Gold inside chips (black, flatpacks - not CPU)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
patnor1011 said:
One picture to see difference.
Material on left side was washed once. Slow careful wash to remove only super fine particles which come off as colored dirty water. After that remainder was dried and crushed again - container on right side.
This first wash reduced starting volume by half. Every following wash/dry/crush removed about half of volume. It goes faster as volume decrease and at the end you are left with few spoon fulls of concentrate majority of which is gold bonding wires (by weight).
I repeat this about 5 times to get to smallest amount of concentrate possible.
All the time washed super fine powder is being collected only to be run in long sluice one/two times. (one time only if no bonding wires detected)
BGA IC feed-stock pictured.

DSC01317.JPG

Pat, I have made a very crude sluice and seem to have about the same returns you have up until the part I noted in red. The long sluice you mention, is that the one you made from a rain gutter? If so, how often do you find gold remaining in your washed ash at this point?

While I am in the progress of improving my sluice (and abilities using it) here is a look at the first time I used it. On the fourth run, I found no detectable gold, not even when the small remains were run in AR and stannous tested. All the visible gold is within the first 8 to 10 inches of the matting.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfTZ3EepIEI[/youtube]

Yes, my long one is the gutter one.
How many times do I find gold there? That depend on one crucial factor. Time spent running material first time. The longer it take or better said the slower you do it, the better recovery is what you get.
When I do first runs very carefully and slow then washed powder is generally just a waste without any gold. The slow run also mean you run material more times as slow run remove fewer ashes.
Sluice run, dry, grind, sieve, and repeat. Sometimes I do use sluice, sometimes buckets. That depend on volume or weather or just mood.

Thanks Pat. I have quite a bit of ash left from previous attempts using a pan. I am sure I missed a good bit of the gold and feel this sluice will be a big help in getting it back. I have tried using buckets in the past as well, and actually had pretty good results, I just need something I can work while handling less weight than a bucket full of water for a while. I need a better way to classify the material also, I think that will be a key factor with this sluice on very fine material.

I made a few modifications to my home made sluice and was surprised at the results. Here is a quick look at it in the current configuration. Operating similar to a mini high banker.

Full View.JPG

Spray Area.JPG

I found a few more traces that I missed from panning, and had run it three times already through the first sluice configuration.

Found a bit more..JPG

I hope to use this along with my mini high banker in some creeks later this summer if all goes well. It still needs some work, but getting it ready is half the fun. I may do some more changes tomorrow and try running the same material again.

Looks good.
I would try to straighten matting, make it more flat. As it looks to me it is in some kind of U shape and you risk that lowest point get clogged with heavy material quick and some specks of gold may get carried away over them. U shape is good just make bottom of it as flat and wide as possible.
I have used gutter as I did not had enough of matting but if you do have access to more I think that the wider it is the better it will be. My gutter sluice is way too long and also not too wide so I need to clean it more often. Other sluice in my video is ideal. I do use that one and gutter one only for double checking waste if I got all the gold.

I finally got around to trimming the mat and retesting it. Here is the new configuration.

IMG_0511.jpg

It worked very well, much better than having it curved into the bottom of the sluice. After making the changes I ran all my ash again and still came out with gold. Very little yes, but enough to make the changes well worth while. I am close to trying a wider sluice with the same matting but twice as wide. My water pump may not have enough water volume to run it with out some help, but I will find out pretty soon.

Little offtopic as this material was not from IC but I did not want to start a new thread. Enjoy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdao8hDjz54&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

And here they are with yet more siblings, it is a pity that I forgot to picture all of them as there were another 4 bars to be melted.

20170622_060051.jpg

And the last one where I put them on top of the box with gold plated pins.

20170621_194120.jpg

Master chef de pour was Jon (anachronism) :wink:
I was just watching him but next time I will pour some myself 8)
They do look like some chocolate bars :D

Yeah Nickvc, Patnor, and me had a week's refining together. Sadly Goran was busy that week otherwise he would have come too but we'll have another week together soon enough. It's good to work together and compare notes because everyone knows something that the others don't know and it brings everything together in such a way that everyone benefits.

I'd already worked with Nick on a number of occasions but as we discovered Patnor really is a top bloke too. I think he enjoyed it. 8)

Jon

That's some nice looking bars! Better put my sunglasses on. 8)

I'm really sad I couldn't join you guys but better luck next time. Having my own company it can go from no plans to six weeks of 12 hour days in a matter of days.

Göran

Hmm.
Nice.
Sometimes I really wish I could be a fly on the wall, preferably on the outside of the fume hood :lol: :wink:
Watching you guys working would be close to nirvana for a newbie like me :D

BR Per-Ove

Back