Processing SilverPlate With H2O Cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i found this website SilverFacts.com - Silver safety . according to the information provided there, i would be safe to consume 0.625 mg's per day. other information details a disorder called Argyria which irreversibly turns your skin blue. of coarse, the cases presented were people that consumed as much as 6g - 20g of silver over a period of years. there is no evidence that silver consumption causes cancer but excess silver intake can damage nerve cells along the spinal column.

according to the formula, i would need the 10 ppm solution. now, is the some way to ensure that amount in solution or should i buy it from a health food store?

Geo said:
i found this website http://www.silverfacts.com/safety.html . according to the information provided there, i would be safe to consume 0.625 mg's per day. other information details a disorder called Argyria which irreversibly turns your skin blue. of coarse, the cases presented were people that consumed as much as 6g - 20g of silver over a period of years. there is no evidence that silver consumption causes cancer but excess silver intake can damage nerve cells along the spinal column.

according to the formula, i would need the 10 ppm solution. now, is the some way to ensure that amount in solution or should i buy it from a health food store?

The people who turn blue, or the disorder called Argyria, those particular people are taking silver in the wrong form, made in the wrong way, and when it makes it to the skin because of the mass doses they are taking it exposes just like silver in film would. There is Ionic and Colloidal, each has their own applications. If you drink the wrong form, it can cause stomach acts.

I have never personally heard of silver causing nerve damage, but there is so little research done on the medicinal properties of silver in the United States. Just recently, and this really rubbed me the wrong way, there was an article in the BBC news that stated or lead the reader to believe that silver, added to antibiotics, made the antibiotics work 10-1000 times better. Fact is it's probably strictly the silver, and not the interaction with antibiotics, that are effective.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22967727

My own personal belief is that this type of information has been suppressed in the US because of the negative impact it would have on the bottom line profit of big pharma. I believe it's also the reason the FDA will not allow anyone to make any health claims about colloidal silver, or allow it to be sold as a remedy in any established retail business. The other problem is very few people are making it correctly, so there are varying results. To make colloidal silver correctly is not as easy as people might lead you to believe, you want the PPM to be 10-20, make 10, 15 and 20 for different applications.

You are probably not going to find it in any health food stores, but if you would like, you can message me and I'll talk with you about it.

Scott

I do not use colloidal silver often, as we are normally healthy, but do use it every now and then.

I made a power supply circuit using a 555 timer integrated circuit, the circuit in a pulsed width modulated power supply.

I also use distilled water and pure silver anode and cathode electrodes, for starting the first batch I hold the anode and cathode close to each other to get some silver into solution and lower the water resistance, store the colloidal silver out of light, you really do not use much silver and a small silver cell with anode and cathode could last you a lifetime.

You can flatten with a flat clean hammer and anvil, cut the .999 silver coin into two long strips of metal (cut in circular pattern and straighten them back out, to make the anode and cathode, clean the surface off well,sanding or scrapping away the outer layer of silver, clean electrodes well and dry after making your solution and store them in a plastic bag so they will be clean the next time you make a batch, some people use 9 volt battery's (sometimes two in series) for the power supply. if you would like the pulse width modulated 555 timer circuit and are handy with electronics I could dig it up, it has been many years since I studied colloidal silver, but when I did pulse width plating was supposed to be the best method for making colloidal silver, the colloidal silver should look clear, after storing the colloidal silver I make, using the same glass for many years, the glass I use has become a mirror.

Just read, also colloidal silver are nano-particles(?). Nano-particles are suspect to me. No doubt it works for many purposes, but until now I never met any medicine without side effects,- no pain, no gain. I am afraid nano technology will be our new asbestos.

On the other side, really good to know, how to make desinfection agents and bactericidal wound dressings only using simple materials, which are accessable also under conditions of disasters, when you can't get other medical help and supply anymore.

steyr223 said:
I was at a party ,one of the guys needed a spoon to mix up some methamphetamine for the purpose
of injecting

Have you lost your mind? What on earth prompts you to post such garbage here?
May I suggest you pick your friends with more discrimination?

I have no use for druggies. Given the opportunity, I'd have them all put to death.

No, I'm not joking. The filthy bastards have ruined way too many lives.

Harold

The post in which the quote appears has been reported as having no place on this board. I agree. Never again will I tolerate a post that promotes, in any way, the use of drugs. I am going to leave this one, as without it my comments would have no meaning.

IF READERS HOPE TO REMAIN ON THIS BOARD, DO NOT POST ON TOPICS THAT ARE ILLEGAL. DO NOT POST ON POLITICS. DO NOT POST ON RELIGION. DO NOT USE BAD LANGUAGE. DO NOT FLAME. BE MANNERALY, EVEN WHEN YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH COMMENTS MADE.

EDIT:
Note that the post in question has since been deleted by another moderator.

O my God I just read this
I am truly sorry Harold or anyone I might
Have offended it was a decision I made from
a scientific point of view as being able to spread info
That most people would never have access to

For the record I would back your comment on killing
all the drugs, the world would be better off with an actual
Cure instead of spending billions of dollars for only a mask
Of the symptoms with mostely worst side effects

I in no way indorse any drug use prescription or illegal
every drug made that a psychiatrist prescribes
Causes irreversible kidney and brain damage
with in 6 months
Thank God my parents were in my business they saw what
Ritalin did to me and.stopped treatment after 2 weeks

Sorry I reached the bottom of the window

But yes Harold I have had many friends die
From drug use I agree 100%
Unfortunately for us the government doesn't

My girl just had her son 7 years old diagnosed
With I forget the medical term but it is for
Overactive internet use
they prescribed him some.psychiatric drugs

Not my place but I made it my place
I tore the prescription up and told her if I ever see
any drugs for him or hear of him taking them
I would break both her.arms
anyways I do apologize steyr223 rob

Hi been running this cell on and off for a week A couple of hours a day. This is about my third time trying this The first two times I got Silver chloride this time I have crystals growing on the anode and the cathode after I turned it off for the night and it's been sitting for two days. I'm using a 12 V battery charger and the water mixture was about quarter distilled water and three quarters tapwater. Any suggestions on why this happened

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 168
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 168
cheechQ,

I would need more details of what you are trying to do, to give a better answer.

It looks like you are using a spoon?
if you are trying to make colloidal silver you need pure silver, and distilled water, not a spoon which at best would be sterling silver (copper would contaminate the colloidal silver which would make it poisonous), you also would not want to use tap water, too many minerals or things like chlorine or other water treatment chemicals.

Looks like you are plating out silver...

Without more details of what it is you are trying to do, all I can do is guess by what you stated and what I can gather from the picture...

I'm using this process to pull off silver from Silver plated silverware. I have done this and recovered silver from my first two tries the third try is just giving me crystals . The first two tries was straight tap water. The third try I started with distilled water and it wasn't working so I empty out three quarters of it and added tap water. And this is what I got.

butcher said:
You can flatten with a flat clean hammer and anvil, cut the .999 silver coin into two long strips of metal (cut in circular pattern and straighten them back out, to make the anode and cathode, clean the surface off well,sanding or scrapping away the outer layer of silver, clean electrodes well and dry after making your solution and store them in a plastic bag so they will be clean the next time you make a batch, some people use 9 volt battery's (sometimes two in series) for the power supply. if you would like the pulse width modulated 555 timer circuit and are handy with electronics I could dig it up, it has been many years since I studied colloidal silver, but when I did pulse width plating was supposed to be the best method for making colloidal silver, the colloidal silver should look clear, after storing the colloidal silver I make, using the same glass for many years, the glass I use has become a mirror.

I'd like to see that circuit. I tried colloidal silver using a generator I bought that turned out to be just 2 silver wires hooked to a single 9 volt battey. That made a cloudy, solution with a very metalic taste.

cheechQ said:
I'm using this process to pull off silver from Silver plated silverware. I have done this and recovered silver from my first two tries the third try is just giving me crystals . The first two tries was straight tap water. The third try I started with distilled water and it wasn't working so I empty out three quarters of it and added tap water. And this is what I got.

cheechQ

There's nothing wrong with your setup.When you first start your cell you generate colloidal silver hence the slow color change in solution.The growth is from where the base metals are cementing it back out.If you were to take a small sample of the solution and filter it absolutely clear,then let it sit in a sealed jar it will change to a pink then brown color in a day or two.Thats why I say to filter solution and reuse so you don't lose silver.Also if by chance you filter it so you can store the solution for use later,make sure to store it in a sealed container.If you want to get the colloidal silver back,just let the water evaporate off and the silver will drop out.Hope this helps.

P.S. I'm glad to see you still using it.What was your yields like?

cheechQ,
Thanks for giving us a little more details to go on, water is not the best electrolyte, although with enough impurity's it will conduct electricity and will dissolve some metal ions in solution, the water itself can be split into H and OH creating more of an environment for becoming an electrolyte as Hydrogen or oxygen escape the solution could become somewhat caustic holding the metal cation ions in solution easier in with the hydroxide anions in solution.

What you are trying to do will not work that well, both metals will be forced to dissolve at the anode by the force of electrolysis from the power supply pulling electrons from the anode metal atoms t=freeing the metal as ions in solution in the electrolyte, these metal cations will migrate to the cathode area where they are reduced gaining electrons at the cathode and plating out of solution as metal atoms, basically you will not separate the copper silver and other metals. the anode will oxidize all of the metals in the spoon and they will reduce at the cathode.

It will work to break down the metals from a solid bar to more of a metal powder but not separate them.

There is no easy or proven method to do what you are trying to do, there have been several thoughts on trying to find a good electrolyte, or a good method, but none proven to be a good solution to the problem, the problem of separation of metals and an effective way to recover the silver, I have tried several electrolytes with some fair results at making a mixed metal sludge that could be further processed to recover the silver from, but nothing I would call a good method yet.

To be effective a better electrolyte may work, like a concentrated sulfuric acid cell where the base metal copper would not be as apt to dissolve into solution, a 98% H2SO4 acid with a very small amount of HNO3 (5% of electrolyte) may work, I have read where they used this to refinish silver plating to remove silver from the plated articles, (GSP has also commented on this deplating method several times), when they used this method to remove the silver plate they did not recover the silver as they were only interested in removing the silver to re-plate the item, I never tried it but I believe it may work as a method in recovery of silver from the de-plated item, my belief is if run long enough I believe much of the silver should fall out as cathode mud or plate out of solution, although the electrolyte would most likely hold a lot of silver sulfate in the concentrated solution, which if solution was diluted (by pouring concentrated H2SO4 silver sulfate solution into water for safety reasons) the silver sulfate would be less soluble, and then the remaining silver, could be removed from solution as chlorides by adding NaCl to form insoluble silver chloride.
my plan is to someday experiment with it, but as for now I can only guess if it would work or not.

bmgold2,
What you are looking for is a 555 timer circuit with a 50% duty cycle pulse width modulated circuit, you can search for schematics on this circuit until you find one you like, here are a couple of tutorials that can help get you started, the 555 timer IC (integrated circuit) is a great circuit you can build a lot of different things by changing a few external components, it is a very use circuit to learn, you can build hundreds of very useful things from this little chip.
You can find tons of information and circuits using the 555 timers IC.
Here are a couple of tutorials which can help you learn to build a modulated 50% duty cycle power supply.
http://www.williamson-labs.com/555-circuits.htm#50
http://www.electronics.dit.ie/staff/mtully/555 folder/555 timer.htm

Today I tried this H2O-cell with tap water at 24V and 0,3A, medium hardness, pH7,5, some chlorides, some sulfate, very low nitrate. Got a white cloud from the graphite cathode. The white powder turned violet-gray, typical for AgCl, in the filter. The pH raised immediately to 8,5. Gas production at the cathode, no odor, I guess H2. At the silver plated german silver anode, no gas occurred, maybe it turned a little darker. Some black particles floated around in the electrolyte.

My first guess would be, that nascent state oxygen at the cathode oxidizes any metal it meets to oxides. Since they aren't soluble, they are out of the system. The raising of the pH may be a matter of lost H2 in the air and lost Cl- to AgCl, so the traces of sodium chloride in the water form some NaOH until no chloride is left in solution. So in my theory the solids are a blend of AgCl, traces of Ag2SO4 and AgNO3 (which both cement back), silver oxides and elemental silver that flakes of mechanically or wanders caught in instable complex hydroxy clusters over to the cathode. As soon as the german silver is exposed I would expect copper oxide, nickel oxide and zinc oxide. If this is true, this method works, because it is NOT selective, not even to the base metals. The nascent state oxygen just catches the next metal atom it mets.

Please comment.

Very interesting: first I got AgCl, after filtering and another 30 min I got what looks like fairly pure (light gray) silver cement, now, after filtering again and another 30min electrolysis I get a brown powder like heavily copper contaminated silver.

I have no solid idea how this works, but it solves the biggest problem, the fouling of conventional electrolytes. Until now, my best advice is just to put a hand full flatware pieces loosely into a big beaker, stick one longer piece like a fork or spoon into it to have a contact and hang a thick graphite cathode into the water from above, some cm from the flatware, use 24V, let it sit (maybe over night)/filter/decant the electrolyte after 30-45min of electrolysis.

modtheworld44, thank you for sharing this ingenious method!!!

Back