me laugh so hard sometimes reading your posts.I wish I was there I'd go get your silver for you.Yes we're all getting this bad weather its just so icky LOL :mrgreen:

MysticColby said:
Should we try to remove chlorine from the tap water before running this? (leave it in open air for a day or so)
Or should we try to start with DI water and add a mg or so of NaCl?

MysticColby

I really don't think it will matter to be honest.Use regular tap water your first time so you can see how it works ,then try it another way that way you can see if something different happens and you can let us know.

Thanks to both of yall for trying this out and for your continueing support.

modtheworld44

Geo said:

Haha i like that^

I will be good to get some more brains in this venture..

My setup is like this atm:
Running 24 V 7 A power. I tryed 24v and 10A, but could'n se any differince.
My glas bowl is around 4 litres/~1,5gal i think.
Catode/anode is sitting aprox 5inc from itchothers- i tryed mohing both closer and longer distance, but could not see any chance.
I have now cleanet the silver of 1 spoon, and 2 suger cups at the size of a grown mans fist, and i think all in all it has run for 12-15h. It won't get the silver inside thise cups, so i'm saveing them, and then i will flatten out with a hammer. I should allso mention that i'm turning the cups as they get strippet, course it seems that they only get strippet on the side facing the catode-or maybe i just needs more patien and it will get there:)
I now have a bit more than 0,5inch gryish sediment on the botten, and the botten of my bowl is messuring 6-7inch in diameter.

Hope this all makes sense.

TheGarbageManCan said:
Geo said:

Haha i like that^

I will be good to get some more brains in this venture..

My setup is like this atm:
Running 24 V 7 A power. I tryed 24v and 10A, but could'n se any differince.
My glas bowl is around 4 litres/~1,5gal i think.
Catode/anode is sitting aprox 5inc from itchothers- i tryed mohing both closer and longer distance, but could not see any chance.
I have now cleanet the silver of 1 spoon, and 2 suger cups at the size of a grown mans fist, and i think all in all it has run for 12-15h. It won't get the silver inside thise cups, so i'm saveing them, and then i will flatten out with a hammer. I should allso mention that i'm turning the cups as they get strippet, course it seems that they only get strippet on the side facing the catode-or maybe i just needs more patien and it will get there:)
I now have a bit more than 0,5inch gryish sediment on the botten, and the botten of my bowl is messuring 6-7inch in diameter.

Hope this all makes sense.

TheGarbageManCan

Thanks for providing specs ,this will help me when I try my new power supply.Can you do one more favor and post what your black powder weighs after it is completely dried in grams and what it weighs after the melt.Stay tuned for some more videos and test results.

modtheworld44

Hello modtheworld and all others.

First off, i most say that its my first time melting silver in this powder metal form- and lets just say that i need practise!

First i siphonet off most of the water, then poured the rest of it in a steel pot to waperize the remaining water of.
Then i scraped all powder out, and waighet it to 2,6g.
Then after a very long batlel at melting (some powder got blown away, then i poured some borax over it with more succes) i ended up with 0,7g silver butten!
So i would say that you can't use these numbers for anything!! But, it will sertenly lose waight before and after melt.
Allso, next time i will gather more silver powder before melt.
And last but not least, it will make your melting dish black, so this dish is for this only.

All in all, very good experience, but i need more practise.

yeah, I would expect it would only deplate from the side facing the cathode, and only at the nearest parts. Especially with the low conductivity of the water, electricity will flow most through the easiest path, which is overwhelmingly the shortest distance through water.
I'm impressed you're able to get 24v and 7A. there must be a lot of silver ions in the water to decrease the resistance. Maybe before harvesting it might be a good idea to add some NaOH to precipitate those ions as silver oxide? I would expect they would flow through the filter otherwise.
One suggestion: use a bent knife (or rod of some sort) as a cathode, then position it inside the cup (but not touching). This should make it so the shortest distance is through the inside of the cup, deplating it.

Did it make the borax black? I'm pretty sure that would indicate that there are oxides being trapped in the borax, meaning some of the base metal is being powderized

MysticColby said:
yeah, I would expect it would only deplate from the side facing the cathode, and only at the nearest parts. Especially with the low conductivity of the water, electricity will flow most through the easiest path, which is overwhelmingly the shortest distance through water.
I'm impressed you're able to get 24v and 7A. there must be a lot of silver ions in the water to decrease the resistance. Maybe before harvesting it might be a good idea to add some NaOH to precipitate those ions as silver oxide? I would expect they would flow through the filter otherwise.
One suggestion: use a bent knife (or rod of some sort) as a cathode, then position it inside the cup (but not touching). This should make it so the shortest distance is through the inside of the cup, deplating it.

Did it make the borax black? I'm pretty sure that would indicate that there are oxides being trapped in the borax, meaning some of the base metal is being powderized

No all parts facing the catode gets strippet, and maybe the side not facing it more patience is givet. I'm trying that right now, course it would be nice if you could strip a full peice, on All sides, without turning as it gets strippet. I will get back with results on that.

I might formulated my words wrong- my sitting on the charger is what i said in that other post, but my amp meter shows 0amp!

Do you think that ther's silver lost? I mean in that black borax in the melting dish? Maybe it's posible to do something with the "silver powder" before melting it?

I guess that without my losts, i would have ended up with~1g from 2,6g

I'm on a bad wifi with my Mobile only, thats why i dont insert pics, but i have a lot of pictures from my process.

@ modtheworld44
In your system (positive connection is cathode and negative connection is anode?)
Please clear this doubt of mine.

chemguy said:
@ modtheworld44
In your system (positive connection is cathode and negative connection is anode?)
Please clear this doubt of mine.

chemguy

The Anode is positive and Cathode is negative.This is a electrolytic cell not a electrochemical cell if it were though you would have the connections right.If you reread the beginning of this thread you'll see thats what I stated.Hope this clears your doubt but if not let me know and I'll see if I can be of further assistance to you.
Thanks for joining in the conversation.

modtheworld44

Back