Processing SilverPlate With H2O Cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious if anyone has reliable yield or purity data from this water cell yet. Is it looking like a viable option (economically)? Or would this be more of a hobby only setup? Does it look like there is any significant scale up potential?

I am a complete newbie to this, but it seems to be the least expensive non toxic way to refine silver. After filtered, how do you recover the silver? Is it just through melting the black nuggets that were in the filter in your video?

emrouleau said:
I am a complete newbie to this, but it seems to be the least expensive non toxic way to refine silver. After filtered, how do you recover the silver? Is it just through melting the black nuggets that were in the filter in your video?

emrouleau

This cell is for recovery of the silver from plate.The silver should still be run through nitric acid to refine it and make sure there's no base metal drag down.Then cementation should be done with copper bus bar or clean copper pipe.Then you can melt and sell it or refine it further using silver cell to grow silver crystals.

modtheworld44

@modtheworld44

What pH is your tap water? ...or better, ask your water provider for a copy of the analysis. My experience, from the time I had some discus fishes, is, they are very kind and give it for free. If you get the copy, please tell us all the measured values.

I would like to give a try to find out, what exactly makes it work.

emrouleau said:
Has anyone used sulfuric acid instead of nitric? Do you, in your opinion, think it would work?

there was a member that made videos of a cell that used copper sulfate as the electrolyte. in the video, it seemed to work great. the silver stays in solution and is cemented out in a corner away from direct line of the anode and cathode.

emrouleau wrote:Has anyone used sulfuric acid instead of nitric? Do you, in your opinion, think it would work?

there was a member that made videos of a cell that used copper sulfate as the electrolyte. in the video, it seemed to work great. the silver stays in solution and is cemented out in a corner away from direct line of the anode and cathode.

CuSO4 cell works great, if you strip copper or stainless steel. Cu-Ni-Zn alloys tend to fastly foul the electrolyte, so either you only strip estimated 80% of the silver or you have to use masses of fresh CuSO4 to change the electrolyte.

I have run more than about 20 batches which each yielded 15-30 g silver, it allmost all was plated Cu-Ni-Zn stuff.

copper sulfate is sold here as root killer in septic systems. i believe you can get a 2 pound container of crystals for around $5.

i believe you can get a 2 pound container of crystals for around $5.

Not too bad, since the copper isn't lost.I guess I could run 5-10 of my batches with 1 kg, changing electrolyte after each batch. But I am not happy with all that Ni-Zn-solution. There I see the advantage in this H2O-cell, which obviously uses the same electrolyte over and over. I must say, it has catched my interest.

When somebody wrote, that there appears silver on the kathode and silveroxide at the anode, it reminded me to a lead accumulator. Have to read more about this making of colloidal silver thing before I join in. Has anybody advisable links at hand?

modtheworld44 said:
resabed01 said:
Pure water (H2O) does not conduct electricity. It acts more like a insulator. That said, it's a poor insulator because it's such a good solvent. It's the impurities in water that allows it to conduct.
If you set up a cell with water and you're getting current flow that's a indicator that there are salts or minerals in the water.

At least that's what I've been taught.

I'm sure theres something in the water that causes this process to work.I just don't know what it is,to many variables to try and figure out.I haven't tried this process with distilled water yet so in conclusion you're probably right ,but we'll know for sure when I do decide to try it with distilled water.
Thanks for showing some interest in my thread.

modtheworld44

Distilled water will likely still have impurities in it that allow conductivity. Pure water will not even freeze at expected temperatures. If your water freezes in your freezer it is not pure. There was an Airbus crash a while back that is expected to be caused by this, they are believed to have hit a storm over the North Atlantic in which the jet became the catalyst that caused the super pure water it was in contact with to freeze instantly, the result was computer system failure and death (sadly). Any city water most distilled water will still contain micro contaminates (mineral not biological) that allow water to be conductive. Also the dust that is on the cathode and anode when you put them in the water will contaminate it allowing for conductivity most probably. The rate of conductivity is the factor to be questioned as the purer the H2O is the slower it should deplate the Silver. It might be possible to add a flux that will help it deplate the gaps and bowls of spoons as well.

I make Colloidal Silver, in doing so I use a silver cathode rode and silver anode rod of the same length, weight and purity.

I used DI water only, it's about as pure as pure can get, no impurities.

I have explained why this reaction works in a previous post on this same thread, on page 2. Here is the short part of the answer:

At the positively charged anode, an oxidation reaction occurs, generating oxygen gas and giving electrons to the anode to complete the circuit:

Anode (oxidation): 2 H2O(l) → O2(g) + 4 H+(aq) + 4e−

Because the the cathode is made of silver, and because the silver oxidizes, small particles of silver, colloidal, are freed up and enter into solution (DI Water).

Silver conducts electricity better than any of the other metals. So the more colloidal silver particles in the water, the better the water conducts electricity and the faster the oxidation/reaction takes place, the more silver in solution etc etc etc.

When making colloidal silver, it starts very slow, towards the end it speeds up considerably. I have watched this many times, I only use distilled water,I have made a lot of colloidal and ionic silver solutions.

Scott

Geo said:
hey Scott, is that for medicinal purposes?

Yes, medicinal, I also put it in my chickens water, I have a pet crow I give it to as well, I haven't taken any antibiotics for years. It's one of the only things known to definitely kill MRSA, and the list goes on and on and on. There is a reason people have used silver in everything from surgery instruments, to just dropping a silver coin in milk before refrigerators.

But yes, medicinal!

Scott

It's one of the only things known to definitely kill MRSA,

Some month ago I read about a hospital in Germany that changed all doorknobs to copper, because MRSA dies after about 15 minutes if applied to copper metal.

Have to write this into my post industrial end time survival guide :lol: I am frightened, my descendants will need such knowledge.

edit: somewhat paradox to use "end time" and "survival" in one sentence, though. But hope is the last thing to die.

Me first me first :lol:
Hey guys
Geos question definitly needs answering
And also how much copper is safe for ingestion

I know someone that does the silver thing I forget how it works but they swear by it

Has anyone heard the book called
The 1 minute cure its about drinking
30% h202 its revered to have cured everything

(DO not try this at home I was told it
will kill you if not done properly)

But this is for another post (hint hint)

Thanks steyr223

Back